Clippers And Blades For Cocker?

Luke W

I've been using a Wahl 'people' clipper to keep Barkly (an English Cocker) a little bit neat between visits to the groomer but they struggle to get through the longer fur on his ears and the fronts of his font legs.

I'm not sure if they just aren't up to the task or if the blade is blunt.

Any recommendations for clippers and blade(s) for Barkly?

I will use it mainly to keep his head smooth (skull, ears, cheeks, etc), the fronts of his front legs, his chin and neck.

I keep the rest of him neat with scissors and a coat king.

I use an Oster (1 speed ) and it gets thru Maggies coat . I have also used a wahl ( animal clipper ) that a friend has it also worked well .

My oster is over 15 years old and still going strong but after using my friends wahl I would definitely think of getting one of these. It is so much quieter and lighter. Doesn't get as hot. But I probably shouldn't judge as my oster is an old model :)

Blades #10 for ears and throat and a #7 for her body , front of legs etc .

I've been using a Wahl 'people' clipper to keep Barkly (an English Cocker) a little bit neat between visits to the groomer but they struggle to get through the longer fur on his ears and the fronts of his font legs.

I will use it mainly to keep his head smooth (skull, ears, cheeks, etc), the fronts of his front legs, his chin and neck.

We use Oyster 10 blade. It's used on his chin, neck and tops of ears only. We use thinning scissors under his ears, around his feet (remove the hair underneath and between the toes).

For his hairy front legs, we don't shave them as that will wreck the coat. We use a mars comb to remove the dead hair and a stripping blade.

Obviously, the grooming of our dog is different to what you would do as Henschke is a show dog. I'm sure others with pets will be able to also advise.

We use Oyster 10 blade. It's used on his chin, neck and tops of ears only. We use thinning scissors under his ears, around his feet (remove the hair underneath and between the toes).

For his hairy front legs, we don't shave them as that will wreck the coat. We use a mars comb to remove the dead hair and a stripping blade.

Obviously, the grooming of our dog is different to what you would do as Henschke is a show dog. I'm sure others with pets will be able to also advise.

We groom the pets the same way.

Hand stripping all the way.The top of the head we also hand strip.

Front legs we strip using the slick n easy stone

Thanks everyone - I'm going to grab a Wahl from clipperworld.

Why not try Andis Clipper? Its better than wahl.

Too late...

I got the KM-2 Kit for the price of a KM-SS kit :hug:

Next time :)

Hi Luke, I have the whal ss with the 10 blade and the stainless steel guide combs, they are fantastic clippers and with having 4 they have to be up tot he challenge and they are!!

A bit OT but can anyone tel me how many clips should I do before I should get the blade sharpened??

Hi Luke, I have the whal ss with the 10 blade and the stainless steel guide combs, they are fantastic clippers and with having 4 they have to be up tot he challenge and they are!!

A bit OT but can anyone tel me how many clips should I do before I should get the blade sharpened??

The number of clips you will get from a blade will depend on the condition of the coat, the maintenance of the blades (oiling) and the initial grind, which may not be as sharp as it could be. Unfortunately you do not get a lot of warning as to when a blade will go blunt and it is advisable to have a spare.

A single grain of sand can blunten a blade.

Thanks TLC - I got some plastic combs with mine - but I mainly need the 10 blade which came with the clippers.

I couldn't help myself and trimmed his ears a bit just to test the clippers. WOW!!! They cut through the hair like butter. So much better than my Wahl people clippers. WooHoo!

Thats great, How does Barkly like the clippers, My lot are all great, my pup actually lays down and goes to sleep when I clip him its hilarious, but can be a pain when I want him to stand up, he is so chilled out!!

Poodle 3081-Thanks re: the sharpening, I will definalty look into getting a second blade, good idea if the clippers get blunt during a clipping, as I usually do my lot over two days two each day.