Before And After

Luke W

Post-processing came up in another thread, I offered to post some before and afters and there was some interest.

So here we go.

These are a few of the shots I've posted over the last couple of days.

The first shot is straight out of the camera with the default RAW settings. White balance as shot (generally 'cloudy' I think).

The second shot is the finished JPG as posted.

In most cases the changes are:

Add a vignette, some soft focus effect, curves and exposure changes to selectively brighten and darken, selective sharpening, white balance warming (or cooling in the reflection shot), cropping, some lightning of eyes, ummm....that's about it.

Most of the work is done in the RAW processor and the final touches are done in Photoshop.

I use Photoshop CS4.

What's common about all the shots? Good lighting - overcast, minimal shadows. Sun is the enemy. Oh and a small DOF and unobstrusive backgrounds.

Anyway - here's the before and after shots.

Happy to try to answer any questions.

ba1.jpg

ba2.jpg

ba3.jpg

ba4.jpg

ba5.jpg

ba6.jpg

Oh - PS - it helps that Barkly has a fairly solid stay (sit, stand and down) and that I can get him to change position from a distance.

For the bridge shots, I got him in position, told him to wait then I moved off the bridge to my position.

I started with him in a stand, took a few shots, told him to sit, took a few shots then told him to drop and took a few more shots. He's a good boy :laugh:

Brave boy Luke - the purists may want to kill you now :)

The same ones who use polarizers and ND grads?

Soft boxes and beauty dishes?

Or let the camera adjust contrast and apply gamma adjustments?

Dodge and burn in the darkroom?

Or crop just so?

Let them come!

:(

Guest Tess32
Brave boy Luke - the purists may want to kill you now :)

The same ones who use polarizers and ND grads?

Soft boxes and beauty dishes?

Or let the camera adjust contrast and apply gamma adjustments?

Dodge and burn in the darkroom?

Or crop just so?

Let them come!

:)

Shush now, none of that is the same as the P word :( Definitely not, not the same at all....no, once it's on a computer, it's 'different' :(

I wouldnt have a clue how to manipulate the photos in Photoshop and I always admire what some people can do.

but....

I actually like some of your original photos more then the finished products.

Does this make me a purist?

I wouldnt have a clue how to manipulate the photos in Photoshop and I always admire what some people can do.

but....

I don't think it makes you a 'purist' you just have different tastes to me :)

Which originals do you like better (and why) ? I'm curious.

I can see how some people might think I go overboard on the post-processing - sometimes I think that myself!

Guest Tess32

but....

Purists usually argue that photoshopped images aren't 'real photography', or the photo is only good because it's photoshopped.

Being a purist isn't bad, it's just that so many of them on online photo forums tend to be snobs and give the rest a bad name.

On the other side, there are some pretty crap over-photoshopped stuff from people with time but not taste, so it evens out.

Cool photos Luke anyway - I like the warmth of the final versions.

It's personal taste, monelite. Some people who take photos don't want to give away their editing secrets, the fact that LukeW doesn't mind sharing them is pretty selfless, IMO.

How you edit a shot is personal taste too. I like to shoot in raw, make adjustments there and, shock horror as I've been called a purist before (you know who you are :):( ) I may use a layer mask or darken a background. Sometimes I like a shot how I took it if the light is nice - for example, I found on a tropical island at the height of the day the bright sun combined with a polariser is ideal for blue skies and blue water - and you don't need to do much with it, post production. If the light is crap, it's harder so you might want to fiddle more.

I have noticed that the Canon 70-200 L f/4 seems to 'throw' green and yellow tones in sunny conditions. Has anyone else noticed that? I find I need to adjust the tint a bit on sunny days or the shots are too warm.

Edited by Ripley