Council 'breed Assessment'

bustam

Ive posted this on another forum, but thought its worth me posting here too..

so the story goes

my cousin (in nsw) has just been informed they have to meet with someone (im presuming from council?) for a 'breed assessemnt' on their PB. Theyve been told their meeting in a mcdonalds carpark, a two hour drive away, and are charging her a fee of $65 to supposedly 'assess' her dog.

this all came about after the ranger came to her house on an un-related matter and upon sighting the other dog playing in the yard said "thats a PB, we're going to have to assess that"

[for the record, before the 'what did the dog do' brigade comes along, both dogs are social and generally well behaved dogs, one just thinks the grass is greener on the other side...]

does anyone have any knowledge or experience on these circumstances, is this the norm?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bustam

This is info I know about

Sorry I dont know how to get the Web Link Thingy to direct link there!

It seems STUPID to me to asess a Restricted Breed in a Bloody Mcdonalds Car park if as the Govt claims they are so incredibly dangerous!!

Now thats the POT calling the Kettle !

Restricted Breeds and Declared Dangerous Dogs

Important Information for owners of Restricted & Dangerous Dogs in NSW

There are now increased requirements for the control of restricted breeds and dogs declared dangerous as well as higher penalties for not meeting the new safety obligations. These changes are in the interest of safety for the entire community.

Restricted and Dangerous Dogs in NSW | PDF 167Kb

http://cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Residents/d...s/dandogs11.pdf

woohoo I did the link thingy !!

J

Edited by desexemall

Ive posted this on another forum, but thought its worth me posting here too..

so the story goes

my cousin (in nsw) has just been informed they have to meet with someone (im presuming from council?) for a 'breed assessemnt' on their PB. Theyve been told their meeting in a mcdonalds carpark, a two hour drive away, and are charging her a fee of $65 to supposedly 'assess' her dog.

this all came about after the ranger came to her house on an un-related matter and upon sighting the other dog playing in the yard said "thats a PB, we're going to have to assess that"

[for the record, before the 'what did the dog do' brigade comes along, both dogs are social and generally well behaved dogs, one just thinks the grass is greener on the other side...]

does anyone have any knowledge or experience on these circumstances, is this the norm?

Firstly your cousin must be issued with a "notice of intent" to declare the dog to be of a restricted breed. If there has not been a notice issued then they do not have to take any action regarding their dog.

If and when an NOI has been issued, your cousin can opt for a " breed assessment" this is NOT done by any ranger or council officers, as it would be considered a conflict of interest. You cousin can obtain from the DLG a list of all breed assessors in NSW,. You cousin can pick anyone from that list they choose to do the assessment, of course they will have to pay the standard fee. They can negotiate a place to meet with the assessor, it can be a park or where ever is convenient for the two of them.

You cousin will have 28 days to seek breed assessment and then a temperament test if the dog is found to be a restricted breed cross, from the date of the notice.

ETA: If they have plenty of money to spare, they could always opt to go to court.

Edited by PPS

hmm ok, thanks for that, so it sounds as though the 'Mcdonalds meeting' is basically to ascertain visually whether the dog is in fact a PB or part PB... if they deem it to be they'll refer the dog for a temperment assessment

So when the dog passes the temperment assessment, things shouldn't change much except it be noted she has a restricted breed on her property?

(She's panicking that they'll have to keep him locked up in the said cage, muzzle etc when he's such a sweetheart of a dog)

Edited by bustam

hmm ok, thanks for that, so it sounds as though the 'Mcdonalds meeting' is basically to ascertain visually whether the dog is in fact a PB or part PB... and then when that is confirmed (lol) they'll refer the dog for a temperment assessment

So when the dog passes the temperment assessment, things shouldn't change much except it be noted she has a restricted breed on her property?

(She's panicking that they'll have to keep him locked up in the said cage, muzzle etc when he's such a sweetheart of a dog)

Ask you cousin do they have an NOI and if not, there will be no Maccas meeting. The NOI has to be taken to the breed assessment anyway.

Yes, it's a visual. If the dog is found to be a restricted breed then that's it and they must comply with the requirements of owning one. If it's found to be a restricted breed cross then your cousin must seek a temp test from a person that is authorised to do so. They can again choose whoever they like from that list.

Once an NOI has been issued the clock is ticking, so if your cousin decides to go down the road of BA and TT then they need to be on the ball as council can automatically declare once the 28 days are up.

They also need to be aware that if an NOI has been issued, that they have to comply with the leash and muzzle components of the legislation and that basically means dog on leash and muzzled whenever out of the house and that includes your back yard. Council can and will check to see if they are complying in the interim.

ETA: if the dog is found to be a RB cross at the breed assessment, it is then recorded on the microchip as a Pit Bull cross or APBT cross. The breed name is changed. If during the 28 days the dog then passes the temperament test, nothing else happens to the dog and it is free to be kept as any other dog would be under the act.

Edited by PPS

ive tried to pm tybrax on a previous occasion, but her pm service was turned off.

Ive since spoken to my cous, she has received the NOI, and the assessment is first thing tomorrow morning.

the temperment test shouldnt be a problem as he is such a happy friendly dog, so here's hoping its smooth sailing for them......

thanks again for info :rolleyes:

Edited by bustam

I cannot see why the assesors want to asess this "very maybe likely a scary type Pit Bull " dog in a public area, namely a Mcdonalds Restaurant car park, where there are families etc!

Isnt this a bit back to front if they dog may be a breed they decide must conform to laws etc.

Can someone please explain this part ??

J

Neutral ground is one thing, a busy restaurant car park is another.

I hope they do not intend carrying out the test in the car park, as that would be a total disregard of OHS and animal welfare. The test could not possibly be valid unless carried out in a controlled environment. I would refuse to get the dog out of the car until they had arranged an appropriate place for the test to be carried out.

It is common for breed assessors to meet in a public place such as a park etc. I would think that it is as much for their own safety as anything and also that these places are neutral ground for both the assessor, the dog and the owner.

Well thats is totally silly and they are waiting for someone to highlight this to help the breed ! IVY where are you!!

IF the so called dogs being assessed are so "Pit bully " and all the talk that surrounds these dogs , it would be plain common sense that for PUBLIC Safety it was not a good idea to meet in a PUBLIC Place frequented by families etc, a secure area should be needed .

This to me states the APBT is not really a danger to the public! Just another big rigmarole of rubbish I feel in the whole RB serenade!

Just my honest Opinion, seen to many APBT and crosses that are far to lovely to be labelled the way they are at times.

J

It is common for breed assessors to meet in a public place such as a park etc. I would think that it is as much for their own safety as anything and also that these places are neutral ground for both the assessor, the dog and the owner.

Well thats is totally silly and they are waiting for someone to highlight this to help the breed ! IVY where are you!!

IF the so called dogs being assessed are so "Pit bully " and all the talk that surrounds these dogs , it would be plain common sense that for PUBLIC Safety it was not a good idea to meet in a PUBLIC Place frequented by families etc, a secure area should be needed .

This to me states the APBT is not really a danger to the public! Just another big rigmarole of rubbish I feel in the whole RB serenade!

Just my honest Opinion, seen to many APBT and crosses that are far to lovely to be labelled the way they are at times.

J

l totally agree with you desexemall, like l said there no way l would be meeting at McDonalds or even a park.

tybrax

I hope they do not intend carrying out the test in the car park, as that would be a total disregard of OHS and animal welfare. The test could not possibly be valid unless carried out in a controlled environment. I would refuse to get the dog out of the car until they had arranged an appropriate place for the test to be carried out.

There is no "test" for a breed assessment. The breed assessment is visual , the temperament test is seperate to any breed ID and is not conducted at the same time.

You must first pass breed assessement, then book your temperament test.

After all this time people still don't get it.... A happy waggy tail in a public place that greats a breed assessor will more than likely pass. If you use your brain when booking a breed assessor you will book one that passes them on a regular basis.

There is no "test" for a breed assessment. The breed assessment is visual , the temperament test is seperate to any breed ID and is not conducted at the same time.

You must first pass breed assessement, then book your temperament test.

After all this time people still don't get it.... A happy waggy tail in a public place that greats a breed assessor will more than likely pass. If you use your brain when booking a breed assessor you will book one that passes them on a regular basis.

I for one do get it, I think some people may be a tad one eyed! Each to their own but the breed assesors are real;ly not practising what they are paid to assess and preach.

I think the point has been missed!

The whole point of a breed assmt is too IDENTIFY is it needs to go FURTHER!!

WHY risk ( what the Breed assmt managers) then later in some cases class as one of those very very "dangerous" APBT types. I mean its like meeting a Possible Child molesterer in a Maccas Car Park and I am sure that wouldnt happen! Well I know for a fact it doesnt happen!

J

The alternative in NSW is , if you have thousands to throw around, you could always opt to challenge council in court. For average Joe on a average wage that does not have the $ , the breed assessement and TT ( if required ) have been a successfull option for many.