bustam

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not take the dog anywhere near the children's play equipment

Dogs are not allowed within 500 metres of a playground

Call me paranoid, but could well be a trick to issue fines

Haha, whats the fine for that? I take my staffords to the kids park to play, they climb the stairs and slide down the slippery dip (im not kidding either).

And plus, the service dogs recruits are taken to childrens parks all the time so they can get used to the shapes and build their confidence up on the equipment without hurting themselves so if a bad man is hiding there, the dogs are not spooked. Are the rangers going to fine the services too? And these dogs are trained for protection, the most dangerous dogs in Aust... not the PBT

It's within 10 metres of a designated childrens play area, which means the usual swings, slides etc.

14 Dogs prohibited in some public places

(1) Dogs are prohibited in the following places (whether or not they are leashed or otherwise controlled):

(a) Children’s play areas (meaning any public place, or part of a public place, that is within 10 metres of any playing apparatus provided in that public place or part for the use of children).

Once you have been issued with an NOI , the clock is ticking

Edited by PPS

Ive a friend who's son just bought what he called an AmStaff puppy, said the parents are pedigree American Safford's, it sure looks very like photos of pit bull puppies ive seen?

remember spotting on an american kennel website one of their stud males was "dual registered Pit Bull and AmStaff"

are the AmStaffs also under the same restrictions. I notice they are a recognised ANK breed?

it would seem to me if he doesnt get limit register papers for it at the very least, he may end up in the same situation, ie being told his dog needs to be assessed to decide if its a pure or cross pb?

am i mistaken and it couldnt happen to him?

Edited by asal

If it's dual registered as an AKC Amstaff and then APBT on any other registry, it can only be an Amstaff :)

If it's dual registered on two two registries ( other than one being the AKC ) then it could be a Pit or an Amstaff BUT none of the other registries have any affiliation or recognition with the ANKC ( Australian Kennel Council ), so it would be considered a Pit Bull in NSW.

You must have ANKC papers or AKC papers in the case of an import to prove that you Amstaff is an Amstaff, otherwise it's breed ID or fight it out in court in NSW to prove otherwise

• 4 weeks later...

just thought id add an update of what happened in this particular case..

the breed assessment was indeed just visual, it was performed by a well known Registered breeder who took a look at the dog and confirmed the dog was at least part PB

so she was then referred on for a TT the following week, which was at sydney..another 3 hour drive (6 hour return)

so they went to that, walked out to the yard, within 2mins they bring out a huge german shephard being led, who is lunging from his lead barking and carrying on rather confrontationally at the dog being tested. my cousins dog started to growl...the assessor immediantly says "yes, this dogs agressive" its a dangerous dog..

book closed..all within a couple of minutes. they did not perform any other testing, (that the breed assessor happened to mention they would test ie. stranger danger, umbrella opening in dogs face etc) it was all over red rover.

they suggested that she desex the dog for starters and erect 60cm barriers along the top of their fencelines to prevent the possibility of them jumping out of yard...and this could lean in their favour of the impending restrictions that will be placed on the dog (I highly doubt it will change anything, but im glad she got him desexed anyways)

Edited by bustam

oh, I see holes in the court case already.

Recently had the head of local laws at our council complain to me that it was unbelievably difficult to get a restricted breed declaration approved if challenged in court - appratnely they had lost another case that week (YAY!)

Did you cousin choose who did the breed assessment ? did your cousin select themselves who they wanted to TT ?

Something else that doesn't add up, it that they were recommended to desex and extend the fences. Given that if the dog failed TT, it is now "restricted".

Recently had the head of local laws at our council complain to me that it was unbelievably difficult to get a restricted breed declaration approved if challenged in court - appratnely they had lost another case that week (YAY!)

Lappiemum, this is NSW and if you opt to a BA and TT, there is no avenue of appeal.

You can opt to challenge an NOI in court but not the findings of the BA or the TT

Did you cousin choose who did the breed assessment ? did your cousin select themselves who they wanted to TT ?

Something else that doesn't add up, it that they were recommended to desex and extend the fences. Given that if the dog failed TT, it is now "restricted".

thats what I mean, she told me thats what the TT assessor suggested to do, but I thought it would make no difference at all, it had already failed!? but I did not raise the issue as I have been trying to tell them for ever to desex the dog....

yes, she was given a list of assessors to choose, she chose the ones nearest to her for both assessments

just thought id add an update of what happened in this particular case..

the breed assessment was indeed just visual, it was performed by a well known Registered ******* breeder who took a look at the dog and confirmed the dog was at least part PB

so she was then referred on for a TT the following week, which was at ******** from memory at a veterinary clinic...another 3 hour drive (6 hour return)

so they went to that, walked out to the yard, within 2mins they bring out a huge german shephard being led, who is lunging from his lead barking and carrying on rather confrontationally at the dog being tested. my cousins dog started to growl...the assessor immediantly says "yes, this dogs agressive" its a dangerous dog..

book closed..all within a couple of minutes. they did not perform any other testing, (that the breed assessor happened to mention they would test ie. stranger danger, umbrella opening in dogs face etc) it was all over red rover.

they suggested that she desex the dog for starters and erect 60cm barriers along the top of their fencelines to prevent the possibility of them jumping out of yard...and this could lean in their favour of the impending restrictions that will be placed on the dog (I highly doubt it will change anything, but im glad she got him desexed anyways)

Part Pit bull.? how the heck?dangerous because it growled at a dog barking in its face, what the hell.

Sorry to read this.

edited quote by request of the OP to remove breed name and location

Edited by RebLT

Hows this

well known Registered ******* breeder who took a look at the dog and confirmed the dog was at least part PB
they might have read your thread.
my cousin (in nsw) has just been informed they have to meet with someone (im presuming from council?) for a 'breed assessemnt' on their PB.

edited quote by request of the OP to remove breed name

Edited by RebLT

Lappiemum, this is NSW and if you opt to a BA and TT, there is no avenue of appeal.

You can opt to challenge an NOI in court but not the findings of the BA or the TT

And I thought Vic was backwards....!

And I thought Vic was backwards....!

You can do one of three things in NSW if council suspects your dog to be of a resticted breed.

1. Accept what council tells you , which means your doing is subject to NOI and declared after 28 days

2. NOI, followed by the owner seeking a BA and TT during the 28 days

3 Appealing to council within the 7 days prior to the NOI being issued and then going to court if council still goes ahead with the NOI