Pal Dentabones

angelsophie

So we have a delightful but chewy 12 week old Havanese.

as part of trying to get him not to chew on us we gave him some of these. huge hit and one of the few things that he will sit and chew on. Are they bad for him too often?? I got him a puppy nylabone today but he cant devour it in the same way.

TIA

Bec

as part of trying to get him not to chew on us we gave him some of these. huge hit and one of the few things that he will sit and chew on. Are they bad for him too often?? I got him a puppy nylabone today but he cant devour it in the same way.

TIA

Bec

I brought the same thing but I read the package which had a very small fine print ( i thought it was irresponsible of them to put it that small as the packaging specifically states its for puppies :rofl: ) that says not suitable for puppies less than 4 months old. I didnt end up giving it to him.... brought him a lamb neck bone instead and he loves it. Chews on it for an hour without getting tired... i had to grab it off him when he wasn't looking :laugh:

And yes i was thinking the same thing. Giving him something to chew is better than him chewing us! :) :) :)

I've been giving my pup one of those detabones a week since 9 weeks old, and he seems to really enjoy chewing them. Normal meat bones don't agree with his stomach, so it's good to have these as a option. :laugh:

TIA

Bec

I brought the same thing but I read the package which had a very small fine print ( i thought it was irresponsible of them to put it that small as the packaging specifically states its for puppies :rofl: ) that says not suitable for puppies less than 4 months old. I didnt end up giving it to him.... brought him a lamb neck bone instead and he loves it. Chews on it for an hour without getting tired... i had to grab it off him when he wasn't looking :laugh:

And yes i was thinking the same thing. Giving him something to chew is better than him chewing us! :) :) :)

lol we got caught out with this as well, we held off giving them to him until he was 4 months, be loves them now tho, keeps him busy for quite some time - alot longer than a chicken neck does

bit of deceptive marketing i think on Pal's behalf ie other company's state on the front of the packaging suitable for xx months.

They also get stuck in the face wickies and are absolutely awful to try to get them out when they dry there!!

Raw chicken necks, raw carrot, solid rubber toy bones and the occasional piggy ear are all I give now!

if the chicken neck doesnt last long move up to a large chicken wing instead. Those are OK for very occasional treats but with the tummy size of your dog they end up counting as a meal - and a very junky one at that.

Yuo can also consider unbleached rawhide chews/pigs ears or even a section of lamb neck to chew on

I don't like them. No nutritional benefit in them IMO. Agree with giving pup a raw "real" bone instead, or a whole carrot, or an iceblock with some treats frozen in there (better in summer obviously) :p

I gave my JRT one once and once only as he had the worst case of pancreatitis after it and i had to rush him to Strathfield vet at 3 o'clock in the morning (1 hours and 20 minute drive on Easter Sunday). But in saying that he would get dreedful bouts of pancreatitis and in the end became near impossible to feed.

I'm not too worried about the calories - it takes my pup about a week to eat one, and he can't eat raw bones :eek:

I might try carrots too though

Do you wash, peel, etc them?

Edited by Jen21

does raw meat agree with him? Or is it just the necks etc

you can try larger cuts of bone like a shank with a little meat left on - cant eat the bone but gets his exercise from it

Hey guys, thankyou all for your responses. I have taken the dentabones away. The reason we liked them basially was becuse he did. It was something he would sit and chew quite happily that wasnt one of us :D He is an indoor dog and with a 4 and a six year old it was preferable to a meaty bone in the house. Its wet and cold out and toilet training in the rain is enough lol!

He weighs only 1.6 kg as of today (been for vaccs). I am more than happy to give whole raw chicken necks but I tried 2 nights ago and had to retrieve the thing from his oesophagus so I am hapy to mince them with a cleaver till he s able to chew them.

Any advice, tips or toy recommendations greatly recieved. We have a little sucess with a kong but not really with his nylabone or other toys. I went to get him a tug just and treat ball but they were bigger than him so waiting for small sizes on those.

The other thing he is doing is digging and chewing at the carpet????? ANY advice on how to stop this its driving me mad - the dentabone just kept him from that but I want something he can have all the time.

Bec

How old is the pup? You can also teach your puppy that its not ok to do those.. discipline works as well as distraction :thumbsup:

I know everyone here loves kongs.. our old dog was never fussed on them because the food just got stuck in there..he was lazy and couldn't be bothered trying to get it out of one little hole.

I have seen, (they ahve them at the big petshop near where I live) a different brand, but same concept, type of toy.

Its the shape of an egg, but the top half of it, when sitting upright, itsn't solid, its kind of like netting-its made of rubber and very sturdy I woudl think. My sister has one for her dog and its good because there are lots of holes they can try and get the food out of..keeps them entertained for aaaaaaages! She puts chicken necks in there and her little ones take about 40 mins with it in their crates just licking and chewing :) She also sometimes uses big chunk of cheese, or occasionally salami squished in there.

Just remember to make sure your puppy knows that not only is the chewing the bone GOOD, but that the chewing the carpet is BAD!

Also a loud (not yelling) "ugh ugh!!", then follow up with distraction (bone, chew toy) and then praise for doing the right thing. The aim is for him to associate chewing the carpet with your displeasure and chewing the bone with pleasing you.

Oh I want another puppy!!!

And don't worry..they're not like this forever :thumbsup:

Also a loud (not yelling) "ugh ugh!!", then follow up with distraction (bone, chew toy) and then praise for doing the right thing. The aim is for him to associate chewing the carpet with your displeasure and chewing the bone with pleasing you.

Oh I want another puppy!!!

And don't worry..they're not like this forever :)

We tried the uh uh and giving him a toy then praising when he chews it. This is something we have done very consistently since he came home. Even the kids do it. The only thing worth not chewing the carpet for was the dentabones :thumbsup:

Its been 11 yrs since i had a puppy lol :rofl: He sooo gorgeous and smart.....just a brat too :eek: