Will It Get Better?

all that glitters

I go back to work fulltime tomorrow and I have practiced leaving Shyla in her big lino room lots of times now, and I only went back in when she wasn't crying. I left her for 2hrs yesterday morning, and 3hrs in the arvo as practise and she took 15minutes of crying then settled down to sleep.

But today I have left her 2hrs so far, and she cried for 5mins, slept, then cried for 35mins :thumbsup: running around the room with a toy in her mouth crying and crying. She has finally just tired herself out and is asleep. I stayed in bed at the other end of the house so she wouldn't know I am home.

She has heaps of toys, a radio on, a cosy kennel with bedding (mind you at the moment shes sleeping on the lino with a soft toy) and although she cries and eventually settles... will her crying eventually end?????

Cos it's horrible and I'm wondering if I made a bad decision :thumbsup: Will she get used to the routine in a few weeks? I know its only day 4 and we haven't tried the real routine yet, but Ahhh!

Did you hang around to see if they cried heaps? Maybe thats the mistake I made, I shouldn't stay here listening to it :thumbsup: It's awful!! I dont know what the whole running around with a toy in her mouth thing means.. comfort?

I soooo hope she stops in the near future :thumbsup: I went out in the backyard and you can hear her a little, I hope the neighbours don't think I'm a biatch lol

ohhhhh its hard isnt it, the day after i got my little puppy, i had to go back to work

i was so worried the whole day and couldnt think of anything else besides her, i was worried she might die from crying haha

but when my partner went home 2 hours after we left her she was asleep.

you have to try not to worry, the reason they cry for you is because in the wild if a pup is left behind they will cry and cry until their mum comes back, eveentually she will relise she will be ok and then get used to it. shes still settling in as well dont worry she'll be fine :thumbsup:

It's like the worst thing ever!!!! I was hiding under the covers in my bed blocking my ears :thumbsup: I'm at my mums house now so I can get away from it and pretend I am at work lol.

She also did a few minutes of barking? I hope she isn't picking up bad habits already!

I dont know how I will concentrate at work tomorrow either, seriously it will be hard.

OK. I was seriously wondering if I made the wrong decision, but there are so many other full time workers with dogs who are used to being alone now, that I was like SURELY mine will turn out fine too?!

Well I can't hear her now that I am at mums, but also worrying cos I can't 'spy' on her lol.

I have a big marrow bone to give her tomorrow to gnaw on, hopefully that helps her!

I left the radio on for Mort for the first week, that and plenty of toys, a nice warm bed and area to play in and he was fine - we were really nervous about him crying/barking when we weren't there but about a month later we were talking with our next door neighbours (their house is about 1.5m from the side of ours) and asked them if he had been too loud at all and they were really surprised that we even had a dog cause they had never heard him :thumbsup:

Edited by FionaC

Shellectra, how your pup handles separation and being alone is largely dependent on you.

She needs to have a routine, to see you come and go calmly and to accept that this is her life. Personally, I don't support locking an active large breed pup in a room all day (I've made that point to you before) and would recommend that you change her situation ASAP.

I'd strongly recommend you read Poochmad's thread here about the routine she initally instituted for her pup and the results it created. I don't necessarily think you'll end up with a dog with separation anxiety but you need to guard against it. Poochmad has also neatly summarised good practices for destressing time alone for a pup.

Your dog needs stimulation and to learn to entertain herself when you aren't around. She will outgrow the room rapidly or possibly end up destroying it.

Get her into a more permanent daytime accommodation ASAP and stop yourself stressing - she will be picking up on it.

The smaller and more limiting you make your pup's environment, the greater the reliance she will have on you for stimulation. Have a think about that in terms of your current arrangements. She won't be a baby for long.

Edited by poodlefan

I agree that she'd probably be happier outside, if you can manage it. When my older dog Flynn came to live with me as a puppy he spent the first 3 weeks locked inside because I was worried about him being outside. He was still crying at week 3, and the neighbours did complain. Plus I'd come home to a hyperactive puppy, which I didn't enjoy very much.

Week 4, he went outside. I took him for a walk before I left for the day, put him outside with toys, kongs and bones, the neighbours stopped complaining and I came home to a happy, exhausted puppy.

When I got my young puppy, Jasper, he spent the first week in the laundry as he just looked too tiny to go outside. But he was miserable and bored. I'd put toys in there with him, and bones, and come home to find neither had been moved. So he went outside, and now he's happy.

I am going to be putting a dog door in, so then she has inside and outside access, it couldnt get any better than that could it? Then if she gets bored inside she can go outside in the sun, and vise versa.

I just thought I'd put off putting the dog door in until shes a bit older/less sillier thats all.

Anyway I left her for over 5hours today and came home to a sleeping pup and minimal mess :hug:

Mums always had her dogs indoors, big and small, and there are other DOLers on here who do too, so I guess we all have different situations and experiences that we learn from. My GSD breeder said he leaves his 4 inside when they are out and all they do is sleep *shrug*

I am going to be putting a dog door in, so then she has inside and outside access, it couldnt get any better than that could it? Then if she gets bored inside she can go outside in the sun, and vise versa.

I just thought I'd put off putting the dog door in until shes a bit older/less sillier thats all.

Anyway I left her for over 5hours today and came home to a sleeping pup and minimal mess :hug:

Mums always had her dogs indoors, big and small, and there are other DOLers on here who do too, so I guess we all have different situations and experiences that we learn from. My GSD breeder said he leaves his 4 inside when they are out and all they do is sleep *shrug*

How many of these dogs are alone?

Baby puppies aren't that challenging.. its the older puppies that need exercise and stimulation. But yes, your choice as to what practices you choose to follow.

Edited by poodlefan

Shellectra- are you going to a puppy school or training? Independence training from day one is vital and for an only dog to be in a small area for long periods of time can make things more difficult for you and your pup- particularly if you change things later on. I leave my dogs in the house as adults but never as puppies for long periods.

Don't expect your pup to 'grow out of' anything- puppies make transitions when you assist them in the right way to do so. :hug:

I would never leave a puppy locked inside the house for extended periods of time. Although baby puppies sleep a lot, they soon grow and their activity levels increase accordingly, your puppy will quickly become bored and frustrated locked in a room and may quite possibly start destroying your house.

I think some of you have missed the fact I'm going to be putting a dog door in? This gives access to outdoors??

I never said this was her permanent setup, I was asking if she would get used to the routine - meaning the routine of being alone while we go to work.

And the lino room isnt a 'small room' it's actually almost half the house.

I can tell this is turning into a bashing. Sorry for asking! :hug:

Edited by Shellectra

Well I certainly wasn't 'bashing' you, I was simply giving you the benefit of my experience. Unfortunately if you post on a public forum you're going to get lots of differing opinions, obviously you won't like all of them :hug: