Indestructible Chew Toys

toby'smum

Hi,

Toby - my adorable black labrador- is now 6 months old and full of the joys of life. Whilst he thankfully doesn't eat the furniture, he is eating through the bank balance as I'm steadily working through the entire range of chew toys available in Sydney. Everything with a rope attached (and some are thick strong ropes) is reduced to individual strands within 5 minutes. All plastic toys show signs of being devoured with the same space of time. Soft toys are too dangerous as he swallows the stuffing! A couple of 'adult strength' nylabones have withstood the test, but I'm not sure if he will damage his teeth at a young age.

We have a back garden littered with trees and he spends much of his 'leisure' time eating sticks and twigs!

Evenings are the problem as he is happy to stay on his mat but wants something to chew. I'm not keen on the rwahide products (and pigs ears etc) as he ingests large lumps and I'm concerned they may swell inside him.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

i can most definately recommend Tuffie Toys..... i dont actually have our puppy yet (3 sleeps!) but i got one of these yesterday, and felt sorry for our other dog (who is a Rottweiler) and gave it to her. You know straight away that it's a very very sturdy toy, and would take quite a bit to actually destroy!

Wagsalot

the website is owned by a DOL member, and she is lovely, prices are extremely reasonable, and postage was super super fast. Could not recommend this toy, or this store highly enough!

Yeah I was going to say I have a Tuffie toy and interesting that my non-toy destructive dog has decided to chew it so its a supervised only toy (despite the fact I leave every other toy out and about with no damage done).

I'm afraid our Tuffie Toy went well until a week ago, and then an evening of dedicated chewing caused it's destruction! It's weird because he had a couple of toys that had lasted since the day we brought him home, the suddenly we have a frenzy of chewing and now - nothing left. Even his absolute favourite - a floppy smelly dog has had an ear eaten! I guess he's teething in a big way. I'm worried that any fibre/rope strands that he eats will create a blockage at some stage.

that's really strange, the Rotti was chewing pretty hard on the Tuffie for a good 2-3 hours last night (she was trying to figure out where the squeakers were!) and her big Rotti destructo teeth didn't damage it at all, but she has managed to destroy a Kong or two in her time......

My dog is not interested in the tuffies at all. If he can't kill it, it's not fun :cry:

The kongs are good. But I think they should be made to glow in the dark - we've lost our black one somewhere in the yard. Hopefully I'll find it on the weekend when I actually get to see the dogs (and the yard) in full daylight.

Hello there,

I have a lab shes about 19months old now and the only toy she didn't destroy was a Kong Ball theyre really great for keeping her entertained and the bonus of a treat inside it will keep them entertained for ages.

My tuffie lasted 1 hr :p

I went to make lunch and then came outside to find fluff and felt all over the yard :rofl:

It was the toughest rating too.

The $5 toy I got from the reject shop is still alive though after 2 weeks :rofl: .

maybe just not do toys and get bones and cheap meat and freeze it???

Tasty and ok to destroy!!

otherwise the reject shop is great for $2 toys that dont matter if they get killed lol

I had a dog that would destroy toys and he LOVED his rubber chicken and the black tyre that they have there...

Oh and big blocks of ice with a little wet food in it was also fun for him

Good luck!

Tilly likes to destroy toys too, so I have to be more selective with what I buy now.

I bought the toy pictured below from Kmart for about $10 and she loves it and hasn't been able to eat her way through it. I've also seen them at Woolworths.

Would your lab be able to destroy a toy like that?

post-6954-1241000713_thumb.jpg

Edited by fainty_girl

Tilly likes to destroy toys too, so I have to be more selective with what I buy now.

I bought the toy pictured below from Kmart for about $10 and she loves it and hasn't been able to eat her way through it. I've also seen them at Woolworths.

Would your lab be able to destroy a toy like that?

post-6954-1241000713_thumb.jpg

Hard to know if it would last - I've been amazed at the rate at which he tears strips and lumps off seemingly indestructible items! So far his digestive system is coping with the bits of rubber, plastic, cloth, rope and fibres that he's swallowing but I'm worried we may have a blockage soon!

What about the Black Kongs? They are pretty tough, especially if you get the King size. The Aussie Dog stuff is supposed to be indestructable and tested on lions at the zoo.

Try these links:

http://aussiedog.com.au/index.php?main_pag...ra27j29acouriu7

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

I think it may just be me - but I just don't 'get' kongs as play toys. I use a medium sized one for his breakfast, which I fill with kibble and then plug the end up with cream cheese (Toby has sophisticated tastes!!) and that last for 3-4 minutes at best. I've tried freezing the food plug (peanut butter/cream cheese) and that just prolongs things for another 2-3 minutes. Once the food is out he's no longer interested in the kong.

I gave him the stick shaped kong (with grooves along the side) and filled it with the paste/cream cheese etc and he spent a while licking it then left it alone and the ants had a field day!

If I smear peanut butter etc on the inside of the traditional kong won't that just frustrate him as he won't actually get anything out?

aussie dog toys

triple crown treat balls in the largest size - make him work for his food

Prestige Pet make tough talking balls - they have recorded noises inside to stimulate the dog to play not just to destroy. I think they also make a recordable one so you can record your own voice as well :)

Your lab needs a job to do so more interactive toys will keep him stimulated.

won't that just frustrate him as he won't actually get anything out?

yep :)

and that is what keeps them interested!! They get a tiny taste-- so keep working.

When I fill kongs it takes the dogs AGES to get stuff out.

Whole chicken wings forced in the hole are terrific... they just WON"T come out easy :rofl:

Hamlet will play with his near empty kong... drops it on the cement verandah.. the uncertain bounce direction keeps em on their toes :rofl:

Edited by persephone

aussie dog toys

triple crown treat balls in the largest size - make him work for his food

Prestige Pet make tough talking balls - they have recorded noises inside to stimulate the dog to play not just to destroy. I think they also make a recordable one so you can record your own voice as well :)

Your lab needs a job to do so more interactive toys will keep him stimulated.

I've got a couple of similar treat balls and they work well, and I agree that he needs to be stimulated during the day, but my problem is at night/evening. Sorry to sound so negative, as all the suggestions are great. I can keep him occupied during daylight hours, but in the evening when we're sitting to watch TV or read, and he's on his bed, he doesn't always want to sleep, but seems to have this urgent need to chew! A treat filled toy wouldn't quite work on the carpet! He loves softer textured things to gnaw on, but they only seem to last a few minutes. Even the heavy duty ropes can be unravelled in no time flat! I'm not keen on too many rawhide chews as I'm concerned they will swell up too much in his stomach (or am I being over-protective and paranoid!!?)