Stressed Puppy (separation Anxiety)

shad

I'm trying to train our 8w puppy to be happy by herself. Her area has toys and chew toys and her crate which she loves. but when i move out of sight she will cry and cry and there's always some runny poo when i get back. her crying is a lot less now... i'm slowing increasing the amount of time i leave her.

when she sleeps in her crate in my room at night, she will stir and I will take her out to toilet and then her poo is fine.

is this something she will get over? I haven't changed her diet. but have been giving her some chicken as treats and peanut butter in her kong.

just had a thought... could she be peeing on her poo and therefore it just looks runny when i see it?

thx

it could be the peanut butter causing her runny poo or just being upset. Chicken necks can keep her busy (depending on breed size) or turkey necks, wings etc

at 8 weeks its not separation anxiety, give your pup more time to settle in and the crying will stop. Be strong! Its hard to resist those puppy eyes I know :)

the peanut butter is for her kong... which i use to give her some of her breakfast.

as soon as she finishes it tho and realises we're gone she starts to cry. when she gives up she usually just goes to sleep. I would've thought she'd try playing with her toys?

thanks for the suggestions... i've bought some chicken wings but haven't given her any yet. I'll give her one after her dinner tonight.

peanut butter doesn't agree with my pup either.

what kind of pup do you have? and pics please? :)

i had a sooky pup too... it gets better, when they get more comfortable with their surroundings.

Hi Shad

I know Kirri is only a few days 'in' to her new home and adventure.

Archie cried generally for the first 4 or 5 days - cried when he wasn't with us, cried when he was with us, cried a little a night (although not too much thankfully), just seemed a bit sad and lonely out in the big wide world without mummy and littermates.

He was fine after about 5 days and still sooks a little bit now and then for various reasons but as they grow in confidence with their new surroundings, as charleswentworth says .... it will start to go.

Runny poo here and there is quite normal too when they move - if it stays, you can try a bit of boiled rice with the food.

Just as a matter of interest, do you feed chicken necks or wings ? I'm a bit paranoid that Arch will gulp his down, their gullets are quite big considering they're only babies; he gets his whole mouth around one end of the chicken wing and I swear he'll try and gulp it down, so I've actually taken it off him a couple of times.

I haven't tried necks but my last lab pups swallowed one whole and I was petrified it would get stuck somewhere so didn't feed them again (he was fine)

She is a baby- and wants her mum.

simple.

Not separation anxiety.....that is a whole different thing!

Not being 'naughty' ( in dog terms, anyway)

Just being a baby, who is now suddenly alone for the first time in her life...and who is showing her distress in the only way she can.

Does she have a good training/play session before you leave her?

Toilet opportunity?

Do you fuss over her when you leave? (if you do...then STOP :) )

feed/play/toilet...

then a treat such as a chicken wing or turkey neck..

make sure she has a nice warm bed (maybe even a heating source)

just say- bed time now..or whatever..no cuddles etc.. put her in- give her treat..and walk away,don't look back :rofl:

i had a sooky pup too... it gets better, when they get more comfortable with their surroundings.

Does it? My boy still cries- when i leave the room :rofl:

(Just him being a sook though, he's not really distressed. He'll cry when he can't find the cat too :) )

Puppy crying is awful though. At 8 weeks everything is still unfamiliar and new. It could be that causing the runny poop, or the stress of being alone.

Give the pup time to get used to her own company. Stuffed Kongs are good for keeping them busy (maybe minus the peanut butter). Pigs ears are also good value at that age as it takes them ages to eat.

Get her used to her area where you want her to stay with you there so that she is more comfortable being left alone. Also feed her and play with her in this space, helps the pup associate it with 'good' things.

People say yes she is a puppy, but if you baby her now, she will always do it for the rest of her life. Trust me my boys is 2.5 years and if he is left alone the neighbours will hear him scream.

Our newest dog is 16 weeks and is crate trained and he doesn't care about being left alone even if I take all the dogs away, he would still play alone or sunbake.

But our newest bitch is 12 weeks and she screams like crazy.... So i am crate training her whilst I am home with a the crate totally covered so she feels safe like a den with no toys and she is starting to come around. I let her out about 20mins after she shuts up.

It will get better, I know at this point you probably feel horrible and the crying pulls at your heartstrings.

I made the mistake of staying home and 'testing out' whether my pup cried initially.. of course she did! I lay in bed listening and ended up crying cos it was so stressful on me. Try to remember to stay calm and be confident as you walk out of the room, give her the kong, and walk out.

I was sure my pup would NEVER stop crying, she cried so bad in the first 7-10 days. But amazingly enough it did get better, to be honest I don't know if she cries when we are at work but I assume not, as she awaits her morning kong with excitement, and sees us closing and locking the door and saying bye, and she couldnt care LESS cos she has her kong with peanut butter :rofl:

I had my mum come feed/check on her @ lunchtimes every day for the first 5 weeks, she said in the first week she would park the car and hear her crying, but from then on she never ever heard crying, she said she was always quiet, and would only start whining/jumping on the door when she would hear mum come inside (which is normal).

So yes it will improve :cry: Although I remember at the time, thinking, there is NO WAY this is going to get better!! What am I going to do!! I thought I had made the wrong decision getting a pup while working fulltime, but stay strong, it can be done :o

what kind of pup do you have? and pics please? :cry:

Kirri is a lab. here's a photo of her playing with her new ball.

hmm... if i remove the peanut butter... and suggestions on what I can use the keep the kibble from falling out of the kong? :rofl:

post-28688-1245072559_thumb.jpg

Just as a matter of interest, do you feed chicken necks or wings ? I'm a bit paranoid that Arch will gulp his down, their gullets are quite big considering they're only babies; he gets his whole mouth around one end of the chicken wing and I swear he'll try and gulp it down, so I've actually taken it off him a couple of times.

I haven't tried necks but my last lab pups swallowed one whole and I was petrified it would get stuck somewhere so didn't feed them again (he was fine)

I gave her her first chicken wing tonight. she chewed it quite a bit ... didn't really try to swallow it whole or anything... i was a bit scared too so I stayed with her while she ate it. bones and all :cry:

The first time i tried to take it off her she growled at me ! :rofl: then she kept running away with her chicken when i tried to take it off her. I always gave it back to her... just trying to get her used to people messing her food and not becoming over protective. did you have a similar reaction at all?

what kind of pup do you have? and pics please? :cry:

Kirri is a lab. here's a photo of her playing with her new ball.

hmm... if i remove the peanut butter... and suggestions on what I can use the keep the kibble from falling out of the kong? :rofl:

I stuff the end with a piece of meat like off cut from lamb bone or I freeze yoghurt at the end.

I gave her her first chicken wing tonight. she chewed it quite a bit ... didn't really try to swallow it whole or anything... i was a bit scared too so I stayed with her while she ate it. bones and all :cry:

The first time i tried to take it off her she growled at me ! :rofl: then she kept running away with her chicken when i tried to take it off her. I always gave it back to her... just trying to get her used to people messing her food and not becoming over protective. did you have a similar reaction at all?

I give Mason chicken necks, i cut them in half and then watch him eat a piece at a time, he enjoys them.

The first time i tried to take it off her she growled at me ! confused.gif then she kept running away with her chicken when i tried to take it off her.

Ok.

This is not unusual..this is what dogs do with food....

but, for human society

It is also NOT acceptable..or cute..or 'a phase'

may I strongly suggest that you start on THIS as soon as possible- make sure pup is used t collar and lead , and begin.

Until then... whenever you feed her..make her sit beforehand....please do not take her food away, and give it back...take away and give back... this is teasing, IMO.

You can start 'taking' toys etc, first... when she has something in her mouth, get a happy voice, and ask what she has..and tell her how good she is.

If she comes to you with teh object..pat her, , say "give" ,(I use "gimmee", as it can be said with a smile)..and gently remove the toy. You can offer her a tiny treat, if you want, as 'swap' Admire the toy, and tell her just how wonderful she is...

get her to sit..and when she does-give toy straight back.

Once only each time.

All this should only take a minute.....

Do it a few times a day..........

it is a pleasant thing.... she is basking in your praise for a) carrying something b) coming to SHOW you ,and c) giving up an object :cry:

Do NOT run after her... it gives her the power- as she can pretty well always elude you!! It becomes a game of power....... and by the time you do catch her- she is ready to defend her prize :rofl:

I do it with our puppies when they can't run very well... when they are babies... and continue... so most of our dogs will willingly give up even a bone or piece of stolen meat.

I am too old and fat to be chasing dogs around, retrieving dangerous or stolen items :o

Edited by persephone

The first time i tried to take it off her she growled at me ! confused.gif then she kept running away with her chicken when i tried to take it off her.

Ok.

This is not unusual..this is what dogs do with food....

but, for human society

It is also NOT acceptable..or cute..or 'a phase'

may I strongly suggest that you start on THIS as soon as possible- make sure pup is used t collar and lead , and begin.

Until then... whenever you feed her..make her sit beforehand....please do not take her food away, and give it back...take away and give back... this is teasing, IMO.

You can start 'taking' toys etc, first... when she has something in her mouth, get a happy voice, and ask what she has..and tell her how good she is.

If she comes to you with teh object..pat her, , say "give" ,(I use "gimmee", as it can be said with a smile)..and gently remove the toy. You can offer her a tiny treat, if you want, as 'swap' Admire the toy, and tell her just how wonderful she is...

get her to sit..and when she does-give toy straight back.

Once only each time.

All this should only take a minute.....

Do it a few times a day..........

it is a pleasant thing.... she is basking in your praise for a) carrying something b) coming to SHOW you ,and c) giving up an object :thumbsup:

Do NOT run after her... it gives her the power- as she can pretty well always elude you!! It becomes a game of power....... and by the time you do catch her- she is ready to defend her prize :)

I do it with our puppies when they can't run very well... when they are babies... and continue... so most of our dogs will willingly give up even a bone or piece of stolen meat.

I am too old and fat to be chasing dogs around, retrieving dangerous or stolen items :laugh:

yeh i do it with her toys and mostly she is happy to give. i usually offer her food in exchange.

also make her sit everytime before i give her any food. think i'll cut down on the take and give... just concerned that she will end up always running away with stuff chicken wings.

hmm... if i remove the peanut butter... and suggestions on what I can use the keep the kibble from falling out of the kong? :)

Cheese spread, cream cheese, honey or KONG puppy paste smeared around the inside of the Kong will make some of the kibble 'stick'. You can also stuff a piece of dried liver treat into the small hole at the top to keep the puppy interested.

Mixing the Kibble with yogurt works well too, makes it harder to get out and if it's still too easy you can freeze it.

I gave her her first chicken wing tonight. she chewed it quite a bit ... didn't really try to swallow it whole or anything... i was a bit scared too so I stayed with her while she ate it. bones and all :laugh:

The first time i tried to take it off her she growled at me ! :thumbsup: then she kept running away with her chicken when i tried to take it off her. I always gave it back to her... just trying to get her used to people messing her food and not becoming over protective. did you have a similar reaction at all?

Persephone has given you some good advice on this one.

Your pup doesn't know that you will give her bone back or not. If she thinks that you are going to take her prize possesion away from her she will run away!

Practice with toys first and then try with food later on. Make sure that if you do take her bone away that you have something to 'swap' it for while you are admiring the bone, eg. a liver treat, and then give the bone straight back.

Another way to increase the puppy's confidence is to walk past her while she is having her bone. Don't pay any attention, just walk past her or sit near her (not too close though) while she eats. When she is confident with that then you can slowly work your way up to giving her a quick pat and walking off. Eventually build it up so that you can touch her food before you try to take it from her. Once your puppy understands that you are not a threat to her food she will be less protective.

I did this with my dog and can now take food out of his mouth without protest. That said, I would NEVER let anyone else attempt it and do not allow children around him while he has a bone.

TOT is a good idea. It will help your dog to build respect for you as the leader of the 'pack'.

hmm... if i remove the peanut butter... and suggestions on what I can use the keep the kibble from falling out of the kong? :)

Cheese spread, cream cheese, honey or KONG puppy paste smeared around the inside of the Kong will make some of the kibble 'stick'. You can also stuff a piece of dried liver treat into the small hole at the top to keep the puppy interested.

Mixing the Kibble with yogurt works well too, makes it harder to get out and if it's still too easy you can freeze it.

I gave her her first chicken wing tonight. she chewed it quite a bit ... didn't really try to swallow it whole or anything... i was a bit scared too so I stayed with her while she ate it. bones and all :laugh:

The first time i tried to take it off her she growled at me ! :thumbsup: then she kept running away with her chicken when i tried to take it off her. I always gave it back to her... just trying to get her used to people messing her food and not becoming over protective. did you have a similar reaction at all?

Persephone has given you some good advice on this one.

Your pup doesn't know that you will give her bone back or not. If she thinks that you are going to take her prize possesion away from her she will run away!

Practice with toys first and then try with food later on. Make sure that if you do take her bone away that you have something to 'swap' it for while you are admiring the bone, eg. a liver treat, and then give the bone straight back.

Another way to increase the puppy's confidence is to walk past her while she is having her bone. Don't pay any attention, just walk past her or sit near her (not too close though) while she eats. When she is confident with that then you can slowly work your way up to giving her a quick pat and walking off. Eventually build it up so that you can touch her food before you try to take it from her. Once your puppy understands that you are not a threat to her food she will be less protective.

I did this with my dog and can now take food out of his mouth without protest. That said, I would NEVER let anyone else attempt it and do not allow children around him while he has a bone.

TOT is a good idea. It will help your dog to build respect for you as the leader of the 'pack'.

Thanks. the walking past her and sitting near her to begin with sound like great ideas. I will start that.

I've also done a bit of TOT with her dinner and will continue to do so.