I Give Up With Training Diesel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have decided to stop the Polaramine and try Iramine again for his skin. The Polaramine wasn't as effective.

I still actually think there is an underlying problem, I don't he should be so lethargic at only 5 years of age.

Kavik have you taken him to a chiro? or tried acupuncture or something like that. Koori is quite like your boy and she's totally disinterested when her back is tight and sore she too will actively avoid me if I going into training mode and she's not feeling the best. It might just be him of course, but I think you said once before he wasn't naturally the least bit food motivated. Did you try toys or verbal physical praise in the end?

It's hard and frustrating sometimes isn't it?

He is food motivated, and will sometimes work well for food, but other times not that interested. Will normally work well for his dinner. But if I try say doing sends to dry food (using his dinner) at other times of the day, he is not that keen.

I tried having OH do a little bit with him, as he and OH get on well, I can't say he was that much better really. Was a struggle though, OH doesn't want to do anything with the dogs.

I haven't tried a chiro.

Not sure if you have a chiro that you have used before, but we have used the chiro Gary Barnsley from animal holistic therapies in Greendale (west syd) for Scout. He was great with her and treated her for a back problem she had.

I take Polaramine for my allergies. They leave me SERIOUSLY dopey - and I'm normally a fairly motivated person.

I had to take one at a dog trial last year. Had just finished the stays with my dog in CCD, and had a while to wait until the presentation (we passed - a miracle that I worked a very long time for). Anyway, there was all this dog hair in the air and it was starting to get to me so I took a tablet and that was it - I just sat down then thought 'I'll just lie down for a minute' and I fell fast asleep on the grass. Dog went to sleep by my side.

Didn't wake up until someone was trying to drive their station wagon onto the oval and they had to wake me up to move me. Luckily, we didn't miss the presentations.

And this is typical of my experience with Polaramine - but it's the only drug I've found that works with my allergies so it's better than being sick. But yes, it is a seriously dopey-making medication so I think trying a change may be a good option.

I also think giving obed training a break and after a while just doing less serious things (perhaps some silly tricks) to keep things light-hearted is also very good advice. If the dog's switching off and you're stressed you'll be putting pressure on your dog and that just leads to more stress in my experience.

Hi Kavik,

Sorry to hear that Diesel has health issues. I hope you are able to identify the cause and sort it out. My Dad had a lovely Staffy bitch who had skin allergies and when she was affected it certainly made her miserable the poor girl. I don't know about dogs but any antihistamine drugs make me so vague and sleepy.

There are some lovely Kelpies in rescue at the moment, if you did decide to go that way, but totally understand if you wanted to stick to a registered breeder. I did catch myself drooling over a chocolate one somewhere and the blue one in Blacktown pound though.

In the interim, I would be happy to 'loan' you a couple of my rescues to train (that is if you could see yourself with a cattle dog). I have the opposite problem and could use some help. All of my foster dogs want to do stuff with me and there isn't enough 'me' to go around. I can think of a couple of stand-out training prospects off the top of my head. Frosty would probably be top of the list. I have resisted doing too much training with her as I am already way too attached to her and it will be hard to rehome her as it is. She is toy, food and people focussed and incredibly athletic. You could train her for flyball in a heartbeat, obedience or agility. A couple of others are in Sydney too. So, if you want to borrow a dog to train, just let me know :)

Shaz

I'll let you know if I need to borrow a dog to train :) I haven't had much to do with Cattle Dogs, but they sound like they would certainly be a fun training challenge.

Have to wait for finances to get a bit better before I get another one - certainly with Diesel being so expensive medically :rofl:.

Will definitely be from a breeder - OH won't let me consider rescue after the problems I had with Zoe and dog aggression (though I have told him they are not all like that, some have lovely temps, and it was not all her fault. I know a lot more now). And almost 100% will be another Kelpie.

In the mean time, Diesel enjoyed an outing to OH's parents house (they adore him), greeted everyone including guests happily, put up with being picked up by his brother and even did a front and finish nicely for me when I did a demo for his brother's OH. Then when asked he lay quietly on his mat. He was cheeky and tried to get a pheasant carcass though :laugh: but is a good boy and let go when asked.