Vet Medication Charges

Simply contact all of them, explain they're charging too much, and you expect them to significantly lower their profit margin.

And that you'll go onto a forum and tell the world. They're sure to back down then :eek: In fact, they'll GIVE you money not to do it! AND not charge you for the goods! :eek:

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply contact all of them, explain they're charging too much, and you expect them to significantly lower their profit margin.

And that you'll go onto a forum and tell the world. They're sure to back down then :cheer: In fact, they'll GIVE you money not to do it! AND not charge you for the goods! :eek:

All this time I've been doing it WRONG! Who knew?! <head palm> :cheer:

:eek::)

Right - I am off the the supermarket - must remember to ask them to disclose the cost price of the raspberry jam and mustard I am going to buy so I can make sure I am not being ripped off.

I might drive a further 10 mins to make sure that Coles is not cheaper than Franklins - but what's a girl to do - there's a Woolies 10 mins in the opposite direction. Decisions decisions....

It is amazing that the pro vet lobby are happy to be "ripped off". The argument that everyone marks up excessively makes it an acceptable practice?

When I go to a sporting event a bucket of chips are $5.00; I know I am being ripped off and there is a substantial mark up. I can elect to bring my own food or pay the inflated charge for the convenience. If I am experiencing financial hardship or have 5 children I will not buy. The scenario at most vets is you enter the consultation room, the vet diagnoses your pet and you are then confronted by a girl on reception with her head stuck in a computer. She hits the magic key and a printer spits out the bill and you are waiting for the surprise. The only fee you are aware of prior to entering the consultation room is the consultation fee.

Right - I am off the the supermarket - must remember to ask them to disclose the cost price of the raspberry jam and mustard I am going to buy so I can make sure I am not being ripped off.

I might drive a further 10 mins to make sure that Coles is not cheaper than Franklins - but what's a girl to do - there's a Woolies 10 mins in the opposite direction. Decisions decisions....

It is amazing that the pro vet lobby are happy to be "ripped off". The argument that everyone marks up excessively makes it an acceptable practice?

When I go to a sporting event a bucket of chips are $5.00; I know I am being ripped off and there is a substantial mark up. I can elect to bring my own food or pay the inflated charge for the convenience. If I am experiencing financial hardship or have 5 children I will not buy. The scenario at most vets is you enter the consultation room, the vet diagnoses your pet and you are then confronted by a girl on reception with her head stuck in a computer. She hits the magic key and a printer spits out the bill and you are waiting for the surprise. The only fee you are aware of prior to entering the consultation room is the consultation fee.

Ha! Poodle3081, that is exactly what happen to me, I think the nicer/posh the surgery the bigger the bill $$'s. We must have gone to the same vet.

If I am experiencing financial hardship or have 5 children I will not buy.

Exactly. Ask for an explanation of each and every charge if you want, and choose to buy or go elsewhere. If you think that all vets are too expensive for you, the (here comes the old chestnut), don't get a pet.

Why are vets being singled out as the only business that has to work at a loss?

Edited by Paula-

The scenario at most vets is you enter the consultation room, the vet diagnoses your pet and you are then confronted by a girl on reception with her head stuck in a computer. She hits the magic key and a printer spits out the bill and you are waiting for the surprise. The only fee you are aware of prior to entering the consultation room is the consultation fee.

How many more times are you going to repeat yourself and expect others to do the same in replying :eek: You have your opinion and that's fine, but stop trying to ram it down the throat of others.

That's all this is about. You want people to join you on a vet bashing rampage but it isn't happening for you, is it.

I've never left a vet consultation without knowing exactly what drugs etc. I was going to walk out with... the need for them, how to use them, their interactions with other medications etc. etc. all explained.

If you don't know when you walk out of the consult, or don't like anything else about the service, then be proactive:

1) Ask questions

2) Vote with your feet and find a new vet

If they aren't explaining meds etc. then you can be seeing very decent vets in the first place... :eek:

Edit for clarity

Edited by zayda_asher

Who's silly fault is it for not asking for prices beforehand then? :eek:

Quite frankly, I don't see it as "most vets" at all. Possibly YOUR vet, in which case - ask first, or get a new vet. Or don't go to a vet at all - your choice.

And, NM - that's YOUR CHOICE to go there or not. You can say the same for doctor's surgeries. The 3 vets I've been to up here all have no frills waiting rooms, so if you keep going to a place that you're not happy with and you have a choice - more fool you! :eek: Difficult concept for you I can see :)

If you think that all vets are too expensive for you, the (here comes the old chestnut), don't get a pet.

:eek::eek::) That's a novel approach, Paula. I was thinking exactly the same thing.

It is amazing that the pro vet lobby are happy to be "ripped off".

The only fee you are aware of prior to entering the consultation room is the consultation fee.

:eek:

I don't take to being ripped off too kindly yet I have no issues with my vet which would indicate I do not consider they rip me off.

Well yes - the only fee I am aware of is the consult fee because I have no idea what the vet will diagnosis will I? I do know roughly what a course of ABs cost for my dog. As part of my consult, we will discuss medication - what is best, what is most cost effective etc.

I do not think it is a case of the pro vet lobby here - more a case of a few vet bashers who are failing to find an audience.

Who's silly fault is it for not asking for prices beforehand then? :eek:

Quite frankly, I don't see it as "most vets" at all. Possibly YOUR vet, in which case - ask first, or get a new vet. Or don't go to a vet at all - your choice.

And, NM - that's YOUR CHOICE to go there or not. You can say the same for doctor's surgeries. The 3 vets I've been to up here all have no frills waiting rooms, so if you keep going to a place that you're not happy with and you have a choice - more fool you! :) Difficult concept for you I can see :cheer:

Your so lucky, we only have 1 vet in my town, they are having a field day, I just told the dog not to get sick or he is cactus. :eek:

I never feel "ripped off" at my vets.

You obviously are going to the wrong vet poodle3081. As many have said in this thread, a good relationship with your vet is priceless.

At the end of the day, vet practices are a business. They have staff, insurance, overheads, rent, etc etc. They work long hard hours and often do a very difficult job.

How is a vet supposed to tell you how much something will cost pre consult when they have no idea whats wrong with the dog?? :eek:

I think as the vet is shoving things in the front and back of the dog, the person should be told of the options first, they may not be able to afford the drugs.

I am sticking up for the pensioners here. :eek:

I think as the vet is shoving things in the front and back of the dog, the person should be told of the options first, they may not be able to afford the drugs.

I dont know what sort of vets you go to but mine do. I'm also given a worst case scenario re costs, but that wasnt the OP's concern. She simply resents the fact that vets markup pharmaceuticals. Big deal. My baker charges $2.50 for a loaf of bread that costs him 20 cents in ingredients to make. So what - he's running a business not a charity.

I dont know what sort of vets you go to but mine do. I'm also given a worst case scenario re costs, but that wasnt the OP's concern. She simply resents the fact that vets markup pharmaceuticals. Big deal. My baker charges $2.50 for a loaf of bread that costs him 20 cents in ingredients to make. So what - he's running a business not a charity.

Now raz, I have baked bread, and it costs more than $0.20 for ingredience, there is gas/oil equipment/a girl to sell it, rent, and so on. If the baker was a vet you would be paying about $10 for that loaf.