Heart Worming

Hi all, I have going to the vet for my girl's annual heartworming vaccination and saw that there are numerous types of heart worming tablets in the market which I am thinking of giving a try. Could someone give me a recommendation as to which are the better ones? I also saw that there are some heartworm tablets which also are the allrounder wormer. Are they any good as compared to buying a separate heart wormer and an allrounder wormer tablet?

The injection you are giving annually for exorbitant costs, is the same injection that was withdrawn from the american/euro market for years, due to excessive adverse reactions (mainly DEATH)............it has been reintroduced in those countries with ZERO modifications only that every client MUST sign a waver for a court of law that if their dog has side effects "tuff tittiES".......

But Australia happily goes along in lala land ignoring the connection of seizures & deaths within 3 months of the injection, and declare it totally safe , and how they never see any adverse reactions.:thumbsup:))))))))))))))))

You are by far better $$$$ & dog health wise administering a monthly chemical thru mosie season.............thats all I do , and if it goes to 6 weeks then who cares.....mthly tabs work 6 wkly, they are only called monthlys as they presume all pet owners are too dumb to mark a calender for every 6 weeks!!!!!!!!!

The injection you are giving annually for exorbitant costs, is the same injection that was withdrawn from the american/euro market for years, due to excessive adverse reactions (mainly DEATH)............it has been reintroduced in those countries with ZERO modifications only that every client MUST sign a waver for a court of law that if their dog has side effects "tuff tittiES".......

But Australia happily goes along in lala land ignoring the connection of seizures & deaths within 3 months of the injection, and declare it totally safe , and how they never see any adverse reactions.:thumbsup:))))))))))))))))

You are by far better $$$$ & dog health wise administering a monthly chemical thru mosie season.............thats all I do , and if it goes to 6 weeks then who cares.....mthly tabs work 6 wkly, they are only called monthlys as they presume all pet owners are too dumb to mark a calender for every 6 weeks!!!!!!!!!

Ditto to what you have said, mate! I was paying more than $120 for the heartworm vaccination and found that this is extremely expensive as compared to buying the heartworm tablets. However I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone by thinking of getting a tablet that does both heartworm and the other worms, but I just had a look at some of the heartwormers online, it seems that they don't have a heartwormer plus allwormer. I still have to get one that does tapeworm as well :rofl: Which are the better heartwormer? I notice the price range is pretty wide and I don't want to get one because it's in the lower price range but it's not good.

Sentinel Spectrum -Chewable, covers heartworm and control hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, and tapeworm - and fleas

INTERCEPTOR Spectrum -Chewable, covers heartworm and control hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, and tapeworm

Advocate -spot on treatment, Flea Control and Prevention - Heartworm Prevention - Treatment and control of Gastrointestinal Worms - controls roundworm, hookworm and whipworm.Controls Ear Mites Treatment and Control of mange and lice. Does not cover tapeworm.

All monthly treatments. Interceptor is probably the best value for money if you dont have a flea problem. I personally wouldn't be giving the Proheart injection after what has happened overseas.... and here in Australia.

Sentinel Spectrum -Chewable, covers heartworm and control hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, and tapeworm - and fleas

INTERCEPTOR Spectrum -Chewable, covers heartworm and control hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, and tapeworm

Advocate -spot on treatment, Flea Control and Prevention - Heartworm Prevention - Treatment and control of Gastrointestinal Worms - controls roundworm, hookworm and whipworm.Controls Ear Mites Treatment and Control of mange and lice. Does not cover tapeworm.

All monthly treatments. Interceptor is probably the best value for money if you dont have a flea problem. I personally wouldn't be giving the Proheart injection after what has happened overseas.... and here in Australia.

Thanks, I will start her on the interceptor as she has no fleas :provoke:

Grrrrrrrr, My Dogs got this last year and I remember not liking the Vet at the time, now I know why!!

Thank fully they are still here today.

Now I know that this is not good for dogs and I will not take Tash to the vet for her heartworm control anymore. Sorry this is a bit off topic. I have a few mates of mine telling me that annual vaccinations is not a must for dogs. They said that it doesn't really do much but just fatten the wallet of the vets. How true is this? I have always thought that all these jabs will help to prevent any of the illnesses that may hit the dog

I think you'll find that the Heart Worm injection is a different one we have here than what had issues in the states some 2-3 years ago.

I know plenty of people who have given it to their dog without any issues.

But Australia happily goes along in lala land ignoring the connection of seizures & deaths within 3 months of the injection, and declare it totally safe , and how they never see any adverse reactions.:provoke:))))))))))))))))

Ditto to what you have said, mate! I was paying more than $120 for the heartworm vaccination and found that this is extremely expensive as compared to buying the heartworm tablets. However I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone by thinking of getting a tablet that does both heartworm and the other worms, but I just had a look at some of the heartwormers online, it seems that they don't have a heartwormer plus allwormer. I still have to get one that does tapeworm as well :cool: Which are the better heartwormer? I notice the price range is pretty wide and I don't want to get one because it's in the lower price range but it's not good.

A$120 one off is the same as $10 per month a decent heart wormer costs you about $15 so the injection is cheaper.Then you only have to buy a Drntal Allwormer every 3 months.So i find the injection better.

A$120 one off is the same as $10 per month a decent heart wormer costs you about $15 so the injection is cheaper.Then you only have to buy a Drntal Allwormer every 3 months.So i find the injection better.

2 x packs of Interceptor Spectrum (largest size) = approx $100 per year, which also covers intestinal worms so no all wormer needed.

Heartworm injection = $120 per year plus additional cost of all wormer.

The injection is clearly not the cheaper option :provoke:

I just realize that I have 7 more of the drontal allwormer tablets at home! Looks like I won't be able to get interceptor spectrums which means I will have to get just the purely heartwormers. I have a look at the different brands of heartwormers in the market and I am not sure which ones to get. There are Nuheart, Dimmitrol and Milbermax. Which are the better ones? I am so confused now, I don't want to get one which does not work well :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
I think you'll find that the Heart Worm injection is a different one we have here than what had issues in the states some 2-3 years ago.

I know plenty of people who have given it to their dog without any issues.

Acording to Fort Dodge, it is the same only triple strength down there. It was pulled from the market here on Sept. 3, 2004, which was 10 months after it killed my 4 year old Golden Retriever, Hunter. On Jan. 31, 2005, Fort Dodge had a large heraing, or whatever you want to call it with ouranimal division of the FDA to try to get it back. Public was invited. Some who had lost a adog/dogs or almost lost a dog/dogs attended and testified. Hundreds of us sent in our stores aead of time and each of the 15 panel members got copies of all the stories and read them before hand.

During the hearig, Fort Dodge was there in force with their vets, lawyers, whatever. According to those that atened, FD came armed with charts, grpahs, you name it. They told how safe the product was, etc and they were questioned by the panel members. Fort Dodge vet, Dr. Rami Cobb talked about ho in Australia the product was 3 times the strenght of the product used here as it was one year, and they didn' have the deaths, reacgtions, reported down there that are reported here. They wre tryn to say that most of the reported cases here not actuallydue to ProHeart6.

Cases here are reported to the govenemtn Food and Drug Admiinstration animal division, all reports are gone over and when a patern s seen, well. the FDA does something. They had Fort Dodge change the warning label wice and the day my Hunter got hsi fatal injection death was added as a reaction. For the record, Hunter's complete history was sent to the FDA sothey could evaluate the case, and most of who I talked to had also sent complete history or their dog/dogs. It was these reports that caused the FDA to tell Fort Dodge to withdraw it from the market.

When the panel askDr. Cobb if cases were investigated the same way down there she said yes, pretty much so. BUT according to many from down there that came to American forumslooking for answers as to why their dog died or was on meds the rest of it's life, that is not the case. They said down there the reaction or death is reported to the government and then the governemnt turns it over to Fort Dodge to investigate. I say that is like ltting the fox investigate the henhouse raid. Heck, even here a vet telling them the AIHA or liver damage or gastric problem, seizures, deaths was caused by their product, they denied it. We that lost/almost lost dogs joke that even if the dog died with the needle still in it's skin with the vet injectting ProHeart6,they would claim it did of fright of the vet!

Well, they did not convince the panel it was safe. On thing I think that hurt them was they had always clained only 3 of te 281 field tested dogs had reactions and they were all sick or underweight. Yet records showed that 9 more (I think it was 9) din't finish the test. They were asked why those other dogs didn't finish, what happened to them to prevent them from fihishing ( there wa no record of why they didn't finish) and the guy said some had been killed in huning accidents, some hit by cars, some "ate" antifreeze." So it appears outof 281 dogs, 12 didin't finish, either to reaction of untimely death. I think the panel saw it the same way the ones who went to tell their dog's story saw it. That is waY to many test to have met untimely deaths.

So the FDA did not allow it back on the marekt, told them more research had to be done. One whoattendec (she almost lost her show Italian Greyhound) called me from Washington as soon as the "verdict was in. That night our computers were almot burned up spreadng the word to others who coud not attend. Even today,ll these yeafrs laer, many of us are stll inclose contact via e-mails and occasional phone calls.

Now, all that I have written can be fond at http://www.dogsadversereactions.com. Even the 300 page transwqcript from the meeting can be found there. The lady that has this sight almost lost her ug, Velvet to PH6 and she was at the meeting. As was Jean from Colorado who lost 2 of her 3 dogs and the other, 6 years later is still on meds, three from Texas including a vet, etc. I know many, many dogs got it with no problme. But when it kills more dogs in 3 years than all of the forms of heartworm pills combined , some having been out for as long as 25 years, that should give one 2ed thoughts I personally know of 4 other dogs in my little town that had reactions, one, an Aussie shepherd, almost died, a standard poodle was on meds the rest of her life for gastric problems fafter her PH6 injection, the other were not so serious. One other thing.....when a dog goes into seizures or gets sick within hours of a PH6 injection, most suspect it was the PH6. But with cases of the liver damage or AIHA it took a couple ofweeks to a couple of months. And most didn't suspect. I would have neverthought it was the PH^ that brought on Hunter's AIHA and liver damage had my vet not said so, and then all research found so many others and it turns out thos wer the 2 top reactions that killed.

Intrceptor is what I used before Hunter's death and all I have used since. No injectable that stays in their system for months and certainly not a year. The pills are gone in about 36 hours. They actually are a dewormer to kill the teeny baby heartworms the dog may have developed since the pill the month before. They stand a much better chance of survival if there is a reaction than with one that stays in their system every day for 6 months or a year and can not be removed.

I use the Dimmitrol Daily for Heartworm Preventative( about $38 for 1000 tablets and as I have 2 dogs that is 500 days worth), Popantel as Allwormer and Frontline Plus for flea prevention. I buy online at either The Vet Shed or priceless pets.

The daily Dimmitrol are so easy, I just place the container next to the dogs meal dishes and that way I dont forget them.

I have a breed that has Ivermectin Sensitivity and both have been DNA tested as Affected for this so would not use any other heartworm preventative other than the dimmitrol

• 3 months later...
Guest belgian.blue

Can you buy this anywhere in Perth? Or only online?

I won't ever do the heartworm injection personally. I use "Advocate" - once a month on the neck spot on. I buy it in a pack of six (by weight of the dog). It covers fleas, heartworm, intestinal worms, lice and mites.

I use it on the 1st of every month. I've also used Interceptor before as well, combined with Advantage.

You can buy it all, much more cheaply than a pet supply store or vet, from www.pricelesspets.com.au.

I'm in NSW and it takes just 2 days to get to me from Qld. Saves heaps of money as I have my own plus foster dogs.