Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

Another newbie question

Are there different ways certain breeds need to be stacked in the show ring and how do you know/find out what one is for the breed you have chosen?

--Lhok

Yup, although some of the differences can be subtle. For example with Afghans you usually hold the tail, whereas for Saluki you don't.

Best way to learn how to stack your particular breed is to either talk to your breeder and get them to show you, go to show classes, or go to shows and watch. :mad

Bear.

Is that to stop the Affies from jumping all over the judge and other exhibitors? :driving:

No that is to stop the Affies jumping all over their handlers! :provoke:

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey more noobie questions

(i read the whole thread and my questions hasn't come up yet)

What's the best way to get into showing.?

I mean wouldn't a breeder be hesitant to give a show quality dog to someone who hasn't proven themselves in the ring.?

I've also seen breeders rehoming/ selling their show dogs because they don't have time to show them all. Would that be a better route to go, since I don't have to go through all the initial puppy training etc?

What you suggest is my best approach?

Another dumb question. Say I enter the only Saluki in a show. Does that automatically mean I get BOB and get 5 points :o

Edited by Eskythehusky

Yes, it can be difficult to acquire your first "show dog". You'll be more likely to be able to get hold of a quality male in some breeds and you may find that some breeders will require a co-ownership until they are sure that you are going to stick around for a while. That's the worst thing about entrusting promising dogs to newbies....they start and often don't finish so a promising dog is lost to the show/breeding world.

My advice would be to select your breed and do your research about which breeder/s you'd like to get a dog from and if they are local to you, haunt them. Help them out at shows. Give them a hand and they will usually quite willingly show you the ropes and let you "do your apprenticeship". And if the dogs you like aren't local, then it still wouldn't hurt to contact the breeders and see if they can recommend anybody in your area who might let you help them out instead.

And the last question.....a basic CC/BOB is actually 6 points (5 points plus one point for every dog and/or bitch over the age of 6 months) and you'll only get it automatically if the judge feels your dog is of sufficient merit to be given the points.

Ahhhh yes I see. I'm going to use showmanager.com.au so I just need to wait for my membership number I suppose before I can do my forms through that, should have my membership number this afternoon according to Dogs QLD.

Ummmm... am I just really silly? What form do I use to enter a show out of these forms? http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/Shows-/-Trials-Forms.aspx

None of them. :thumbsup:

You need to use an entry form you can download a program from here-> http://www.lottobreakers.com.au/dogsoft/ It's a windows program so if you are on a Mac it ain't gonna work. :(

See what happens when work gets in the way of DOL.

Edited by Keshwar

Ahhhh yes I see. I'm going to use showmanager.com.au so I just need to wait for my membership number I suppose before I can do my forms through that, should have my membership number this afternoon according to Dogs QLD.

Have a look at http:www.showmanager.com.au. You can use the "trial" function for one dog and it is a very easy, user friendly and efficient website for show entries! :crossfingers:

Have a look at http:www.showmanager.com.au. You can use the "trial" function for one dog and it is a very easy, user friendly and efficient website for show entries! :rolleyes:

Hahahahah ellz, I said I was going to! Except I don't understand, I put in the show info then go to print it and it just brings up this (see attachment). Don't I have to nominate which dog I'm taking and stuff? Am I just not using the site correctly? Everything seems to be conspiring against me *huge dramatic sigh*

post-29400-1266528184_thumb.jpg

Have a look at http:www.showmanager.com.au. You can use the "trial" function for one dog and it is a very easy, user friendly and efficient website for show entries! :rolleyes:

Hahahahah ellz, I said I was going to! Except I don't understand, I put in the show info then go to print it and it just brings up this (see attachment). Don't I have to nominate which dog I'm taking and stuff? Am I just not using the site correctly? Everything seems to be conspiring against me *huge dramatic sigh*

You need to spend a bit of time playing there to fully understand the site.

From what I can remember off the top of my head, you have to first go to the section where you enter Luuka's information. From there you go to the community section and add the shows you want to enter to your personal listing.

Then you click on the show, add Luuka's information to it and save the updated show information. If you don't put in the entry fee amount, it won't save is something that I discovered.

Then when you go back to the front page, click on the print icon and your PDF should appear showing your completed entry form and the entry summary.

Going back to the best in breed points

So it is possible that as the only entrant of a particular breed not to get best in breed in a show?

Trying to get my head wrapped around all this is confusing :(

--Lhok

Going back to the best in breed points

So it is possible that as the only entrant of a particular breed not to get best in breed in a show?

Trying to get my head wrapped around all this is confusing :(

--Lhok

Yes it is possible that a single breed entry will NOT get Best of Breed. If a judge does not consider the exhibit worthy of the points, they are not required to award them.

Being there and being the only is no guarantee.....you don't get points just for turning up. :)

Wow.. that would suck.. :happydance2:

Also I have a question! Surprise surprise.....

I phoned the show organiser person this morning and she said that sending my application last Friday by express post was fine (I did already ask another person last week but they told me to ring this person on Monday because she's doing the catalogues) so that is awesome :(:) As long as it gets there! So the 'catalogue', is that the handbook thingy that has all the times and stuff in it? And does it also have what other dogs are in your breed and group?

Wow.. that would suck.. :hug:

I phoned the show organiser person this morning and she said that sending my application last Friday by express post was fine (I did already ask another person last week but they told me to ring this person on Monday because she's doing the catalogues) so that is awesome ;) :eek: As long as it gets there! So the 'catalogue', is that the handbook thingy that has all the times and stuff in it? And does it also have what other dogs are in your breed and group?

No and yes. :hug:

Catalogues rarely have times in them. Not sure what other stuff you mean.

Generally the catalogue is a listing of dogs entered divided by group, breed and class. Also includes dogs entered in the sweepstakes. EG.

Group 4 Hounds

Afghan Hounds.

Class 1 Baby Puppy Dog.

123 B Paintain Tianze Warlock 14/10/2009 81000234

Gr Ch Tianze Power of Magik x Ch Quidam Cirque of Jhanzi (Imp NZ)

Class 2 Minor Puppy Dog

124 j Bloggs bloggsaffies blogger 26/2/2009 12345678

sires name x dams name.

and so on for the rest of the breed and group.

A marked catalogue is also sent to the CC at the completion of the show by the show secretary. This is a catalogue that has been completely marked throughout with all class, breed, group and show placements and together with the judging slips forms a complete history of the show that is retained by the CC and used to record things such as CCs issued to various breeds, absentees etc. It will also be used if there is a dispute and to check that people are financial as at the date of the show, that dogs are exhibited in correct ownerships, leases current etc etc.

Wow.. that would suck.. :cry:

I phoned the show organiser person this morning and she said that sending my application last Friday by express post was fine (I did already ask another person last week but they told me to ring this person on Monday because she's doing the catalogues) so that is awesome :hug: :hug: As long as it gets there! So the 'catalogue', is that the handbook thingy that has all the times and stuff in it? And does it also have what other dogs are in your breed and group?

No and yes. :(

Catalogues rarely have times in them. Not sure what other stuff you mean.

Generally the catalogue is a listing of dogs entered divided by group, breed and class. Also includes dogs entered in the sweepstakes. EG.

Group 4 Hounds

Afghan Hounds.

Class 1 Baby Puppy Dog.

123 B Paintain Tianze Warlock 14/10/2009 81000234

Gr Ch Tianze Power of Magik x Ch Quidam Cirque of Jhanzi (Imp NZ)

Class 2 Minor Puppy Dog

124 j Bloggs bloggsaffies blogger 26/2/2009 12345678

sires name x dams name.

and so on for the rest of the breed and group.

(me neither ;) )

That's awesome thanks heaps!

A marked catalogue is also sent to the CC at the completion of the show by the show secretary. This is a catalogue that has been completely marked throughout with all class, breed, group and show placements and together with the judging slips forms a complete history of the show that is retained by the CC and used to record things such as CCs issued to various breeds, absentees etc. It will also be used if there is a dispute and to check that people are financial as at the date of the show, that dogs are exhibited in correct ownerships, leases current etc etc.

Ahh okay. That all makes sense. Wow. There's so much to learn! I have a feeling I'm going to annoy the living sh*t out of the people I'm hanging around on the 6th and 7th of March here in Rockhampton :eek: But I am excited anyway, and excited to meet some more Rocky DOLers (Pointers Rule for example) :(

Two questions, I am filling in the entry forms for a show for Willow, the other entries have all been done online. I am entering her in 3-6 month S/stakes, and baby puppy. So, I am filling in two entry forms, do I need to send 2 cheques, ie. one for each entry? or Can I just do the one cheque for both?

Also, On the papers it has

Name of Exhibit: Sinaway Top Glory (LH)

Breed: Weimaraner (Long Haired)

On the form, do I need the (LH) in Name of Exhibit? I have put it in but wasn't sure if it was needed or if I could of just put Sinaway Top Glory

I can answer the first bit because I asked that too! As long as both cheques are made out to the same person / club then it's fine (especially as they're for the same show). Sorry I can't help with the second bit but I am watching with interest.

• Troy unpinned this topic