Why Does Puppy 'squeak' ?

mrs tornsocks

Our gorgeous new 8 wko lab pup Archie seems to cry a bit while he's playing with his toys. He is perfectly happy but he just lets out little cry now and then while he's attacking 'monkey', 'craw' or his squeaky skittle - he also did this with a venison ear we gave him while he was chewing on it.

I am not worried about it at all and know it's quite normal because our last lab did it, just interested in any theories people might have in why they do it.

thanks, here he is ....

archieoverchair.jpg

archiearriveson-onredcarpet-1.jpg

Edited by mrs tornsocks

I don't know why but I will be watching this post with interest.

My little pup also does this. She mostly does this when she wants our older boy to play but when he is just lying there. She rolls on her back and does these squeaky sorts of cries while pawing at the air :rofl:

Since playing in puppies is basic training for hunting and killing etc. (in the dogs ancestors) I would presume the puppy vocalising is probably training for the sounds that an adult would normally do when they are psyching themselves up for the hunt along with all the other emotions that puppies go through when they are practicing, frustration, excitement, happiness, guarding, etc. :mad

Edited by STITCH

Mrs Tornsocks, Mason does the same................

Since I started this post, Archie has pretty much stopped 'squeaking' !! It must have been more about his settling in period and missing his mummy etc.

He growls and rumbles with the toys, no cries.