Herding Ht

Were is Greg?

I guess for the clinic it is the Aussie Shep club bringing out an Aussie Shep herding person. Makes perfect sense as the breeds do all work differently. Aussie Sheps obviously haven't been used here in Australia like they have in America, it is an American breed afterall.

The diversity of breeds in my herding club is wonderful though and makes it a stack of fun, I don't think the diversity is happening so much in other states??

Greg lives in Dubbo, in NSW, but he will do clinics anywhere. He regualry does clinics in Victoria, SA and Qld.

I think he needs 12-15 people to run a school.

Edited by cry123

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just about to put my name down for the Aussie Shepherd club's clinic in July, soooo nervous I'll be driving over by myself & got no idea :cool: where I'm going :D, I'll be easy to pick out of the crowd, very white face & hair pulled out :rofl:. Thought I'd better hurry up & enter, got an email from a friend yelling at me in red letters to hurry up & do it before I chicken out :D, see you there. Deciding whether to use Pebbles the Aussie or Izzi the Coolie, have to take all 4 with me, think I'll use Izzi because she's the one I need the most help with, still nervous but really looking forward to it :thumbsup:.

Edited by Dova

Just another thought on why clubs bring over overseas trainers - if anyone attended/heard about the Lynn Leach clinics back in 07 - she trains a COMPLETELY different way to anyone I have worked with over here, and it was a huge light bulb moment for me. I can't wait for the Aussie Shep clinic.

Having said that - I would love to do a Greg Prince clinic one day. Haven't seen one advertised in Vic for a long time i.e accessible to us Melbourne folk.

There is certainly some contempt of "herding" (ANKC style) amongst working dog people here in Oz - I think mainly because, as has been mentioned, non-traditional breeds are used much less commonly here to actually work and have only recently started competing, whereas overseas, they've been using all sorts of breeds (work and competition) for a lot longer.

The diversity of breeds in my herding club is wonderful though and makes it a stack of fun, I don't think the diversity is happening so much in other states??

At our herding weekend just gone we had (off the top of my head...) BCs, Aussies, Kelpies, a surprising number of GSDs, a coolie, an ACDx and a sheltie. I think that was about it.

None of the Belgian Shepherd people over here have come out and given it a go. We have had a couple of Beardies and Briards come and try in the past. And 1 of the first dogs in the state competing was an OES. At the moment we would predominantly be Aussies and GSDS - I think they out number the BCs and kelpies at some herding days.

In NSW we regularly have BCs, kelpies, GSDs, beardies, OES, corgis, koolies, Aussies, belgians, rotties and occasionally cattle dogs, shelties, a collie rough, samoyed, a lappie and keeshond and maybe others I can't think of. At one club I train at there is a staffy x kelpie who is good even if he looks more staffy.

Our problem in NSW is getting people to trial and the lack of encouragement from some quarters for non traditional trialling breeds. We do have a high number of SR dogs but we also have two 3 sheep based clubs who train most weekends and quite a few of those people have started doing ANKC herding. People also seem to get their tests and not progress to trialling levels and very few progress past started which is a shame in a state that usually has training available every weekend.

Our problem in NSW is getting people to trial and the lack of encouragement from some quarters for non traditional trialling breeds. We do have a high number of SR dogs but we also have two 3 sheep based clubs who train most weekends and quite a few of those people have started doing ANKC herding. People also seem to get their tests and not progress to trialling levels and very few progress past started which is a shame in a state that usually has training available every weekend.

We have similar issue with regards to people doing tests and not continuing on. At the moment we seem to have a keen group going through started and I hope they will continue on (says me who is currently stuck due to lack of training to move into intermediate!). We don't have the training options available to use that you guys in NSW do though.

Even with the hassles you have with getting/keeping stock for Erskine Park it is still a preferable situation to be in.

We had kelpies, BC, Aussies, Belgians, Corgis, Collies, Rottis at our last clinic.

I would love to see a Rotti, Belgian or Corgi work :) Don't think we have ever had any of those breeds come and try over here. We did have a samoyed get PT (might have been 2 - I know 1 definitely got it)

Oh and I just remembered we had a Giant Schnauzer in PT last trial as well.

Poppy can not cope with samoyeds herding!! It freaks her out, lol. Think she thinks it is just sheep running around.

We also have much more people doing the test levels, a reasonable amount in Started and then a handful in the next levels.

I only wanted to do HT in the beginning! Don't know about intermediate. Poppy does drive, not sure how we will do with her driving to my orders though. She likes to do her own thing. I think I would find it frustrating too, just standing there.

We have similar issue with regards to people doing tests and not continuing on. At the moment we seem to have a keen group going through started and I hope they will continue on (says me who is currently stuck due to lack of training to move into intermediate!). We don't have the training options available to use that you guys in NSW do though.

Even with the hassles you have with getting/keeping stock for Erskine Park it is still a preferable situation to be in.

I was going to be another drop out, because of the cost of traveling for lessons not lack of enthusiam, but the dogs are enjoying it so much & I just can't seem to quit, so I'll just have to chuck in something else & Victoria here we come :).

Agree about the lack of training options here - I really want to do some more but its difficult to get access to stock. Kenz needs more time and exposure before we can get anywhere.

I was going to be another drop out, because of the cost of traveling for lessons not lack of enthusiam, but the dogs are enjoying it so much & I just can't seem to quit, so I'll just have to chuck in something else & Victoria here we come :) .

I used to drive 2 hours each way for a 1 hour lesson every Saturday. I did that for the better part of 2 years with Piper. Now the guy I was going to isn't doing lessons any more and I have a thing called a mortgage impacting on it - the fuel cost is a killer more so than the lesson cost. I do intend on trying to get out to Cass's1 this year though, just not sure when I am going to be able to manage it. Sometimes I think it was better being single and free from financial commitments :o

I can sort of access stock locally but not on a regular basis and none of it dog broke so for training new skills like driving I don't want sheep that will run a million miles as soon as they spot a dog.

Edited by piper

Not strictly herding but I have been having trouble with Cole at the top of a 3 sheep cast. He always goes out nice and wide (hits the fenceline and follows it round) but cuts the top short ending up too close to the sheep and they take of. Today at training we seem to have finally got it. Deep at the top of the cast so he could walk in on his sheep to move them and a controlled lift and fetch back to the square. Not just once but several times in a row. I am so pleased with my boy.

ETA I was so excited at finally getting the cast right the I did no shedding practice :rofl: I will never be ready for advanced B

Edited by Janba

Not strictly herding but I have been having trouble with Cole at the top of a 3 sheep cast. He always goes out nice and wide (hits the fenceline and follows it round) but cuts the top short ending up too close to the sheep and they take of. Today at training we seem to have finally got it. Deep at the top of the cast so he could walk in on his sheep to move them and a controlled lift and fetch back to the square. Not just once but several times in a row. I am so pleased with my boy.

ETA I was so excited at finally getting the cast right the I did no shedding practice :rofl: I will never be ready for advanced B

Anything in particular you did to get him deep at the top as well Janba? I suspect Jazz will have a similar issue - she starts nice and wide but from the limited informal casting we have done she cuts in closer as she gets to the top.

Anything in particular you did to get him deep at the top as well Janba? I suspect Jazz will have a similar issue - she starts nice and wide but from the limited informal casting we have done she cuts in closer as she gets to the top.

I started by just reinforcing the top of the cast. Leaving Cole on the fencline just above the level of the sheep and me standing near the sheep so when I sent him his arc would take him above the sheep. Then when i sent him I was in a position to kick him out. I gradually moved back to towards the start peg but still sent him from part way round. When he was doing that OK i moved him down the fence line with me still at the handlers post and had someone up the top to kick him out if needed and just kept repeating this till hopefully it has become habit.

ETA Cole is a fast caster and quite forceful on his sheep so needs to be deep at the top or they run.

Edited by Janba