Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

Thanks guys, that was a big help! So if he's the only Minor dog, he will automatically go in for Challenge, what happens in the Challenge ring? Assuming there are multiple dogs eligable, if another dog places Challenge do the rest of the dogs stay in for Reserve Challenge?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All age classes above baby puppy are eligible for challenge points. So if he wins Minor then he competes for the challenge. The class winners stay in the ring after challenge dog is awarded, and the second place getter from the class the challenge winner came from comes into the ring (provided there is one). It is then considered with the class winners for the reserve challenge. If there is no second place getter from the challeng winner's class, then the other class winners stay in the ring and only they are considered for the reserve challenge.

Edited by ellz

Hi guys, I have recently joined Dogs NSW and have received two magazines now for July and August. Im confused about what shows i can enter.

Im in the Maitland area (Hunter Valley) and looking for local shows, can i enter where it says All Breeds and do i enter for CH?

I have a female puppy who is over 3 months and will look at showing in October i think as its taking me ages to understand what to do lol.

Should i ring Dogs NSW for advice?

Thanks 4 reading :o

Hi guys, I have recently joined Dogs NSW and have received two magazines now for July and August. Im confused about what shows i can enter.

Im in the Maitland area (Hunter Valley) and looking for local shows, can i enter where it says All Breeds and do i enter for CH?

I have a female puppy who is over 3 months and will look at showing in October i think as its taking me ages to understand what to do lol.

Thanks 4 reading :confused:

What breed of dog do you have? That will also make a difference as to what shows you can enter.

And of course, most importantly, is your puppy registered on Main Register? If not, then you cannot enter ANY shows.

After the age of 3 months and until 6 months, you can enter a Main Register puppy in shows in the Baby Puppy Bitch Class. You can enter any All Breeds Show, any show that caters for your group alone and any show which caters for your breed, or group of breeds alone. Open shows, Parades and Members Competitions are unusual in NSW so you would be mostly looking at shows which say All Breeds Championship Show in their heading, or which clearly offer classes for all breeds in all groups within the body of the schedule.

If there is a specific breed club for your breed, you can also ring them for advice, or alternatively look in the show section for a club that is in your local area, I'd imagine there would be a few. Give the secretary a call and I have no doubt you will get a lot of help from them.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks 4 reading :eek:

Hi Rain

I am from the Maitland area as well...what breed do you have or what breed group? I do not show alot but will be going to a few next month at Hillsborough with my bloodhound girl!! Some of those shows may be good ones to start at. You can do a puppy sweepstakes (3 - 6 mths) & then possibly a baby puppy class in your breed!!

Thank you both for your help :eek:

Hunterhound do you do showing training in the area? I have a Neapolitan Mastiff so Utility.

I think i will ring Dogs NSW for some advice on how to begin with entering etc

Hopefully i get to meet some show people and learn as much as i can, im excited :eek:

Thank you both for your help :laugh:

Hunterhound do you do showing training in the area? I have a Neapolitan Mastiff so Utility.

I think i will ring Dogs NSW for some advice on how to begin with entering etc

Hopefully i get to meet some show people and learn as much as i can, im excited :laugh:

Hi Rain

I am a relative newbie as well....have only started showing this year!! I know that there are show training evenings at Hillsborough but due to my work committments I find it hard to get there. I have never found something suitable in our area, so if you do find some around the Maitland area I would appreciate if you would PM me!! My girl is 10 months & it would still be beneficial for her as well.

There are a few nice ladies on another thread...I think it is called 'Showing for the first time' ?? and I recall a few of them go to Hillsborough...maybe you should post on there & see how you go?

it would be awesome to see a Neo puppy!! I was up at Taree last weekend & there were a few up there... You can PM me if you think I can be of any assistance. I show by myself mostly, as there aren't many Bloodhounds showing, so if you are entering anything in September at Hillsborough & need to share a gazebo just let me know. i usually only enter Sundays as I work Saturdays.

cheers

Hi Hunterhound

If i do find any show training i will definately let you know :D

How far away is Hillsborough? Newcastle area?

Im not sure if i will start in Sept but will try and get to some to watch if i dont.

I was at Morisett the other weekend and that was a good day watching :p

Do you go to obedience training with your girl? Im going to be looking for that soon also lol

Id like to share a Gazebo at some stage and meet your BloodHound.

Hi Hunterhound

If i do find any show training i will definately let you know :D

Im not sure if i will start in Sept but will try and get to some to watch if i dont.

I was at Morisett the other weekend and that was a good day watching :laugh:

Do you go to obedience training with your girl? Im going to be looking for that soon also lol

Hi Rain

Hillsborough is not far from Charlestown and also Warners bay...are you new to the area as well?? I will be going to 2 shows at Hillsborough and I think there is one at Morisset in September as well. No, i don't train obedience with my girl...Bloodhounds & obedience don't mix :p I compete in tracking trials with one of my other BH's..and will compete with the young girl next year, as the season is due to end next weekend. I LOVE tracking & so do the hounds...I like to show my young girl as she was imported from Sweden but my love is working them in harness.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
so challenge is best dog and best bitch? and so say they beat 6 dogs to get challenge then they get 5 + 6. then if they win best of breed how many more points? then group? etc, etc. its to a maximum of 25 pts??

Yes Challenge is best dog and best bitch. It's 5 points plus one point for every animal of the same sex over 6 months of age. So in the scenario given above, it would be 5 points plus 7 because your own dog is counted in addition to the dogs beaten. If they win best of breed they get 5 points plus one point for every dog AND bitch over 6 months beaten, in addition to the point for your own dog.

Group and Best In Show are a maximum of 25 points, again awarded on the basis of 5 points plus 1 point for every dog or bitch over the age of 6 months in the group or show.

It is possible to NOT get a 25 point group, they aren't automatic unless there are a minimum of 20 dogs of age in the group. This is particularly applicable at smaller shows.

Best In Show is usually automatically 25 points.

so challenge is best dog and best bitch? and so say they beat 6 dogs to get challenge then they get 5 + 6. then if they win best of breed how many more points? then group? etc, etc. its to a maximum of 25 pts??

Yes Challenge is best dog and best bitch. It's 5 points plus one point for every animal of the same sex over 6 months of age. So in the scenario given above, it would be 5 points plus 7 because your own dog is counted in addition to the dogs beaten. If they win best of breed they get 5 points plus one point for every dog AND bitch over 6 months beaten, in addition to the point for your own dog.

Group and Best In Show are a maximum of 25 points, again awarded on the basis of 5 points plus 1 point for every dog or bitch over the age of 6 months in the group or show.

It is possible to NOT get a 25 point group, they aren't automatic unless there are a minimum of 20 dogs of age in the group. This is particularly applicable at smaller shows.

Best In Show is usually automatically 25 points.

thanks. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am a newbie to the showing world, ( attending my first show this weekend, I am very excited and nervous!! ;) ) and I have just realised that 2 of the entries I sent earlier this week for different shows, I have missed putting on my puppies registered number.

Is it ok to ring the phone number on the show ad and ask them to add his registration number?

:rofl:

Hi I am a newbie to the showing world, ( attending my first show this weekend, I am very excited and nervous!! :laugh: ) and I have just realised that 2 of the entries I sent earlier this week for different shows, I have missed putting on my puppies registered number.

Is it ok to ring the phone number on the show ad and ask them to add his registration number?

:confused:

Yep, by all means do so please. Occasionally a show secretary may ring you and ask for the information, but if you multiply the number of times people have missing or incorrect information on entries by the number of calls the secretary has to make, it's courtesy to make the call yourself if you remember that you've left it off.

Hi I am a newbie to the showing world, ( attending my first show this weekend, I am very excited and nervous!! :laugh: ) and I have just realised that 2 of the entries I sent earlier this week for different shows, I have missed putting on my puppies registered number.

:hug:

Yep, by all means do so please. Occasionally a show secretary may ring you and ask for the information, but if you multiply the number of times people have missing or incorrect information on entries by the number of calls the secretary has to make, it's courtesy to make the call yourself if you remember that you've left it off.

Thank you

Hi Hunterhound

How did you go with the shows you entered? we managed to get to our first yesterday morning at Hillsborough, great fun! were you there?

Rain :mad

Hi Hunterhound

If i do find any show training i will definately let you know :mad

I was at Morisett the other weekend and that was a good day watching :laugh:

Hi Rain

Hillsborough is not far from Charlestown and also Warners bay...are you new to the area as well?? I will be going to 2 shows at Hillsborough and I think there is one at Morisset in September as well. No, i don't train obedience with my girl...Bloodhounds & obedience don't mix :mad I compete in tracking trials with one of my other BH's..and will compete with the young girl next year, as the season is due to end next weekend. I LOVE tracking & so do the hounds...I like to show my young girl as she was imported from Sweden but my love is working them in harness.

Cheers

• Troy unpinned this topic