Herding Ht

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks again!

Someone said that you weren't doing herding training anymore??

Who said that?????? Like this site don't believe everything you hear.

Herding training still happening. Been a little slow though due to drought and poor starving sheep (bastards cost me a fortune to feed).

Edited by herding_guy

Hey Herding Guy

thanks for the info... has been very helpful...

i have been working with 3 of my dogs.. they all are doing well... biggest battle was me learning to understand what i need to do to get the dogs and sheep in the correct position...

i am seriously considering getting some ducks... as i don't have regular access to sheep...

what do you suggest for those dogs that rush the sheep a little... not sure if its just the sheep(damaraxdorper) or the dogs... but the last session i had my dogs really had to motor to get around the sheep... looks like they were rushing a little, but i am unsure... i feel they were just doing what they needed to get to the head...

i also found that if i started them in a sit they would rush off, but if i walked them steady and let them drift off around the sheep there was less rush to start with, but they still had to go quick...

what do you suggest for those dogs that rush the sheep a little... not sure if its just the sheep(damaraxdorper) or the dogs... but the last session i had my dogs really had to motor to get around the sheep... looks like they were rushing a little, but i am unsure... i feel they were just doing what they needed to get to the head...

i also found that if i started them in a sit they would rush off, but if i walked them steady and let them drift off around the sheep there was less rush to start with, but they still had to go quick...

No problem.

I find Damara great sheep to teach and train dogs on they are very athletic, light, flighty and kind to dogs (unless they have a lamb at foot). However they do flock tightly which doesn’t give the dog good opportunities to gather.

I too have experienced the rushing dog/s …it’s usually the young head strong type dog and have put it down to;

1/ Over heading ie as you said wanting to head all the time…genetic based behaviour.

2/ Dog feeling bored wants to excite things up a bit so he rushes the sheep past you so he can head again.

3/ inexperience….young excited dog.

4/ Dog just being belligerent.

Remedies that helped me….

More experience…ducks would be good for you as long as he doesn’t get to close and pluck ‘em.

Teaching distance – I’ve done this by using fewer and wilder sheep and giving the dog experience on just holding them. A good dog increases his distance so he can hold the little mob together. Also commanding the dog to sit as he gets to the sheep flight threshold helps. This also puts more control on the dog and gives the dog more to do. Always increase pressure on the dog when they come in to close as well.

If it’s a rush on the lift / draw after the initial cast, ie (if I’ve got the terminology correct) when the dog firsts collects his sheep, then teach your dog a drop (clap) sit or stop once he gets behind his sheep. This gives the sheep a chance to get themselves together and start drifting away from the dog and hopefully to you. Teach the dog a “steady” which will give you greater control.

So I suppose a lot of it will sort out with teaching/training, experience and maturity.

I’m sure there are a few good herding people here that may add to this. I work with Kelpies mostly however have started quite a few Borders. I know I’d love to hear from some others too.

Learn more about sheep too. Get out there without your dog and move the sheep around. Watch them and learn. Going to trials and volunteering for let out gives you a great opportunity.

Hey Herding-Guy, welcome back to the age of technology. You must have internet back now...or so it seems! :rofl:

Ive got four kelpies on a treadmill generating power to run the computer and two tin cans and a length of string connecting me to a phone line.....and you don't want to know what the horse is doing.

Edited by herding_guy

Ok all, very excited at the moment :rofl:, took Izzi & Pebbles herding training today & we had the best day, they both worked soooo well, I needed to be hit with a stick but I'll learn :D. The trainer said she wanted to keep Izzi herself, yeah "fat chance", & even got home work to do before we go back there, I need to teach "STOP", both pretty well had it before we left but I need to get it sharper. Pebbles needed to be shooshed more than Izzi, she tended to lose concentration, Izzi was always watching the sheep & me & ready to stop any sheep that strayed. Now I'm about to post my very first entry form for May's herding trial :rofl: & hopefully we'll get our instinct certificate. Enough yapping, don't want to bore everyone to death but just had to tell.

Ok all, very excited at the moment :rofl:, took Izzi & Pebbles herding training today & we had the best day, they both worked soooo well,

That’s great.

Why wait till May? If your in Victoria (I don’t know Murray Bridge) There is a trial on at Easter, Saturday, in Welshpool. There will be a City Slickers class and I heard the judge is really cool.

You can camp there or stay at the caravan park (Toora) or hotel. Camping means you can sit and listen to kelpie dudes yap on about absolute crap for hours and hours (the border collie people just don’t have the stamina). Seriously it will be a great weekend the trials will be held on Saturday and will include a high jump and some other fun events. The City Slicker class would be a great way for you to gain that experience and have some fun. There will also be lots of opportunities for you to work your dogs and get advice/help from some pretty knowledgeable and friendly trainers.

Where & when is the May trial…I’ll try and make it

Kelpie-i….4 cans…..you laugher.

I'm off herdin' tomorrow! Yeah.

I was thinking about getting some of the Darma sheepies. Getting mixed opinions about whether my fencing would keep them in - just have horse fencing wire. Some sheepies would be very handy for paddock chomping.

I looked at that trial but think I would rather make a twit of myself at a ANKC trial first!

I'm off herdin' tomorrow! Yeah.

I was thinking about getting some of the Darma sheepies. Getting mixed opinions about whether my fencing would keep them in - just have horse fencing wire. Some sheepies would be very handy for paddock chomping.

I looked at that trial but think I would rather make a twit of myself at a ANKC trial first!

Damara are great easy care sheep but smart. If your fences are weak, to low they will escape but it keeps your dogs in a job.

You wont make fool of yourself ..... I'm the judge. You'll have a ball.

Have fun tomorrow.

Ok all, very excited at the moment :), took Izzi & Pebbles herding training today & we had the best day, they both worked soooo well,

That’s great.

Why wait till May? If your in Victoria (I don’t know Murray Bridge) There is a trial on at Easter, Saturday, in Welshpool. There will be a City Slickers class and I heard the judge is really cool.

You can camp there or stay at the caravan park (Toora) or hotel. Camping means you can sit and listen to kelpie dudes yap on about absolute crap for hours and hours (the border collie people just don’t have the stamina). Seriously it will be a great weekend the trials will be held on Saturday and will include a high jump and some other fun events. The City Slicker class would be a great way for you to gain that experience and have some fun. There will also be lots of opportunities for you to work your dogs and get advice/help from some pretty knowledgeable and friendly trainers.

Where & when is the May trial…I’ll try and make it

Kelpie-i….4 cans…..you laugher.

Would love to come but it's a bit far for us as Murray Bridge is 80kms east of Adelaide in SA, And us Koolie lot can keep up with them kelpies no probs :rofl:

I am sooooo stuffed! Poppy was a good girl. Had a bit of a dodgy start were she decided that she had to drive and totally refused to run around one way! Got that sorted out and the next runs were good. We did the mock trial and passed HIC & 2 HT (with different judges), so looking promising!

I am sooooo stuffed! Poppy was a good girl. Had a bit of a dodgy start were she decided that she had to drive and totally refused to run around one way! Got that sorted out and the next runs were good. We did the mock trial and passed HIC & 2 HT (with different judges), so looking promising!

Congrats. :o

Any pointers on the recall bit for a strong-eyed dog? Breaking her focus to call her to me is interesting!

Two methods but both need you to have a good stop or sit.

First off lets get on the same page…..my definition of a stop is; stop what you are doing and wait for my next command and remain in control of sheep. Sit means park your bum or lay down, don’t move at all and wait for my next command or a release – do not continue working sheep.

Method one; Stop dog on your right & sheep to your left. Step in between dog and sheep gesturing dog to come towards you and applying pressure at same time so he does. As he approaches say a cue word (I say behind, come, to me) and as he passes you swing round to your right adding pressure to your dog to move on and add cue word to go back around sheep to your left. Remember this is teaching and the dog needs to be set up to win. Cue words are added to actions…..reward for moving towards you is heading the sheep.

Method two; teach dog a solid recall off sheep on lead, so you have full control, then take dog to more sheep in another yard. This way the dog learns that if he comes to you when called he will get more work.

Both methods are a little difficult for me to convey as written word and are much easier taught visually.

Remember the dog should see you as a gateway to the sheep and not a hurdle. So always teach with kindness and only correct when the dog knows.

Well done, bet your pleased as well as stuffed even with the dodgy start, hope I can have a brag after our trial in May. Been doing my home work with Pebbles & Izzi so should have our stops ready for the next training day on the 17th, fingers X'ed :( .

First trial is in a couple of weeks :) Still trying to work out if I will try and get my HIC & the 2 HTs in the one trial. Sure it wouldn't be a problem for an experienced herder but we are both newbies!