Siberian Husky

Troy

Honeybear, some people just aren't cut out to own a Sibe! Obviously they're not your dog of choice and that's cool, but don't go dishing the breed to those who love and adore them. It only gets people's backs up!

I can understand when people are only used to having a 'normal' dog such as a labrador why they find it difficult to adjust to a Sibe. It is a completely different world and a Sibe is not a 'normal' dog but that is why they appeal to me :cry:

:rainbowbridge:

I wouldn't own any other breed. :hug:

I have also seen some very headstrong Labs. :hug:

Please, please don't think I am dishing it out on these dogs I am perplexed as to why people would chose this sort of dog.I normally love and adore dogs that is why I said I would care for this one and i am proud of myself in a weird sort of way that i have almost survived it! I know how some dogs appeal to some people and not others just wondering what all you "sibes" people get out of it. I should have tried to put him in a harness but I am not that young fit or strong . Please don't be insulted - obviously I am just one of those people who do not want a high maintenance dog.

Honeybear, some people just aren't cut out to own a Sibe! Obviously they're not your dog of choice and that's cool, but don't go dishing the breed to those who love and adore them. It only gets people's backs up!

I can understand when people are only used to having a 'normal' dog such as a labrador why they find it difficult to adjust to a Sibe. It is a completely different world and a Sibe is not a 'normal' dog but that is why they appeal to me :cry:

I wouldn't own any other breed. :hug:

I have also seen some very headstrong Labs. :hug:

Please, please don't think I am dishing it out on these dogs I am perplexed as to why people would chose this sort of dog.I normally love and adore dogs that is why I said I would care for this one and i am proud of myself in a weird sort of way that i have almost survived it! I know how some dogs appeal to some people and not others just wondering what all you "sibes" people get out of it. I should have tried to put him in a harness but I am not that young fit or strong . Please don't be insulted - obviously I am just one of those people who do not want a high maintenance dog.

Thankyou Silverhaze for your understanding comments I do assure you that we are kind to the dog and do our best to keep him happy

I do assure you that we are kind to the dog and do our best to keep him happy

As said earlier the are not the dog for everyone, but to me all the things that make them the dog they are is what

I love about them. If you ever get the chance read some of the Iditarod stories, or even about the serum run you should.

People rely on the independent nature of these dogs and their ability to give all they have.

Sometimes their life may depend on it.

I think knowing the background of any breed makes you understand the behaviour a little better. :hug:

I do assure you that we are kind to the dog and do our best to keep him happy

As said earlier the are not the dog for everyone, but to me all the things that make them the dog they are is what

I love about them. If you ever get the chance read some of the Iditarod stories, or even about the serum run you should.

People rely on the independent nature of these dogs and their ability to give all they have.

Sometimes their life may depend on it.

I think knowing the background of any breed makes you understand the behaviour a little better. :hug:

I feel ashamed of myself now! Sorry all you Sibe lovers. It is obvious that he is in the wrong place and that he would be perfectly fine if he was with people who could take him sledding and had those " massive runs" you have mentioned. Just wondering (and then I will finish whinging!) do you think he will know his owner when he comes home? because I look forward to witnessing the reunion if he does. I wonder because we looked after our son's beloved cattle dog when he was away o/s for 12 months and although she waited out on the driveway for months for him she did not seem to recognise him when he returned.( Yes we kept her!)

Having rescued an adult siberian, I know they're not the easiest dog to get to know. The things you don't like about the sibe you're looking after honeybear are part of owning a sibe - he will definitely know his owner when they return and it wouldn't surprise me if the owner gets a huge bouncy hello from the dog. I know with my sibe, I get one every afternoon because he is bonded to me (and vise versa!). Sibes choose their people - unlike other breeds, they don't feel the need to have a connection with everyone and you can't push them to be your friend. You either are or you aren't.

It is not all sibes that you cannot let off leash - Zero and i train all the time with him off leash at a local park. He's about to start competing in obedience so we're training off leash the majority of the time. That being said, it's about how you go about training it. It's taken 3 years of training with Zero and even then, sometimes he will give me a look that is pretty much the equivalent of him giving me the finger - those are the days I know I'm not letting him off lead. I also don't just let him go for a run at the park - off leash time is strictly controlled when I know he will come back when called. :laugh:

Their breed traits are what makes them special and they are so very very worth it - after having Zero, I don't think I could ever be without a sibe. The work you put into them comes back to you 10 fold.

I don't find my Siberian high maintenance at all, apart from the shedding thing.

We have a fully fenced yard so there is never any worry about him getting out or escaping.

He's SO calm and gentle, if I let him inside he just wants to sit with us and he'll happily lie with me in the lounge room for hours. If he wants my attention he'll get up and put his head on my lap and look up at me :laugh: He's quite food and prey driven so is relatively easy to train. He's energetic but I like to have a dog that requires exercise, although I must admit I have been very slack lately and he is not walked every day at the moment.

He honestly has the best temperament, he's easy to live with as he's happy to spend time on his own or with our other dogs. He's can be cheeky but I find that endearing. He's super smart and would spend the vast majority of his day sleeping/lying around :rofl: Life is never boring with a Sibe and I love that :o

I don't find my Siberian high maintenance at all, apart from the shedding thing.

We have a fully fenced yard so there is never any worry about him getting out or escaping.

He's SO calm and gentle, if I let him inside he just wants to sit with us and he'll happily lie with me in the lounge room for hours. If he wants my attention he'll get up and put his head on my lap and look up at me :laugh: He's quite food and prey driven so is relatively easy to train. He's energetic but I like to have a dog that requires exercise, although I must admit I have been very slack lately and he is not walked every day at the moment.

He honestly has the best temperament, he's easy to live with as he's happy to spend time on his own or with our other dogs. He's can be cheeky but I find that endearing. He's super smart and would spend the vast majority of his day sleeping/lying around :) Life is never boring with a Sibe and I love that :mad

Thanks your dog sounds divine. I have had so many hits and near misses with this dog that I am a bit over it all but I am sure that in different circumstances he would be a lovely dog. He does have endearing habits like head on the knee and singing to me and playfulness but sadly his bad habits outweigh these in my opninion.

I feel ashamed of myself now! Sorry all you Sibe lovers. It is obvious that he is in the wrong place and that he would be perfectly fine if he was with people who could take him sledding and had those " massive runs" you have mentioned. Just wondering (and then I will finish whinging!) do you think he will know his owner when he comes home? because I look forward to witnessing the reunion if he does.

Siberians are very adaptable, many rehomed dogs just settle into their new enviroment.

Mine don't go on massive runs, we social sled in the winter and we walk everyday.

They have each other for company and zoomies through the house at times. :laugh:

Again if you go back to the origins of these dogs, they lived quite a nomadic life and also strangers like fur traders

coming into the villages. This is why they are not great watch dogs.

As for missing owners, I think we like to give our dogs human traits, I would hope mine would be excited to see me

if I left them for a long period of time.

Let us know the result.

Thanks your dog sounds divine. I have had so many hits and near misses with this dog that I am a bit over it all but I am sure that in different circumstances he would be a lovely dog. He does have endearing habits like head on the knee and singing to me and playfulness but sadly his bad habits outweigh these in my opninion.

I honestly find my beagle waaaaay higher maintenance :laugh:

My sibe gives me a very excited bouncy hello when I get home, doesn't matter if I've been out for 10 minutes or 10 hours the greeting is the same, sometimes he's up for a play but most of the time he's happy to say hello and go back to his spot on the lounge :o

I guess what you find as a hardship, i find as normal, and part of being a responsible owner. It's unfortuante that you obviously don't have a fenced in house yard, and there fore have to watch that doors are shut at all times etc...

I'm glad he's getting to go on big long walks - he shuld be enjoying that. The dog isn't suffering from the sounds of it, it's just that your having a hard time dealing with his special requirements.

There are many many breeds in this world that can't be trusted to just "hang around". Siberian Huskies just happen to be one of them.

I agree. I have several sibes, all pets. I have never had trouble with them escaping, maybe because theyre just happy to be in their pack, I dont know. I think theyre a wonderful breed. I have owned them for 10+ years now and wouldnt want any other dog. Yes, you have to make sure doors and gates are shut, but again like Silverhaze has said, it comes down to responsible ownership.

I don't find my Sibes high maintenance - and I have 10 of them ;)

Huh? I thought you had alaskans???

:):(:rofl: :D ;)

Oops, sorry Nana. What was I thinking :p Yes, that's right, some people will argue the point that my Sibes are not Sibes! Damn their short coats and long legs :p

• 1 month later...

hey,

i have a 4 yr old husky male, which i brought from melb being told he was 2 1/2.

he is a beautiful male which i show but he talks so much. iv had him for 4 months now and my female samoyed is in heat. unfortunately i dont have a dog run so i keep my bitch inside. he constantly howls and whines when i take her away from him even when shes not in heat (but its worse when shes in heat).

iv tried everything to calm him down but he continues to howl and the neighbours get very mad.

is their any thing i can try to make him more dependant, as my samoyed was as happy as anything being alone. he also cant be tied up and left alone as he continually barks and whines.

any ideas is much appreciated.

also he is an extremly slow eater and is very picky and underweight. i have him on eaglepak and have found that he will eat pasta mixed with raw mince and vegies, but raw mince is so expensive just for a dog. he wont eat bones unless my samoyed is with him and hasnt eaten a great deal since shes in heat any other suggestions?

thanks

Hey Ruski,

It might be a good Idea to post this your predicament in the behaviour and training section.

This thread is meant to be just to inform people about huskies as a breed.

You'll find an answer faster posting this in another section :laugh: