Barf Diet And Its Effects On Bitches In Whelp

It has been suggested to me by a vet that a BARF or raw all natural diet is not really suitable for bitches in whelp due to the inability to accurately ascertain the calcium to phosphorus ratio which is critical in this situation therefore causing calcium deficiency and subsequent whelping difficulties.

In this situation the vet felt that it was better to feed a balanced dry dogfood.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with this.

It makes you wonder though how dogs/wolves managed to breed when they didn't have anyone to tell them what they should be eating. :)

For around 100 years most of our bitches have delivered strong litters of working dogs...on a diet of predominately raw bones/meat...it always confounded me-

In my memory- (around 50 years) there was only one case of eclampsia.......... it was nasty- but she survived.

No skeletal problems, delayed whelping or anything... and dogs all worked hard, and lived into their teens.

Edited by persephone

What do you feed to pregnant bitches - do you change their diet?

Nowdays we just have the odd litter- maybe one a year , or less.

if we need a new worker, or someone local wants a pup..

We usually don't change diet.. just feed slightly increased quantities.. don't want large pups clogging up the works :) ...depends on what the bitch looks like ..if she is putting everything into growing pups- then she gets more.I guess I do give them the bits with more fat on.., and mum usually adds some kitchen scraps...

We have Koolies.... just farm bred workers... and they are all fit & active........bitches work until just before whelping if they want to.

The bitch who had the eclampsia actually was one who survived distemper when she was a baby.... so she did well ! That may have been why she got eclampsia , too I guess.. it was about 30 yrs ago....

I have large litters (up to 10 pups) well above the average for the breed, and have no diet related issues, have been raw fed for 13 years now.

I increase offal , Carbs, add folic, rasberry leaf pre mating & throughout & reduce bone in the last trimester or so

Thanks for your replies.

Of course there are many ways of feeding raw - there is feeding BARF and there is feeding a prey diet and there is feeding VAN, etc.

Can you give me an example of what you actually feed successfully to pregnant bitches?

I feed my girls my normal diet initially, that being raw chicken carcases, necks, wings, various minces, occassional fruit/veg, lamb ribs, mackeral/sardines, table scraps, offal, eggs..........I feed once a day. I add folic acid before they come into season & right through the pregnancy....rasberry leaf also.

About half way they can go off food (morning sickness) I do not force feed them, I decrease the bone content, and feed softer diet, and increase offal from then on, when appetite increases again, they get a chicken neck with a soft meal, I add oats or brown rice as carbohydrate in the last trimester. If my girls are huge they get two or more small meals a day, instead of one big one.

Thanks for that.

I have given Raspberry leaf in the form of capsules before but never given folic acid.

Can you tell me what dose do you give of Raspberry leaf - do you give it the whole time or just for the second & third trimester?

and where do you get folic acid?

Folic should be given prior to the bitch coming in season, and throughout the pregnancy, it helps prevent midline failures & promotes max brain function in pups..........if you forget to give it just start it asap. Chemist, health food shop , supermarket stock such supplements. Rasberry Leaf I give tablet form, half a tab a day (Natures own brand), can be given all through the pregnancy & afterwards whelping also.

Some supplements & natural remedies are harmful, so always research all before adminstering, an example of this is Cod Liver Oil.......it should NEVER be given to a bitch in whelp, it causes birth defects/abortion.