Feeding Advise For A Cattle Dog Puppy (8 Weeks)

Puppy2009

My family and I are very excited to be getting our new little Cattle Dog puppy in 2 weeks when she will be 8 weeks old. She will not be used for a working dog, just a very loved pet for an active family. I have been reading HEAPS from this web sight, and this forum and have learnt so much (thank you)

I would be great full of suggestions of a well balanced diet, for a pup this young, that is available in Australia.

I understand that the breeder will give me a comprehensive list of what the pup has been eating, and the nutritional reqquitents of an ACD. I also know the importance of slowly introducing any new diet to the puppy.

The breeder is a registered breeder, who is extremely helpful and forthcoming with wonderful information, I am just interested in other peoples ideas and experience /sugestions, so I can make an informed decision about my pups long term diet.

Many thanks!

Hi! Congratz on getting your new pup soon.. can't wait to see some pics!

It really depends on what is available to you, what you can afford, what is recommended for your pup...

Our pup was on meat and puppy dry food when we first got her.. We consulted our vet about what was the best food for our pup.. We have gone with Royal Canin right from the beginning. We took a week to change over her food so she didn't get an upset tummy.. We still feed her royal canin and she loves it, her coat is healthy and given how much she eats, she doesn't poop as much (which we take to mean that she is "using" most of what she is eating and not wasting it).

We also feed her chicken wings and raw meaty bones from the butcher.. you can generally get a bag of them for about $2! We always supervised her with these while she was little to make sure she wouldn't choke or anything, but once she was about 5-6 months, she was left on her own to eat them.

It just involves a little bit of trial and error, and discussing with your vet and the breeder :rofl:

Best of luck!

As you youself have said, any change of diet should be made gradually, especially with a puppy :rofl:

We would NEVER consider changing the diet quickly, on adults let alone puppies.

We fed Nutro for many years and when it was first pulled from the Australian market here we were in a quandry with what to feed.

We tried Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance, Orijen and Artemis with mixed reactions from the dogs, and have gone back to Nutro's Lamb and Rice formula now that it is made here.

We also feed Ziwipeak.

The dry food forms the basis of their diets.

Totally agree there. It can and most often (in my experience) DOES cause upset tummies :laugh:

Good on you for doing your research :thumbsup: There's a wealth of information here :laugh:

Totally agree there. It can and most often (in my experience) DOES cause upset tummies :laugh:

Good on you for doing your research :laugh: There's a wealth of information here :)

Sidetracking the OP sorry.

I will change MY dogs' diet cold turkey, but they have always been raw fed and so get something different every meal anyway. Never had a problem

When I've had someone else's dog & they're dry food dogs I change their diet very slowly and some do have problems.

Depends on what they're fed IMO.

Back to the original question - if the diet the breeder gives you works for them and is easy enough for you to achieve, why consider changing it? If they have been breeding for a decent number of years they WILL know more about the requirements of their breed than your vet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all the lovely people who replied.. :o)

I haven't really gotten any FULL answers to my question though.. :laugh:

Would seem you get more advise if you put yourself out there as a bit of a

'dumb ass' ...lol... I might post again and 'word it differently....

Thanks again :rofl:

It's really hard to say what is 'best' when it comes to food, it really does depend what your dog does well on and what is available to you. (and how much you are willing to spend)

If you want to feed dry are you happy with what the breeder is using? (ie, is it a premium food, is it available to you to buy loccally and if not are you prepared to order it? etc.) If so, stick with it, at least for the time being. If not, change it SLOWLY.

If you are thinking of feeding raw/BARF do you have the time to do your research and prepare the right meals for your dog? Is everything you need available to you locally? Or will you buy a commercial style BARF product?

Then there's the option of feeding a combination of both...

I know that's more questions than answers, but all things you will need to consider.

If you're looking for a more straight to the point answer here it is: the best dry foods available in Australia at the moment are Artemis, Eagle Pack, Royal Canin or Nutrience.

But.... 1. You could find that none of these actually agree with your dog, 2.thats only my opinion (and everyone here has one :laugh: )

...and 3. I feed raw and would feed that over any dry food. :o

Thanks to all the lovely people who replied.. :o)

I haven't really gotten any FULL answers to my question though.. :laugh:

Thanks again :rofl:

You never will.

Diet is very much breed based & individual.

Not every breed can be feed the same thing so these questions are what you need to discuss with your breeder .

Many swear by BARF,I personally think its highly over rated but that is where everyone will agree to disagree BUT its important that you understand your breed first & any foods that are known to be an issue,again this is where your breeder will inform you.

The most important thing is to stick with the breeders diet for the pups sake & if you believe it isnt up to scratch then discuss other options with your breeder.

Many breeder contracts guarantee certain things on there diet.Ours does & any changes without consultation voids our agreement.

Diet is like a giant can of worms

ive never introduced a diet slow, just change stright away, althought i feed a variety or food ive never had a problem with a quick trasition

Do you have any idea how many puppies end up at the Vets in the initial week or so of being bought because the owner suddenly changes their diet? Obviously not.

I can tell you here and now that for every one that copes with sudden change, dozens do not, and for some the side effects can take quite some time to control and people have quite sick pups on their hands.

Why risk a gastro intesinal upset in a baby?

Lol, thanks for your reply..

Can of worms I like :thumbsup:

The more info the better, bring it on!!

Thanks to all the lovely people who replied.. :cheer:)

I haven't really gotten any FULL answers to my question though.. :cheer:

Thanks again :scold:

You never will.

Diet is very much breed based & individual.

Not every breed can be feed the same thing so these questions are what you need to discuss with your breeder .

Many swear by BARF,I personally think its highly over rated but that is where everyone will agree to disagree BUT its important that you understand your breed first & any foods that are known to be an issue,again this is where your breeder will inform you.

The most important thing is to stick with the breeders diet for the pups sake & if you believe it isnt up to scratch then discuss other options with your breeder.

Many breeder contracts guarantee certain things on there diet.Ours does & any changes without consultation voids our agreement.

Diet is like a giant can of worms