Council 'breed Assessment'

bustam

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

as a council ranger i have been very concerned about the temperament testing. I have seen dogs that pass that should not have and others that should have. We have concerns about how it is being done. We are kept out of it, claiming that we have conflict or not the experience. There are a lot of people in my job that hate the current legislation as it is wrong but we have no choice but to enforce it.

BTW. please don't think of it as "council" breed assessment, we do not make the laws. The state government make the laws and they are the one that need to know that it doesn't work

it is 10 meters for kids playground and after 12 months you can revoke a dangerous dog declaration.

There are some lawyers out there that are taking on these cases and winning. If most people appealed the animal related fines issued by council they would win.

• 1 month later...
BL,

the drama here isnt disputing what they were advised, its the way in which dogs are being identified by persons who are not qualified to do so (amstaff people or not) and the ridiculousw way they are temperment tested... if everyone had to subject their dog in the same situation how many could honestly say their dog would pass?

Mate I’m disgusted that people I used to look up to, are the very people from within our breed that have the power to give your dog a death sentence. I have to say im gutted :wave:

BL,

the drama here isnt disputing what they were advised, its the way in which dogs are being identified by persons who are not qualified to do so (amstaff people or not) and the ridiculousw way they are temperment tested... if everyone had to subject their dog in the same situation how many could honestly say their dog would pass?

Mate I’m disgusted that people I used to look up to, are the very people from within our breed that have the power to give your dog a death sentence. I have to say im gutted :wave:

No one gives a dog a death sentence in NSW, unless the dog has been declared as a restricted breed and is seized for non compliance.

If your dog is found to be of a restricted breed at the time of breed assessment ( if you choose to go down that path , rather than fight NOI in court ) you must comply with the restrictions of muzzle, cage, lead etc. You are not forced to PTS your dog.

No one gives a dog a death sentence in NSW, unless the dog has been declared as a restricted breed and is seized for non compliance.

If your dog is found to be of a restricted breed at the time of breed assessment ( if you choose to go down that path , rather than fight NOI in court ) you must comply with the restrictions of muzzle, cage, lead etc. You are not forced to PTS your dog.

Not every one can afford to fight battles in court.

And would you like to keep your dog in a cage for the rest of its life not even being allowed to let it come in the house with you

And would you like to keep your dog in a cage for the rest of its life not even being allowed to let it come in the house with you

Dogs are allowed in the house. It's when in the yard they need to be enclosed in a run that meets specs.

Of course if you don't want to force your dog into this kind of life, DON'T BUY A DOG THAT CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS RESTRICTED.

The law isn't new. People need to either abide by the law or suffer the consequences (or more precisely have their dogs suffer them)

Dogs are allowed in the house. It's when in the yard they need to be enclosed in a run that meets specs.

Of course if you don't want to force your dog into this kind of life, DON'T BUY A DOG THAT CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS RESTRICTED.

The law isn't new. People need to either abide by the law or suffer the consequences (or more precisely have their dogs suffer them)

Just curios and this is hypothetical,

If poodles became restricted and you were made to comply with the rules that are in place now for restricted breed would you?

Just curios and this is hypothetical,

If poodles became restricted and you were made to comply with the rules that are in place now for restricted breed would you?

Dead easy as a hypothetical .. but yes. However I'd never buy another one to live under those laws. Living in fear of being found out and having the dog potentially seized would not be my idea of happy dog ownership.

You can own a pitbull in this country now and live with no restrictions. All you have to do is move. I'd do that to own a poodle. :thumbsup:

As far as I'm aware, In N.S.W they are not allowed In their own home :thumbsup:

The only time allowed out of their enclosure Is on lead and muzzled to go for a walk

Someone please correct me If I'm wrong

Id comply with the rules if Staffords become restricted.I couldnt handle having a restricted breed and being scared all the time that a neighbor or someone would dob me in that would be hell.And I wouldnt mind betting that dobbing will increase with all this media hype because more and more people are going to know about them and heaps of people are terrified of them even though most of them have never met one.Ive got a staffordx here and sometimes people cross the road to avoid her she loves people and looks more like a little lab than a pitbull but shes short and brown and stocky and thats enough.

Id move to keep my dog but then theres people who carnt move and they should comply if they want peace of mind otherwise theyll be living in fear of their dog being taken.I couldnt stand it myself

As far as I'm aware, In N.S.W they are not allowed In their own home :laugh:

The only time allowed out of their enclosure Is on lead and muzzled to go for a walk

No need to be corrected coz I don’t think you are wrong.

And be careful folks . this is a hypothetical, but stories like this happen every day. if you have a ridgeback x kelpie and it barks at someone who then complains to the local shire , who then brings a breed assessor to expertly identify your dog . the assessor is having a bad day or just doesn’t like you for some reason then bingo your dog is a dangerous one.

And be careful folks . this is a hypothetical, but stories like this happen every day. if you have a ridgeback x kelpie and it barks at someone who then complains to the local shire , who then brings a breed assessor to expertly identify your dog . the assessor is having a bad day or just doesn’t like you for some reason then bingo your dog is a dangerous one.

Which state are you talking about ? Because this is certainly not the case in NSW.

Restricted breeds and dangerous dogs are two seperate things in this state, you can have a dangerous dog that is not of a restricted breed.

Restricted breeds are allowed anywhere you like, providing you put the muzzle and leash on , whenever they are taken outside of the child proof enclosure.

Which state are you talking about ? Because this is certainly not the case in NSW.

Restricted breeds and dangerous dogs are two seperate things in this state, you can have a dangerous dog that is not of a restricted breed.

Restricted breeds are allowed anywhere you like, providing you put the muzzle and leash on , whenever they are taken outside of the child proof enclosure.

Better do some more homework SBT123

And no one said you can’t have a dangerous dog that is not of a restricted breed. Im not sure what your talking about there. All the breed assessor needs to do is say the dog is at least part restricted breed and if they say it showed aggression then it’s a dangerous one .

Better do some more homework SBT123

And no one said you can’t have a dangerous dog that is not of a restricted breed. Im not sure what your talking about there. All the breed assessor needs to do is say the dog is at least part restricted breed and if they say it showed aggression then it’s a dangerous one .

The "breed assessement " and " temperament assessemnt " in NSW are seperate from one another.

At NO point in time does an authorised breed assessor ever mark on their assessment sheet any details that relate to the dogs temperament. The purpose of the "breed assessement " is to determine if the dog or bitch is of a resticted breed or cross.

Breed assessment can only take place AFTER a Notice of Intent, has been issued to the dogs owner and providing the owner choose that option ( it's not the only one ).

A "temperament assessment" can only take place AFTER a dog or bitch has been found to be of a restricted breed cross by an authorised breed assessor and only then as part of the NOI process.

Again I refer to the state of New South Wales. You can read about the NOI process in the Companion Animals Act

;)

Edited by SBT123

SBT123, I’m not one of your little friends to share chit chat with. So unless it’s highly offensive of which we both know you can be, or it’s something very personal that may affect others. Please don’t PM me. If you have something important to say lets share this information with the forum. Your news could be very helpful to the topic

• 3 months later...
Any news if the pup passed BA ?

sorry for verrrry late reply, but for those interested, yes the dog did eventually pass the temp test (it was postponed for quite some time...) which was a huge relief for his owners..they were gutted to think he was possibly going to have to live out the rest of his life in a cage...

Any news if the pup passed BA ?

sorry for verrrry late reply, but for those interested, yes the dog did eventually pass the temp test (it was postponed for quite some time...) which was a huge relief for his owners..they were gutted to think he was possibly going to have to live out the rest of his life in a cage...

Awsome news.