Herding Ht

1. Yes you need a decent recall as you need to show a recall in HIT & HT. But unlike obedience you don't have to just give one command, you can get a bit more excited about it.

2. Most of us are talking about the ANKC trials on here. There are also open yard trials.

3. Instinct test - you are in a pretty small area. You walk in with your dog on a long lead. You need to show a 'stop' which is a sit or drop. You need to show a recall. You need the dog to show interest in the stock. This can all be done on the long lead.

4. Not sure on details about QLD. Start with your state ANKC body perhaps.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know herding is finished for this year but being a herding tragic :mad I'm already thinking about 2010 & maybe going to some Victorian trials. Are there herding trials around Bendigo, Ballarat, Echuca or that sort of distance from the SA border, sorry if that's a bit of a vague :eek: discription but this is all in the "thinking" stage at the moment & I don't travel much. Also really happy with the way my two are going I want to get them out as much as possible.

Hiya Herding peoples

I'm trying to find out more about herding training days. I've sent a message to the Vic Herding Assoc, but no reply yet. From what I have been able to decipher the training seems to be out east of Melb. Does anyone know if there is anything in the west or Geelong way?

I'd like to get her involved early as she is really quick to learn and needs quite a bit of variety in her education. We are doing obedience and will start agility as soon as she is old enough, but I'd like to dabble in herding.

She is starting to show some aptitude for it at my friends farm, particularly in the last couple of weeks. I do try to explain to her that chickens don't herd, but she has shown a keen interest in the large flock of geese they have. They have goslings at the moment though so I'm keeping her away from them because the poor little tykes legs can't keep up when she pushes the flock up.

Thanks

The ANKC trials that I have been to in Vic have been at KCC Park, Skye.

Thanks for that Jules, could be a bit far to travel all on my own, yep bit of a wimp about long distances alone :cheer:. I think the working Coolies & the Koolie Club have trials/training days a bit closer so might see what they've got planned.

Gotta tell you about our last training session ;), we changed the course & put a pen up in the middle of the paddock again, haven't had it for a while, couldn't pen the sheep first time around but did the 2nd. Here's the reason I was :cheers:, Izzi & I got the sheep through the rest of the course then came "THE PEN", Izzi is getting better at her walk up & was working well, she had the sheep almost in when "OH NO" the pen started to collapse :cheer:, I thought no way was I giving up so grabbed the gate & held the pen together until Izzi put 2 sheep in & shut the gate, HAHAAAAA success, the other sheep ran out when the panel fell on it :cheer: can't really blame her I guess. I pulled some string out of my pockett & fixed the yard so when Pebbles had her go it would stay in one piece :cheers:, her turn came & woohoo she got them all in & no wardrobe malfunctions. Afterwards a friend & I went to the local bakery & did :hug: over coffee, cake & sandwiches, yesss I love my dogs. Nearly finished, promise :cheer:, Izzi & Pebbles are getting so much better at their stops, walk up & we're putting more work into casting as well, now you can see why I'm looking for more trials, want to use all our training. Ok done now, sorry about the epic tale :D.

I know herding is finished for this year but being a herding tragic :D I'm already thinking about 2010 & maybe going to some Victorian trials. Are there herding trials around Bendigo, Ballarat, Echuca or that sort of distance from the SA border, sorry if that's a bit of a vague :hug: discription but this is all in the "thinking" stage at the moment & I don't travel much. Also really happy with the way my two are going I want to get them out as much as possible.

We have one more double trial this year at the Spring Fair. I have to do the entries in today and I don't know whether to enter Advanced A or wait till next year.

There is also a short course and a 3 sheep trial on at EP the same weekend and I am definitely entering both of them. It is about time I got of my butt and tried a few 3 sheep trials.

Cole did some very good advanced cross drives in training this weekend so I have bitten the bullet and entered him in advanced in 2 weeks. I must be mad.

EtA He actually does the advanced cross drives better than the intermediate ones - probably because I have to stay at the hold pen till the sheep reach 5 so can't flap around like an idiot :love:

Edited by Janba

• 2 weeks later...

We did our first advanced A course at todays trial. He did a beautiful run to the cross drive, got them off the fence at 4 nicley and to the centre line gates the we lost them because of handler error and they ended up back at 4. He couldn't get them off the fence again so I withdrew and helped him. I felt that he handled the advanced well and we hadn't lost that many points when I retired but even if I'd kept going we would have timed out as we only had a minute left.

On a better note he got a pass in intermediate B with 89 and did a good run in the short course.

We did our first advanced A course at todays trial. He did a beautiful run to the cross drive, got them off the fence at 4 nicley and to the centre line gates the we lost them because of handler error and they ended up back at 4. He couldn't get them off the fence again so I withdrew and helped him. I felt that he handled the advanced well and we hadn't lost that many points when I retired but even if I'd kept going we would have timed out as we only had a minute left.

On a better note he got a pass in intermediate B with 89 and did a good run in the short course.

Sounds like it was well worth while entering him in Advanced, Janba. And that he was a good boy overall. Good on you for helping him out - it's important I think to help them when they need it - helps to build confidence I think - and trust between you and the dog. I used to have to help Kirra when we were working on my friend's farm - and my friend would help her working BCs if they needed it.

A friend of mine told me there's going to be a 3 day herding trial in Tasmania at Easter next year & I thought that'd be great but I'd never travel that far, buuut I seem to keep thinking about spending 3 days trialing with lots of new people & dogs that love herding :), does this mean I'm a true blue addicted herding tragic :):o. Going training Tuesday & will see how my new Kelpie goes might be trialing 3 dogs next year :o what am I thinking. Delta was a rescue, got her Wednesday, she was in hospital Thursday for her shots, microchip, desexing & to dig SIX grass seeds out of her bum, poor little thing, she's sooooo sweet & loving :), so we'll see if she's got any herding instinct :o.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep you are a tragic! ;) Have fun training the new doggie :o

We had a lesson Thursday & Delta was soooo good she balanced me no matter where I walked & wasn't taking any BS from no damned sheep :D so looks like she's going to be a strong worker. Pretty sure she'll pass her instinct test, to bad I can't enter the instinct & PT at the one trial but I'll be working three dogs as it is ;), hahaaaa can't wait :D.

• 1 month later...

Need to have a huge brag here as well, already been to the Aussie Shepherd & Kelpie sites but I'm just bustin with proud :). Went herding training yesterday & instead of working in the yard around obstacles we went out in the paddock, none of the dogs have ever done that before so I wasn't sure what would happen, hope youv'e all got some water & a sandwich it's a long post :D. Izzi went out first & didn't do to bad, she gets a bit nervous with new things so took a bit of work to get her going but she went well :). Next was Pebbles, thought there'd be sheep in all directions because she's very, ummm, enthusiastic :), but, SURPRISED look on face, she cast out collected the sheep & brought them all back to me & worked them as a mob, not 16 sheep, :eek:, she worked soooo well I couldn't pat her enough. Then came Delta, 4th time at training, wasn't sure how she'd do being so new & I haven't taught her any cues yet, she took a few minutes to engage but when she did the sheep knew who was boss. Delta gets in & pushes the sheep when necessary then drops back if alls going well, Pebbles is coming along way better than I ever though she would & Izzi's a natural but I've got to be carefull not to get frustraited with her, so now if I don't stuff up the herding season should be a good one.

All most forgot there were 16 sheep, we usually only work 3-5, 10 were untrained Texals, spelling?, & 6 were trained, cant stop :p & :eek::cry::laugh::( & :) my girls, sorry bit over the top but I'm really proud of my girls. Ok done now, till nex time that is :(.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting our herding thread!

I went to my first clinic this year on the weekend. Poppy was a good girl. I feel like we are lacking commands though and that we are still doing everything on instinct. This has got me a bit spooked about doing a started test. I did 3 goes at a started course and we got round each time but I felt like it was a fluke!

Poppy is quite keen at driving so I was thinking about doing started by driving rather than fetching. Is this a silly idea? All the coordination of getting the dog, sheep in position at the mouth of the obstacles gives me a headache!!

Just got a pic of Poppy in action.

post-10280-1269213558_thumb.jpg

Edited by JulesP

Resurrecting our herding thread!

I went to my first clinic this year on the weekend. Poppy was a good girl. I feel like we are lacking commands though and that we are still doing everything on instinct. This has got me a bit spooked about doing a started test. I did 3 goes at a started course and we got round each time but I felt like it was a fluke!

Poppy is quite keen at driving so I was thinking about doing started by driving rather than fetching. Is this a silly idea? All the coordination of getting the dog, sheep in position at the mouth of the obstacles gives me a headache!!

Just got a pic of Poppy in action.

post-10280-1269213558_thumb.jpg

Jules,

In that pic she certainly looks to be fetching rather than driving, but if you feel she drives better and you feel more confident that way then go with it. There is no rule to see in what manner the course must be attempted for started. In fact it will give you a leg up for the other levels where you have to drive sections of the course.

Having said that, personally I find if you don't have good control of side commands and stop that driving is MUCH harder than fetching. But that could just be me as my 2 girls have both balanced very easily and naturally so altering my position would force them to alter theirs and give me a chance to put the changfe of direction on cue.

Hi guys, I have just joined the Vic Herding yahoo group, but I feel really lost. I have never joined a yahoo group, and have no idea of how it all works. anyway, I am hoping it will make some sense to me as I familiarise myself with it.

Anyway, I am hoping to access schedules etc and any other stuff I can learn/gain from that site/group.

Is there anything else that a complete herding newb like myself should know or do to learn more or become more involved.

At this point I plan to enter a test or some tests on the april test day.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

:)

Jules, I have no idea about fetching and driving, but it looks like a great photo to me.

Edited by dyzney

Just got the schedule (spelling?) for the April trial, WOOHOO :laugh:. Think I'll enter Delta for the instinct on ducks & the PT on sheep, it's her first time out but she's working sooooo well. Guess I'll end up with a monster brag or a very red face :laugh:, hell nothing ventured nothing gained :laugh:, Izzi needs one pass for her HSAS & Pebbles needs two so :laugh: I'm hoping to to be doing a :laugh: for a week :laugh: I live in hope.

Jules, I have no idea about fetching and driving, but it looks like a great photo to me.

Fetching is when the dog is bringing the sheep to you regardless of wether you are stationary or moving. It goes you, sheep dog. Driving is when the dog is taking the sheep away from you and is you dog sheep. In Jules picture Poppy is fetching as the sheep are between her and the dog.

In this picture the dog is driving away from me - I am standing at the pen you can see in the right

IMG_1056.jpg

In this one I am standing at the start peg C which in this arena is about 20m to the dogs left

IMG_10492.jpg

Edited by Janba