Hypo Puppy At Night

auir

Hi All

This is more so a question from my OH, our BC occasionally (maybe once a week or once a fortnight) will have a hypo moment after he goes to bed, he basically gets up and runs around outside like a little spaz and eventually hits the back door which wakes us up. When i go outside he is okay just really hyped up and his heart is racing, i normally just get him to sit down and put my hand on his chest so i can feel his heart rate and when he is settled (heart rate back to normal) put him back to bed and he goes to sleep. The OH is worried he will learn that this behaviour and it might lead to him doing it for attention since i go outside and get him to calm down.

I think he is he trying to burn off his last bit of engery since he has tried to sleep and cant? Anyone got any other thoughts on this?

Cheers

Yes, don't go out to him unless you're sure there's something wrong. I know when my cat was a kitten she would get the zoomies morning & night & run around the house like mad. She quietened down by about a 1yr old. I can't remember any of my puppies doing that but they sleep/slept inside at night.

Stoopid question time:

How do you know he is running around if you can't see him and him hitting the door wakes you up? :thumbsup:

im actually still awake in bed, the OH is asleep, and you can hear him running around the side of the house and then back to the backyard, i have peeked thru the blinds before to see what he was actually doing before going to settle him down and he is generally bashing up his teddy or running around the backyard with or without his teddy

so as an overall suggestion, leave him to it and he will settle him self down?

Don,t know where you live town or country?so this may not be applicable. When my dogs do that its a sign that a fox is outside, the other night one dog nearly went thru the glass door to get outside. :thumbsup:

Stoopid question time:

How do you know he is running around if you can't see him and him hitting the door wakes you up? :thumbsup:

im actually still awake in bed, the OH is asleep, and you can hear him running around the side of the house and then back to the backyard, i have peeked thru the blinds before to see what he was actually doing before going to settle him down and he is generally bashing up his teddy or running around the backyard with or without his teddy

so as an overall suggestion, leave him to it and he will settle him self down?

Yup. "mad minutes" are a frequent occurence at my place.

zoomie puppy.. LOL

my pup does this too... one minute he is fine, next he is going crazy.. afterwards, he has a drink of water, then comes to me to pick him to take him to bed.

Edited by charleswentworth

:thumbsup: Haha.. I call them broggies.

Mako does them at any moment (always outside tho) & you have to stay clear.

Koda does them after dinner (which involves me trying to calm her down) or straight after a shower & towel down with me (yes, fortunately its a big roman bath style shower.. she loves them).