My Boy Has Hurt His Leg

I'm shocked at your chiropractor - sounds like they were talking about something they knew NOTHING about. How completely irresponsible and thoughtless of them.

So glad that your vet has given you more positive news!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look at his face, he looks so sad poor boy.

Yeah - but it didn't stay on. And he really did 'crack it' with me afterwards. I found that having it on drew more attention to his ears by him than having it off and I became concerned that if I left it on him he'd damage his ear/s even more by trying to scratch it off. Not to mention that I also worried about the bandage slipping back around his neck and him somehow choking as a result. Not sure what to do about his ear. If it doesn't heal and gets far worse the extreme is to remove the tip of his ear. Although I can't see how that will work (apart from the fact I don't want it to become necessary) because then I just have the surgery site to worry about and that would be the same problem :confused:. I have to get the wound to dry out. There is a bit of inflamation there and it weighs heavier as a result, which in turn makes him keep shaking his head.

The Vet suggested I use a stocking. I tried this but couldn't get the stocking over his head. I must admit to some uncontrollable laughter from me in the struggle - regardless of the fact that I ruined a completely good pair of stockings for the exercise. <sigh> .... fortunately, being a dog trainer, I don't have that much use for stockings these days :laugh:.

Glad to hear that the vet is so positive Erny.

Thanks Staffyluv. We're not out of the woods yet and I think success depends on the results of this last faecal test. There's another blood test that can be done (if the faecal test doesn't tell us what we're looking for) but I can't remember what it is about. Bruce said I could have this blood test done locally if we needed it. One step at a time though so I didn't worry about remembering it for now.

Good to be getting some positive news, and hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel now to get him back to full health. THere's nothing more exciting than finding the root cause and seeing them thrive once treated.

Even I had a chuckle at the thought of trying to get a stocking on the poor buggers head - he does look terribly hard done by :confused: and thoroughly unimpressed. It reminds me of the time that I make the shonkiest elizabethan collar for Sasha out of cardboard (and I could only find slightly damp cardboard after totally trashing a good bucket which just wasnt working) on her first or second night with us. It was totally laughable, totally useless looking - and yet she kept it on like a good girl (even though one tug and it would have easily come off), slept with it on and it was perfectly intact the next morning and following day. God love her. Made me love her even more that she made my fruitless attempt useful - attached a pic so Mandela knows he's not the only hard done by dog...

It is a curly one as to how you will get the ear to heal. You will need to find something snug (but not tight) fitting but also something that won't bother him too much.... do you by chance have anything lycra-ish you could cut up (there goes the wardrobe)...

Hoping for some good results for your very handsome boy!!

post-8152-1242090865_thumb.jpg

Try a snood. People with long haired dogs use the all the time

:love: ..... Good idea Cowanbree! Thanks. Will see if I can get one today :). And somehow train him to leave it on, even if he isn't eating :). But worth a go :laugh:.

KL ..... love your home-made cardboard Elizabethan collar! Very ingenious and fantastic that he kept it on. Maybe because it was light weight it made it that bit more comfortable to be able to at least bear with it.

I thought of the Elizabethan for my boy, except that he'll still flap his head and what's worse, his ears would constantly flap against the collar. But maybe a combination of snood and elizabethan collar would be the way to go.

This might be a bit premature to speak of (and I hope I don't jinx matters) but I recently purchased some Equaderm Cream through "Groomers". I only put a bit on the ear wound last night and I admit to it appearing somewhat better today. If it's not my imagination, the small amount of inflamation/swelling seems to have reduced too. Fingers crossed that this might be all I have to do to get things right with his ear. Can I dare to hope that it will be that easy?

I noticed in the last week that Mandela had a bald patch appearing at the tip of his tail. I thought it might have been from him whacking it on the wall when he wags. May it was. But I noticed he was licking at it also, today. So I've used the cream on that too and will see if it helps.

KL ..... love your home-made cardboard Elizabethan collar! Very ingenious and fantastic that he kept it on. Maybe because it was light weight it made it that bit more comfortable to be able to at least bear with it.

I thought of the Elizabethan for my boy, except that he'll still flap his head and what's worse, his ears would constantly flap against the collar. But maybe a combination of snood and elizabethan collar would be the way to go.

This might be a bit premature to speak of (and I hope I don't jinx matters) but I recently purchased some Equaderm Cream through "Groomers". I only put a bit on the ear wound last night and I admit to it appearing somewhat better today. If it's not my imagination, the small amount of inflamation/swelling seems to have reduced too. Fingers crossed that this might be all I have to do to get things right with his ear. Can I dare to hope that it will be that easy?

I noticed in the last week that Mandela had a bald patch appearing at the tip of his tail. I thought it might have been from him whacking it on the wall when he wags. May it was. But I noticed he was licking at it also, today. So I've used the cream on that too and will see if it helps.

Sounds like he needs to be wrapped up in cotton wool from tip to toe - poor mite.

Mum says our dogs are so complicated because we watch them too closely and pay too much attention - I'm sometimes inclined to agree that she may be right!! I gauge the girls poo consistency and amount, number/colour wees, weight, attitude, behaviour, sookiness, food intake, movement on any given day... and that's why I worry too much methinks. But when you feel some symptoms are connected or something isnt right, and people tell you not to worry so you leave it... then kick yourself because who knows your dogs best?

I'll have fingers firmly crossed that the cream works :) and it CAN be that simple.

Also, don't forget about good old fashioned warm salt water :)

Thanks KL. Yes - this has crossed my mind before. When we were kids we didn't look half as hard or vigilantly over our dogs, and they were generally fine :)

Also, don't forget about good old fashioned warm salt water :)

I was thinking about this last night as I too am a "salt water solution" remedy person. However I was a bit concerned that the sensation of the salt and perhaps even the small amount of wetness to his ear would have him shaking his head even more. And as that seems to be the crux of the continuing problem I thought it might be self defeating.

Active Manuka Honey is what Dr. Bruce suggested I use on it, but I'd run out of it (feeding it to Mandela throughout his issues) and didn't have it on hand to use at the time. I have restocked now though so if the cream I'm using doesn't continue to produce results I'll switch to the AMH and see how that goes.

Edited by Erny

What about vet wrapping the ear as vet wrap will stick to itself and also the hair a bit it may not come off so easily? I know of someone that usd to vet wrap the end of her dogs tail as it would split it wagging it into things and I seem to remember someone having vet wrapped an ear before as well.

Hi Erny :) . Im glad to hear you had a useful visit to your vet!

Cute photos of poor Mandela and his ear "arrangement" :)

I hope this test will give you some sort of direction to take with his recovery, and you can relax a bit and not have to worry so much about him, poor little soul.....

Please keep us updated!

Rat

What about vet wrapping the ear as vet wrap will stick to itself and also the hair a bit it may not come off so easily?

It was Vet wrap stuff that I used. After I tried the crape bandage.

But the suggestion would have been a good one had I not already tried it, so thank you :).

Edited by Erny

What about vet wrapping the ear as vet wrap will stick to itself and also the hair a bit it may not come off so easily?

It was Vet wrap stuff that I used. After I tried the crape bandage.

But the suggestion would have been a good one had I not already tried it, so thank you :) .

Bugger! Guess it doesn't stick enough. Snood seems to be the next best thing. Or wrap and then cover with a snood to keep the wrap on?

I need to add in here that I am quite astounded in the change in Mandela in this last 24 hour period. The only thing that has changed is the addition of the enzyme additive. I'd swear he looks more 'solid' in body. And good lord!!! The energy that he has is WAY up there! I think we might be heading out for a late night walk - admittedly I've had one of those days and the exercise/training was restricted to the back yard only. But there have been days when I've done less than that and although active enough, he wasn't acting as though he could climb the walls as he is tonight. He is being incredibly playful.

I've had these dramatic "up" days before with him though (eg. when I've switched foods; introduced holistic treatments; etc), so ;) ....... fingers crossed that this time it is something related to being spot on with treatment and that it will last. I won't hope too hard just at the moment though.

Edited by Erny

Erny,

I am sure its already been said but i can't find it right and as is the case when looking for something :laugh:

When will you get the results from the tests that were done on Monday?

:laugh: Oonga.

Dr Bruce indicated it would take approximately 3 days but as the tests are being run by the laboratory and are not 'in house', he can't guarantee that, so it could be longer.

Edited by Erny

Poor Mandela. The snood and elizabethan collar could be a good option.

I am glad you have found a solution with the enzymes. It's a bugger that it has taken this long to diagnose the problem.

On a side not I love the name Mandela. I named on of my past foster puggies Nelson, after Nelson Mandela, because he had a very dark face and prominent saddle markings despite being a fawn pug.