Puppy Plans - Inside Puppy Now Outside :(

kyliegirl

my puppy will be with me in 5 weeks..

Originally I had complete plans to raise the puppy to both indoors/outdoors, being indoors the entire time we were home and doing the strategy of positive reinforcement and very strict supervision to ensure the puppy never had a chance to make a mistake.. I have a dog run lines up for him to go into when we work, and plans for toys, a crate, training tools and a puppy school lined up.

But now the landlords of the house we are in have strictly said no dogs inside, which has completely blown up my plans of properly training the puppy how to behave indoors.. And my OH is adamant to stick with the rules no matter how much we don't like them.

So the closest the puppy will be allowed to inside is the laundry, which I don't like but is unfortunately the case.. I still want to crate train, and go with our plans as I wanted, but the indoors training will not be possible until we buy our own house in 6 months, which then the puppy will have full access to inside and outside like I had planned and be a complete part of the family.. I will just have to go to step 1 again when we go to the new home so there is no mistakes in the house.

What can I do? I had everything planned but now its been broken in shambles, I am more than willing to spend as much time as possible outside with the puppy to train him and give him attention.. But what about when it comes to night time, the poor boy will be alone to sleep in the laundry in his crate free to scream murder and betrayal..

I need some suggestions and some help, a strategy, a guide to help the puppy cope the first few weeks.. No doubt the poor thing is going to spend the first few nights screaming, and unless I want a very angry OH and the risk of being blacklisted and booted by the tenants, there is nothing much else I can do..

I am at a loss :) I want him to be a huge part of our family, but the first 6 months he will need to stay outside against all of our wishes :rofl: Any help is appreciated.

did you know of this was a requirement of the landlords before you decided on getting a puppy?

nope it was a change of mind.. :)

they decided that a doberman would be too big to be allowed indoors and they dont want the floors scratched.

Edited by kyliegirl

It is nice of the landlord to allow the dog in the laundry, I wouldn't stress :)

When I got Diesel we were renting, dogs had to be outside. I had their crates set up inside in a sunroom near the backdoor, the landlord had seen them, not a problem. So Diesel was crate trained, but was outside (though when we visited my parents, he was allowed inside in their house). There was no problem with the transition of allowing him in the house when we moved.

I think you will be fine, don't worry :rofl:

You can still crate train the way you intended.

It is nice of the landlord to allow the dog in the laundry, I wouldn't stress :)

When I got Diesel we were renting, dogs had to be outside. I had their crates set up inside in a sunroom near the backdoor, the landlord had seen them, not a problem. So Diesel was crate trained, but was outside (though when we visited my parents, he was allowed inside in their house). There was no problem with the transition of allowing him in the house when we moved.

I think you will be fine, don't worry :rofl:

You can still crate train the way you intended.

thanks :rofl: I have the crate training dvd, I really want to do all of those methods to make the crate a great place, I know the crate doesn't need to be inside to do these, but I thought it would be alot easier for the puppy if he could've slept in his crate beside our bed compared to in his crate alone.. Which might give a bad experience.. And also easier to train to prevent any accidents in the crate. especially when the door would be closed in 6 mths time when its indoors..

How would I combat that?

Is there anything I can do to make sleeping alone outside not so bad for the pup?

Personally if you are buying a house in 6 months then why not wait till next year where you can train the dog the way you want & let it live the way you want.

Waiting longer seems well worth it

Maybe you could offer the Landlord extra bond to make him feel better about damage that could be done to the property. My OH wanted our girl to be strictly outdoors when we got her.. you try saying no to that sad little face at the door of a night when we're all in and she's out there. Impossible!!!

did you know of this was a requirement of the landlords before you decided on getting a puppy?

they decided that a doberman would be too big to be allowed indoors and they dont want the floors scratched.

Perhaps you should tell them that you will sand and revarnish the floors before you move out. They could get this in writing.

Personally if you are buying a house in 6 months then why not wait till next year where you can train the dog the way you want & let it live the way you want.

Waiting longer seems well worth it

I have waited over 3 years now, and I have already placed a deposit on the pup, the lines of this particular pup are exceptional and I do not want to miss out on the chance to have such a well bred pup. Sure there might be more, but The timing right now is right as I do not work complete weeks at the moment.. In 6 months time that might change.. And then I will have even less time to raise and train the puppy the way I would like. Even though he would be inside then, he may not receive as much attention and training as he will in these coming months that I will be able to provide.

Maybe you could offer the Landlord extra bond to make him feel better about damage that could be done to the property. My OH wanted our girl to be strictly outdoors when we got her.. you try saying no to that sad little face at the door of a night when we're all in and she's out there. Impossible!!!

tried that :) no go.

Perhaps you should tell them that you will sand and revarnish the floors before you move out. They could get this in writing.

Tried this too, but they mentioned something about the floorboards only being able to be sanded 3 times before they are too thin.

Edited by kyliegirl

We are also renting and puppy comes home next weekend, our landlord has said that we are allowed a dog, hasnt specified that the dog is not allowed indoors, his own dog i know sleeps inside. His floors are tiled though and ours are wooden, when pup gets older I am going to get those plastic nibs that go over the claws to prevent scratching.

If it were me I would put the dog in the crate and carry him through to your room in his crate, I mean how will the landlord know he is sleeping in the bedroom and he isnt walking on the floors so no chance of scratching.

You said pup allowed in laundry right? So you could put the crate in the laundry, which is not outside (or is it an external laundry?). Or maybe they'd be alright if you put the crate in say the kitchen if dog was only in crate and not wandering around.

You said pup allowed in laundry right? So you could put the crate in the laundry, which is not outside (or is it an external laundry?). Or maybe they'd be alright if you put the crate in say the kitchen if dog was only in crate and not wandering around.

its an external laundry, the door in the kitchen goes into the laundry which is 2 steps down and on cement. then there is a door that goes to the outside..

The problem with letting the puppy inside is my OH is adamant on obeying the landlords, he knows they probably wont find out if it was inside but he wont risk it. Not even for a few hours at night.. He is a REAL goodie too shoes

its an external laundry, the door in the kitchen goes into the laundry which is 2 steps down and on cement. then there is a door that goes to the outside..

The problem with letting the puppy inside is my OH is adamant on obeying the landlords, he knows they probably wont find out if it was inside but he wont risk it. Not even for a few hours at night.. He is a REAL goodie too shoes

If OH is adament he wont break the rules then I would wait until I got my own place, poor pup is going to feel very isolated stuck outside on his own the whole night.

i thought that may be the case. i think you could challenge the landlord if you wanted. check your lease and see what it says.

the other option would be to offer to give a "pet deposit" where you give an amount to cover any potential damage.

I think it's entirely fair that the person who owns the property can say what can and can't be inside the house. No matter how we'd all like to pretend that puppies are dear little angels, the fact is most of them have an amazing capacity to be incredibly destructive. Breaking the rules will only make it harder for future tenants with pets.

Doberman puppies aren't exactly small and fragile, he will be fine, although he'll probably scream his little lungs out for a few days. Just spend loads of time outside with him and help him settle in the laundry each nigt in his crate. The six months will go pretty quick and you'll have your own house. It won't take long to train him for being inside.

I think it's entirely fair that the person who owns the property can say what can and can't be inside the house. No matter how we'd all like to pretend that puppies are dear little angels, the fact is most of them have an amazing capacity to be incredibly destructive. Breaking the rules will only make it harder for future tenants with pets.

Doberman puppies aren't exactly small and fragile, he will be fine, although he'll probably scream his little lungs out for a few days. Just spend loads of time outside with him and help him settle in the laundry each nigt in his crate. The six months will go pretty quick and you'll have your own house. It won't take long to train him for being inside.

thanks gaylek, I can understand completely that from a homeowners POV they would deny any more pets because they couldn't trust one person with their pets to obey the rules. I dont want to ruin it for other pet owners either, its already hard finding a rental on the market that allows pets in brisbane :)

I will try make it as comfortable as possible for the puppy as I can :rofl: I will just take twice as much effort making sure its all a positive experience for him.

could you talk to your landlord about having the up wear boots inside? re: floor scratching?

unfortunately i suggested everything, boots, claw coats, socks, rugs, mats, puppy pens and only allowed on rugs, constant supervision, paying for damage, rebuffing the boards when we leave..

They wouldnt have any of it :) I tried to change their mind twice now, but they just will not change their mind. Its a no win, the neighbours said the landlords had a dog but it was outside all the time and when the lady got pregnant the dog went away :rofl: So I do not think these people are going to change their minds or consider anything I said about the raising of the puppy..

could you talk to your landlord about having the up wear boots inside? re: floor scratching?

unfortunately i suggested everything, boots, claw coats, socks, rugs, mats, puppy pens and only allowed on rugs, constant supervision, paying for damage, rebuffing the boards when we leave..

They wouldnt have any of it :) I tried to change their mind twice now, but they just will not change their mind. Its a no win, the neighbours said the landlords had a dog but it was outside all the time and when the lady got pregnant the dog went away :rofl: So I do not think these people are going to change their minds or consider anything I said about the raising of the puppy..

that is bad luck. do you think it is the right time for a puppy or maybe wait for another 6 months?

such a hard decision i wouldn't want to be you :rofl:

I have not read everyones comments but some real estate agents have rules that state no dogs are allowed inside regardless.

If they have said you can have it in the laundry I would not be to faised.

Maybe let the dog in to have some quite time with you then back outside.

Just dont abuse it, monitor the dog inside and ensure it does not disgrace itself with chewing or jumping on walls etc.

Make it lay down quitely with you then back out.

Also keep your dog very clean so there is no doggy smell in the house!!!