Licking Her Ummm Private Parts

I have a little girl that seems to spend some time licking her umm private parts (you know where the wee comes out) so much so that it looks a little irritated. She has been to the vets and they didn't think it was anything to worry about. No sign of infection, nothing bad, just a habit thing. Peeing habits are normal. It's actually getting better.

But I was thinking would there be any harm is using "Wound-Gard" by Vibrac on it? Its an antiseptic, bitterant spray & I thought the yucky taste might put her off a bit.

I have a little girl that seems to spend some time licking her umm private parts (you know where the wee comes out) so much so that it looks a little irritated. She has been to the vets and they didn't think it was anything to worry about. No sign of infection, nothing bad, just a habit thing. Peeing habits are normal. It's actually getting better.

But I was thinking would there be any harm is using "Wound-Gard" by Vibrac on it? Its an antiseptic, bitterant spray & I thought the yucky taste might put her off a bit.

you dont want to put her off her hygiene.

is she desexed? she could be coming into season if she's entire.

I wouldn't really worry about it. - she needs to keep down there clean.

I wonder if it's not her that's irritating it, maybe it's because it's irritated that she is licking it. I wonder if her wee is acidic, maybe she's got nappy rash. I wouldn't be putting wound guard on it, that's not what it's for.

What things does she have to occupy her?

Games? Chew/puzzle toys? LOTS of walking on leash to tire her out?

Licking can become obsessive.. and it's easier to stop it now!!

telling her to stop is drawing attention..... a reward of sorts :)

Make sure she always has different things to do... and make sure she walks/plays enough that she drops down tired!

edited to add... licking can also be done to try & relieve pain.... any chance of her having hip/pelvic pain?

Edited by persephone

well she did go to the vets about it a couple of months ago and they couldn't find anything wrong. I thought of hip pain too, as she is 7 (small breed) and seems to have been a little stiffer in her walking on her back legs at times. Other times she is fine and runs esp to chase a cat. I had her anal glands also squeezed a few months ago too. she has always been the lazy one of my two dogs. she has never done that skipping thing. when i went to the vet about her licking a couple of months ago, he did check her joints.

My gut now makes me think it is just a habit. (As i went to the vet twice about it already).

She sleeps on my bed of course. On sign of any leakage during the night coz i guess it start to smell if she was leaking a bit. Definitely less licking of her inside of legs since its been cooler. Maybe an allergy thing???

She is getting better, only the occasional lick (but i guess that is sort of normal isn't it). So whatever is bothering her, is clearing up. She is a lick obsessive dog anyways. If you face could be in range more often, she would lick that too.