Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

I'm going to join Hotdoggy in a thanks!

Also really excited, also have trouble picking the good from the 'bad' and have not a great idea of where Fletcher will fit in... All i know is that he's a really well behaved puppy and definitely the best i could have asked for to go through this learning stage with.

So particularly Ellz and Havahug and all other experienced posters that have added the this FAQ section for me to read through - thanks!

And Hotdoggy - Good luck and both you and Emily have fun! :cry:

Thanks Bindii!

And a big good luck to you and Fletcher too! I'm sure the hardest part will be the organisation and form filling (but don't get me started on having to hand strip a dog for the first time! My next breed will be one you just wipe down with an old rag)

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Hotdoggy,

Generally for Junior Handlers there is no "official" entry. They announce at the show when Junior handlers is going to be on (usually in the lunch break) and which rings for the different age groups.

Thought I would also let you know that there is show training at EPIC in Canberra on Wednesday nights - around 7.00 - 7.30pm. This is run by experienced handlers who can show what to do in the ring.

Bear.

Thanks Bear, I get all hyped up - I sent in two entries along with a note explaining that one was for the Junior Handler and I got a call back explaining what you have outlined - that you do not enter the dog in the Junior Handler show but if the dog is entered in another show that day, a Junior Handler can use it to enter the Junior Handler Class (without any forms needed to be filled in or lodged). Just so I don't spread my own confusion, Newbies should note that that is not the same if it is a Junior Handler Show - then you would need to enter.

I also noticed after lots of questions about filling in the form - once I had completed my form I turned it over and was ashamed to see the instructions on the back - oh yes, I have great observation skills.

I just have one more question (sure) - how do I get new entries from DogsNSW? I know there is the Ozentries for the main shows, but a lot of country shows don't use those, and I did get the link for the database that allows you to print your own show entries - this looks fantastic, but is it allowed for NSW? It's just that I saw somewhere on their site or maybe on my entry form that entries had to be originals and no photocopies accepted? Or is this old - as I could not find any link on DogsNSW for purchasing entry forms?

Thanks all - and first timers - I would love to hear how you go in your show

Thought I would also let you know that there is show training at EPIC in Canberra on Wednesday nights - around 7.00 - 7.30pm. This is run by experienced handlers who can show what to do in the ring.

Bear.

Meant to say thanks for that too Bear - I have been going to those training nights (except when rained out) a couple of times and we are learning a lot! I don't think I could do this at all if it wasn't for the volunteers who give up their time to help train newbies.

I just have one more question (sure) - how do I get new entries from DogsNSW? I know there is the Ozentries for the main shows, but a lot of country shows don't use those, and I did get the link for the database that allows you to print your own show entries - this looks fantastic, but is it allowed for NSW? It's just that I saw somewhere on their site or maybe on my entry form that entries had to be originals and no photocopies accepted? Or is this old - as I could not find any link on DogsNSW for purchasing entry forms?

Thanks all - and first timers - I would love to hear how you go in your show

I've been using the program to print my own entry forms for some years now and have never had an issue (I'm in NSW) however if you don't feel comfortable printing your own you can purchase blank booklets from Dogs NSW (the order form is located at the back of the gazette that you receive each month).

You don't photocopy the forms you print yourself anyway, you print out a form for each show and sign it - so it's 'orginal'...

Hope this helps...

I've been using the program to print my own entry forms for some years now and have never had an issue (I'm in NSW) however if you don't feel comfortable printing your own you can purchase blank booklets from Dogs NSW (the order form is located at the back of the gazette that you receive each month).

You don't photocopy the forms you print yourself anyway, you print out a form for each show and sign it - so it's 'orginal'...

Hope this helps...

I opened my Dogs New South Wales Gazette to the end, and what do you know - there it is! And yet I poured through them before to see if they could tell me where to get the order forms - I hope my dog will find his way around the ring, because he won't want to follow my lead! Thanks Aziah, I am going to try using the computer generated forms, because I think they're pretty cool and it keeps all the info you need in your database.

Thanks again xxx

Edited by hotdoggy

Is the royal melbourne show for anyone? i thought i read it was only for dogs that had won in certain catagories at earlier shows, but i'm looking at the application form and can't see anything? I'd love to have Fletcher in the show - i've gone every year to watch the dogs, it would be amazing!

Edited by Bindii

Is the royal melbourne show for anyone? i thought i read it was only for dogs that had won in certain catagories at earlier shows, but i'm looking at the application form and can't see anything? I'd love to have Fletcher in the show - i've gone every year to watch the dogs, it would be amazing!

You can enter if you have a main reg dog. But, be prepared to have to stay from 8am till 5pm and have your dog benched so he/she can be admired, patted and poked the general public all day, and you are there with him to talk to the public about your breed.

I'm in with another question -

All Breed Championship Shows

Are these only for dogs that are champions? how do they differ from normal breed shows?

Thanks guys xxx

These are normal breed shows. Any Main Register dog aged over 3 months may be entered.

Types of Shows:

All Breeds Championship shows - Any Breed may be entered in the correct group, class etc. Points are awarded for Dog and Bitch challenge, Best of Breed (BOB), Best in Group (BIG), Best in Show (BIS)

Group Shows Championship Show - Only breeds of the particular group ie Toys (Group 1), Terriers (Group 2), Gundogs (Group 3), Hounds (Group 4), Working dogs (Group 5), Utility (Group 6), or Non-sporting (Group 7). Points are awarded to Dog and Bitch Challenge, BOB and BIS

Breed Specialty Championship Show - Only the specified breed may enter ie Afghan Hounds, Border Collie, Pug etc. Points are awarded to Dog and Bitch Challenge and BIS.

Open shows - same as above but no points are awarded.

Hopefully this is clear. ;)

Just out of curiosity, why is there not many Open Shows as there used to be a couple years ago (My mum used to show a lot in Open Shows well over 10 years ago).

I also note in the very old 1982 Gazette that there was so many open shows available to enter, but this yeah there was barely anything to enter in?

Just wanna know why? Does anyone know?

I would imagine that in most states, the clubs aren't required to hold as many non-championship shows to qualify for affiliation.

Part of that was due to declining entry numbers.

And it costs almost as much to run an Open Show as it does to run a Championship Show.

And I guess with the way that Judges' Training is structured now, they aren't as necessary as they were previously.

Kissindra

With regard to area kennel clubs (for example in my area - Caboolture, Beudesert, Brisbane valley, Redcliffe/Peninsular) can I only join if I reside within the area the club covers?

You can join any one you like. I'd phone up the secretary to find out what the club does for the members, and whether that fits in with what you want to do. EG, some clubs hold training nights etc whih are great if you want to show.

Do kennel clubs hold shows that are purely for members as well as shows that are open to all?

Not as far as I am aware in Q. Maybe some do, and those shows are publicised only to members. They certainly aren't in the Qld Dog World (which lists all shows in Qld)

Do all area kennel clubs have facilities of thier own (either owned outright or used with council permission) where they hold shows?

Some do, some hold their shows at Durack. You could ask the club secretary if you phone them. Clubs are listed towards the end of the Qld Dog World

What are the general benefits to joining an area kennel club and do these differ from club to club?

The benefits vary from club to club. Again, phone up and ask.

What are the general benefits to joining more broad kennel clubs like Ladies Kennel Association of QLD, and kennel Association of QLD?

Someone will shoot me for this, but none that I can see, unless the club holds specific events which interest you - ie, fun nights, dinners, club events, training, and you can only find out by asking.

Would I be right in thinking you do not have to join a kennel club to show, you just need to be a member of the state controlling body? (in my case Canine Control Council QlD)

No, just a member of the CCCQ. It's good to join a kennel club to support them, but find out first (I keep saying this) what you will get for your membership.

Always a good idea to join your breed club. They hold shows, fun days etc. Cav Club in Qld is a good one, worth joining. Specialty shows, fun days etc. Good club :rolleyes: (Jed's not a financial member this year, LOL)

Just out of curiosity, why is there not many Open Shows as there used to be a couple years ago (My mum used to show a lot in Open Shows well over 10 years ago).

I also note in the very old 1982 Gazette that there was so many open shows available to enter, but this yeah there was barely anything to enter in?

Just wanna know why? Does anyone know?

The decline started when they changed "Open Parades" to "Open Shows". At Open Parades it was a fantastic opportunity to take your young dogs to show the trainee judges and have a great shot at getting a a group sash. Then they changed to "Open Show" where champions entered and competed in the regular classes. The people that entered their champions were usually just sash hunters. You rarely saw the top winning dogs there as it was a place to show case your young stock. It made no sense to pay the money to enter the younger dogs and compete against champions or even get a chance at points.

Edited by whippets

The word "substance"...

What does it actually mean when you're saying it about a show dog? "lots of substance" "he has good substance" - i get that it's good, but looking at a dog, how can i decide whether or not he/she has "substance"?

What are the general benefits to joining more broad kennel clubs like Ladies Kennel Association of QLD, and kennel Association of QLD?

If your entering alot of dogs you get a cheaper entry fee so its worthwhile being a member.You an also go on the committee & some clubs that do perpetual trophies etc etc you must be members to recieve.

Depending on when there financial years starts/ends it can be cheaper to pay non members rates te same if only one dog

The word "substance"...

What does it actually mean when you're saying it about a show dog? "lots of substance" "he has good substance" - i get that it's good, but looking at a dog, how can i decide whether or not he/she has "substance"?

Substance usually refers to boning and body type IMO. If a dog has "good (or lots) substance" then he is well made and well boned and not toyish or fine-boned.

This shouldn't however be confused with bodyweight. It's easy to get a dog fat, but that doesn't mean it is correct or has correct substance for the breed.

We used to always jokingly refer to fat American Cockers as having "Victorian body". In other words, incorrect ribspring and substance but lots of fat instead. It was for a while a common fault amongst certain lines originating in some Victorian kennels. Thankfully that was many years ago and the problem doesn't seem to be as widespread these days!

Etiquette question: is it acceptable to ring a show secretary in the days leading up to the show and ask how many dogs of your breed are entered? Or is that considered totally unacceptable and rude? It's something that I only just thought of today, and I have been wondering about it...

• Troy unpinned this topic