Obedience Training

Hey Guys :wave: I'm looking around to see if I can find somewhere that trains during the week to do some obedience training with my boy Bundy.

I live in Frankston but tend to work or flyball on most of my spare weekends. I run flyball with Croydon and Bundy will be running there once he is older too but to be able to train with tem he needs to have a min level 2 pass.

I can train him elsewhere and then get him assessed. I'm quite confident that I can train him to this level on my own (I did with my other dogs) However I would like him to get out and about as he can focus on other dogs quite alot and that will be a problem with flyball. Any ideas?

I think southern had a restricted breed ban in place when i last checked their website? Will they let Bundy man train with them? I'm on call wed nights but can probably work around it.

Kcc park is right in between work and home so that might be an idea. What time do both places train? Where do you guys train? I know I could probably be not lazy and google all this but I like to get peoples personal recomendations.

Oops i forgot about rotty club :p

They would be good for Bundy

Southern wont have a problem with him, they have more pitty looking dogs there with no probs, they just arent allowed to accept APBT if thats what you put down on the reg

We used to train at rotty club, it was great to get Ed used to the bigger dogs and the people are very aware of keeping space. Am also a member at southern but havent trained at a club in months

If Bundy was to go I might have to rethink that :)

Edited by shoemonster

Croydon has a restricted breeds ban too as they are a VCA affiliated club.

Bundy isn't a pit bull terrier. However he is a big red dog with a red nose and yellow eyes. There is just as much chance that he could be crossed with a dogue or a viz as pitbull especially as he was originally adopted from an animal shelter. Just alot of unknowing people think he is a pitty. Mind you he is also around 3 times the size of a pitbull. I have seen other pitty crosses at Croydon and Bundy comes to pretty much every flyball comp with me so he is well known to all the flyballers.

I read on their site a while ago that they didn't train restricted or crosses. I wasn't sure if that was still the case. It's like a boarding kennel down the road from me refuses to take any bull breed in any form and i was worried that southern may have the same sort of theory.

ETA:This is cut from the website for southern-"Obedience classes at Southern Obedience Dog Club are open to all breeds of dogs (except for Pit Bulls & Pit bull Crosses as per rulings) regardless of size and age, with handlers coming from all walks of life. All of our classes are open to all members and their dogs allowing all dogs"

Edited by menacebear

Ok so you are worried because people might think he is a pit? But you don't know what he is.

Croydon has the same policy as Southern so I am just letting you know that. Not making a judgment. You might be better to put him in the Croydon training process, even if you can't get to many classes, as that way people will get to know him. Rather than just going to be tested.

The only thing is I can probably only get to one sunday training class per month and thats only if we aren't competing in flyball on the day. If people know there dog breeds he doesn't look like a pit it's only his eyes and nose colour that make the general public think he is a pit. I will be joinging him to Croydon anyway as I need to for flyball. All the croydon rockets already know him so just a case of letting other people get to know him I guess. I'll still be looking to do obedience elsewhere as well for his benefit, probably the rotty club.

AWWWWW you guys are so sweet, no wonder Bundy is getting a big head! :party::laugh:

Yep his drop is rather enthusiastic. LOL wouldn't like to be under him when he hits the ground.

So now it's a toss up between southern and rotty club. It's a shame that they both train on a wed night when I'm stuck on call. Still hopefully I can put off any strays for long enough to be able to train him.

I know Frankston Dog Club and Hastings Dog Club only train during the week during day light savings. Otherwise they're training is:

Frankston - 1:30pm Saturday's

Hasting - 11am Sundays

You could also go to Lee Cougley on Thursday nights at 7pm? She's at KCC Park. I think its about $11 for an hour. Its a class, not one on one.

What flyball team are you a part of? I live in Frankston aswell! I'm part of both the Frankston and Hastings Dogs Clubs. I'm on the committee at Frankston Dog Club

I know Frankston Dog Club and Hastings Dog Club only train during the week during day light savings. Otherwise they're training is:

Frankston - 1:30pm Saturday's

Hasting - 11am Sundays

You could also go to Lee Cougley on Thursday nights at 7pm? She's at KCC Park. I think its about $11 for an hour. Its a class, not one on one.

What flyball team are you a part of? I live in Frankston aswell! I'm part of both the Frankston and Hastings Dogs Clubs. I'm on the committee at Frankston Dog Club

Hmmmm Frankston is a thought. I originally trained Bear with Frankston and competed in flyball with frankston when I started out but I have since changed to running him with the Croydon Rockets. I still live in frankston though. I normally have to work a fair few saturdays but I just got my roster for next month and I have some saturdays free so i might look at joining him up there. OH wants to some agility with Flite in the off season for flyball. Frankston still do agility don't they??