Burn Or Reaction To Injection?

Hmmm.. one would surmise that if heat mats were used whilst surgery was carried out ,then the practice would have heat pads for use in post-op- not water bottles?

We were a very basic practice- I used to warm the operating table with HW bottles.. prior to surgery.... then we had a heater on out in the recovery room.. it was lovely and warm. :laugh: HW bottles were only used for tiny animals.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback. Went to the vet this morning and she is happy that it hasn't got any worse, and seems to have softened up a bit (less leathery). I just need to keep up the cream and finish off his antibiotics and she will check it again on Saturday. She also clipped hiim for me so it will be easier to treat and keep clean. I'm still not positive what has caused this, it doesn't seem to be painful or bother him. Anyone know what a reaction to an injection would look like?

Here's a pic of it this morning...

post-27684-1244425186_thumb.jpg

That looks so much as I remember the pics of Beau's burn :eek: Poor pup, we can only hope it is not too painful.

If it is a burn, hopefully because we started treating right away it won't get as bad as poor Beau's did. I think the only thing he is finding painful is that I won't let him get under the covers in bed cos the cream gets everywhere. :eek:

The funny thing is that I was so worried about the neutering and it's ended up being the least of my concerns!

Edited by moosepup

I would think if the vet is treating it as a burn then that's what she thinks it is. Poor little pup. Hope it heals with no problems.

Or treating to cover most of the differential diagnoses. It's better to cover bases for treating a burn if that is a possibility. I don't think we can draw any conclusions.

I agree with Rappie. It was most likely my panicking (haha) that helped prompt her to start treating it as a burn just to err on the side of caution. I will just be happy if it clears up with the AB's and cream.

Hi Moosepup,

Sorry to hear about your little boy :thumbsup: Hopefully it starts to improve soon. The time frame seems similar to when it happened to us - at least if it is a burn they are treating it as such.

I would just be looking out for any necrotic skin around the site, if it is a burn this will indicate how big it actually is, hard to see if there is any around the raw area from the photo.

I agree that hot water bottles shouldn't be used for every patient. I have worked in lots of vet clinics and even 10 years ago the vets I worked for wouldn't use them for 'everyday' patients. We only used them for newly delivered puppies. I believe heating pads are far more reliable and safe.

Keep us updated.

:thumbsup:

Hi goldengirl,

Thank you for replying. I think it's mostly due to you sharing your story with us that he is being treated for a burn straight away. If I hadn't read your story a few weeks ago it probably wouldn't have occured to me that something like this could be caused by a hot water bottle. I have a feeling the vet may have tried something else first if I didn't push for it, I even shared your story with her lol.

I haven't noticed any necrotic tissue around the wound but will definitely watch out for it. I'm still a bit nervous that he has quite a few hairs coming out around the area but I think this might just be due to the shaving. I'm a worry wart!!!!! It's so awful when something happens to our pets because you can't explain it to them and they can't tell you how they feel. :thumbsup:

Will let you know how it progresses. :thumbsup:

I know exactly how you feel :thumbsup:

Hopefully Beau's story helped your little man from suffering as much as he may have otherwise.

I am sure he will be fine, he looks like a pretty tough little guy.

Let us know what happens.

GG

Ouch looks sore :thumbsup:

Then only thing I am thinking is the positioning of where it is. I guess it's possible it happened during the surgery whilst he was on his back if he was put on a really hot HWB, but I can't imagine they would be used much in theatre as they wouldn't be very stable and the patient would be floating around on it. Most cradles I have seen used are only really heated around the edges, not directly underneath, and the heat mats I wouldn't think would get hot enough to cause a burn.

During recovery, they are not put on their backs. And if he did end up on his back it would be because he was conscious and therefore would be able to move and roll off his back.

I'm not saying it isn't a burn, but with all those things in mind, I would be less inclined to think it would be.

... the heat mats I wouldn't think would get hot enough to cause a burn.

But couple the warmth of the heat mat with a very small amount of moisture and the lack of air due to a dog resting on that point, the moisture could heat up enough to cause a skin burn couldn't it?

I'm not saying it isn't a burn, but with all those things in mind, I would be less inclined to think it would be.

If it isn't a burn any idea what else it could be?? I've tried to find pics of reactions at injection site but am having no luck. I have no idea what else it could be. :thumbsup:

I hope whatever it is the treatment I'm using now heals it up.

That last pic of your wee boy's back looks very much like my old boy's front leg where they injected the anaesthetic. He had a reaction to it and it seemed to burn his skin. He's not a dog that suffers from sensitive skin either so was just a fluke. It healed well anyway and hopefully your little chap's back will heal quickly too, whatever the cause of the wound is. :thumbsup:

That last pic of your wee boy's back looks very much like my old boy's front leg where they injected the anaesthetic. He had a reaction to it and it seemed to burn his skin. He's not a dog that suffers from sensitive skin either so was just a fluke. It healed well anyway and hopefully your little chap's back will heal quickly too, whatever the cause of the wound is. :provoke:

Was the wound as big Arty?? My uncle (who is a nurse (for humans though!)) did say that if an injection is given too shallow under the skin or if it's still being injected as the needle is coming out may cause a burn like reaction so it is possible I suppose. Moose is pretty small (only 1.8kg) so I imagine it might be a bit more difficult judging needle depth than in a larger dog. But what do I know??? :laugh:

Glad to hear your boy recovered well. I need to hear these encouraging stories at the moment! :thumbsup:

That last pic of your wee boy's back looks very much like my old boy's front leg where they injected the anaesthetic. He had a reaction to it and it seemed to burn his skin. He's not a dog that suffers from sensitive skin either so was just a fluke. It healed well anyway and hopefully your little chap's back will heal quickly too, whatever the cause of the wound is. :provoke:

Was the wound as big Arty?? My uncle (who is a nurse (for humans though!)) did say that if an injection is given too shallow under the skin or if it's still being injected as the needle is coming out may cause a burn like reaction so it is possible I suppose. Moose is pretty small (only 1.8kg) so I imagine it might be a bit more difficult judging needle depth than in a larger dog. But what do I know??? :laugh:

Glad to hear your boy recovered well. I need to hear these encouraging stories at the moment! :thumbsup:

The patch on my dog was much bigger than the area on your fella, it would have been 2cm x 4cm easily. It had to be covered because it irritated him so much he licked it which made it worse. At lease your boy's patch is in an area he can't reach! :laugh:

The patch on my dog was much bigger than the area on your fella, it would have been 2cm x 4cm easily. It had to be covered because it irritated him so much he licked it which made it worse. At lease your boy's patch is in an area he can't reach! :laugh:

Some anaesthetic drugs have a very high pH so do burn the skin if accidentally injected outside a vein, but I can't imagine they would have been injecting those into his back? They're normally injected directly into a vein on the front leg or hind leg, and that's where you see the reaction if you miss the vein.

Is the burn spot in the same place that the vet gave the anti-inflammatory injection, Moosepup?

Edited by Staranais

Is the burn spot in the same place that the vet gave the anti-inflammatory injection, Moosepup?

Hi Staranais,

I believe that to be the case. Unfortunately when I took him in to have it checked out the vet that did his surgery wasn't working that day, however, the vet I did see said that it is most likely that the anti-inflammatory was injected in that spot. She did say that she has never seen a reaction like this before though. You think this might be the cause??

It's looking okay atm, definitely not getting any worse which is a relief. I have been washing it with salt water and letting it dry and then putting on his burn cream twice a day, in conjunction with his AB's.

Hi Staranais,

I believe that to be the case. Unfortunately when I took him in to have it checked out the vet that did his surgery wasn't working that day, however, the vet I did see said that it is most likely that the anti-inflammatory was injected in that spot. She did say that she has never seen a reaction like this before though. You think this might be the cause??

I don't know, I'm not a real vet yet, and even if I was I wouldn't like to hazard a guess without seeing him in real life. :)

But if the injection was in exactly the same spot as the reaction, that does seem rather suggestive to me that it could be the cause?

Glad he's feeling better anyway.

Edited by Staranais