Herding Ht

Just got a flyer about the herding clinic in Victoria in July & August, I gotta get my act together & come over to it, pretty sure I'll regret it if I don't. First step is to see all my bosses & square it with them, then decide which dog to use, right, on to it :laugh:.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Australian Shepherd Club of Victoria has kindly sponsored the travel and

accomodation of Mrs Trudy Viklund to Australia. The team at VicHerding are

thrilled to host Trudy here at Nyora and are excited to offer the following

opportunities for people to undertake training to assist them in moving into

driving to successfully compete at Intermediate and Advanced levels.

You can find out more about Trudy from her website www.doublevstockdogs.com

She has also worked with (and is recommended by) Lynn Leach of Downriver

Farms who proved an outstanding trainer when over here several years ago.

Trudy and her husband Dave have Australian Shepherds and Working Kelpies.

They have also worked with a wide range of breeds including Rottweilers,

OES, Belgians, Border Collies etc.

These clinics are offered at an incredibly reasonable price of $200 per

dog/handler for the weekend. Fence sitters (auditors) are welcome for a cost

of $50 for the weekend. This includes food during the day. Camping may be

available (talk to Kate about it).

These places (limited to 8 dogs/handlers) will fill quickly so if you are

interested please email Kate at [email protected] and then send a $50

non-refundable deposit to confirm your booking. Refunds will only occur if

the place can be filled by another participant.

31 July/1 August - Intermediate level clinic - developing driving. Dogs must

have Herding Started title and be reasonably clear with their flanking

commands (left and right <g>)

7/8 August - Started level clinic - getting the most out of your dog in

trialling and a very basic intro to driving (exercises to learn and

practice). Dogs to have PT title and be preparing or trialling in started.

15/16 - Intermediate level clinic - developing driving. Dogs must have

Herding Started title and be reasonably clear with their flanking commands

(left and right <g>)

We are looking forward to a great series of weekends to help us all move the

awesome sport of herding forward and particularly to get the chance to work

with a clinician who has expereience with a range of breeds at higher level

training.

The Australian Shepherd Club of Victoria has kindly sponsored the travel and

accomodation of Mrs Trudy Viklund to Australia. The team at VicHerding are

thrilled to host Trudy here at Nyora and are excited to offer the following

opportunities for people to undertake training to assist them in moving into

driving to successfully compete at Intermediate and Advanced levels.

Thanks Jules. Sounds fantastic, if only the budget would allow for it, by the time I take time off work to travel and pay fuel etc as well I probably can't manage it. Will have a look at the finances though as it sounds like a great opportunity.

I would really, really like some lessons from a 3 sheep, border collie loving farmer type dude!!! Anyone know of anyone?

Contact the working sheepdog assoc in Victoria, I am sure they could put you in touch with someone.

I would really, really like some lessons from a 3 sheep, border collie loving farmer type dude!!! Anyone know of anyone?

Colin Webster if he ever does another clinic down there.

Congratulations Dova on you titles and HITs :laugh:

I think I need some sheepies. Was out practicing stops and I told Poppy to 'get around' Brock (4yo border collie). She did it very enthusiastically but the look on poor Brock's face was priceless. I was :dancingelephant: . The poor baby was like 'I am NOT a sheep'! :birthday::cheer:

I think I need some sheepies. Was out practicing stops and I told Poppy to 'get around' Brock (4yo border collie). She did it very enthusiastically but the look on poor Brock's face was priceless. I was :dancingelephant: . The poor baby was like 'I am NOT a sheep'! :birthday::cheer:

If I give a directional cue when there are no stock present mine take 2 or 3 steps and turn back to stare at me like I am clearly crazy. With a bit of effort and actually taking them around what I want them to go around they will then do it - Piper feels the need to bark her head off off let out a high pitch whine while doing it.

I need to start Jazz on inside flanks for driving. We had a clinic with Tull from Tasmania and she showed us how to get going the trouble is we lack access to stock to be able to practice. Jazz had not been on stock since August so her first few minutes were a little wild and someone commented to me that they had never seen her look out of control on stock as she is always so quiet so it took them by surprise. When I worked out how long it had been since she was on sheep I was more surprised that she actually settled and listened!

I originally taught 'go around' around a rubbish bin :dancingelephant:

Yes I taught them around obstacles as well but once they transfered the cue to stock then that was it with both of them - that is what they look for, lol.

Mind you if I persisted I am sure I could get past that but I am not really worried about it, I only used items at home to develop the concept due to lack of stock. And typing this has given me a light bulb moment - I could kick start inside flanks the same way....

You really need to attend a clinic with Greg Prince.

Apart from being one of the best handlers in Australia, he and his wife Jan are the nicest people!!

I originally taught 'go around' around a rubbish bin :laugh:

Yes I taught them around obstacles as well but once they transfered the cue to stock then that was it with both of them - that is what they look for, lol.

Mind you if I persisted I am sure I could get past that but I am not really worried about it, I only used items at home to develop the concept due to lack of stock. And typing this has given me a light bulb moment - I could kick start inside flanks the same way....

Although somtimes when you teach commands "dry" (as in not on sheep) they can loose some of thier natural work. They tend to respond solely to you and not react to the sheep. Which for us it has been a bad thing.

We do do some work without sheep, mainly stops and reverse etc, but we really do try to do as much work as possible on sheep.

Although somtimes when you teach commands "dry" (as in not on sheep) they can loose some of thier natural work. They tend to respond solely to you and not react to the sheep. Which for us it has been a bad thing.

We do do some work without sheep, mainly stops and reverse etc, but we really do try to do as much work as possible on sheep.

ideally I prefer to train on stock rather than dry but we can go upto 4 months without access to stock so I like to make the most of the rare opportunities when we get them. Giving the dog an understanding of the concept and command means we can maximise our training on stock when we get it.

Jazz is a lovely natural worker, in fact at the clinic we discussed a few things she needs work on that had been over looked as she gets the job done so nicely herself. She runs wide and is not grippy. I have never worked on getting her to find stock that she can not see yet the other weekend put her into a paddock and gave her a flank command then asked her to go on, I saw her body language change as she got sight f the stock and then disappeared put of view and calmly returned with her sheep not long after. It was such a buzz :thumbsup: dry training helped here as she understood the commands I used to send her out.

You really need to attend a clinic with Greg Prince.

Apart from being one of the best handlers in Australia, he and his wife Jan are the nicest people!!

I agree. Greg is the best person to see if you want to learn about 3 sheep training or just basic training for any dog starting stock work.

My initial reaction to the herding clinic was why bring out someone from overseas when there are so many good sheep dog trainers here? Is it that people are not prepared to help with dogs that are competing in herding rather than 3 sheep events? I went to a training day some years ago and was disappointed to hear some of the experienced people referring to pet Border Collies as fluffies. I had hoped things would have improved by now. They didn't have much good to say about Kelpies either but I don't worry about that.

I agree. Greg is the best person to see if you want to learn about 3 sheep training or just basic training for any dog starting stock work.

My initial reaction to the herding clinic was why bring out someone from overseas when there are so many good sheep dog trainers here? Is it that people are not prepared to help with dogs that are competing in herding rather than 3 sheep events? I went to a training day some years ago and was disappointed to hear some of the experienced people referring to pet Border Collies as fluffies. I had hoped things would have improved by now. They didn't have much good to say about Kelpies either but I don't worry about that.

I have been to Greg Prince clinics and he is very good.

I would like to see a good ISDS style trainer bought out to teach driving and shedding but preferably someone with experience shedding merinos :thumbsup:

I know that Greg will help anyone and isnt restricted at 3 sheep triallers. His clinics are for "stock dog handlers", which covers everyone. He will help anyone and will not criticse thier dogs in a negative way at all. It is not his style.

Were is Greg?

I guess for the clinic it is the Aussie Shep club bringing out an Aussie Shep herding person. Makes perfect sense as the breeds do all work differently. Aussie Sheps obviously haven't been used here in Australia like they have in America, it is an American breed afterall.

The diversity of breeds in my herding club is wonderful though and makes it a stack of fun, I don't think the diversity is happening so much in other states??