My Dogs Have Kennel Cough

Well my two C5 vaccinated dogs have got kennel cough, Tyson and my old fella, Little Dude are both coughing like mad and little dude is throwing up every now and then.

They've been to the vet, have their medication and I've got them dressed in their jumpers and both dogs are separated from the others.

Brodie and Kyra seem fine and don't have any symptoms, hopefully it stays that way as today i had to fork out...

2 x vet consults - $105

2 x lots of medicine $65 each

for them both to be treated

Is there anything else i can do to help ease their discomfort? I was quite disappointed to hear that the C5 doesn't cover kennel cough completely, the vet we went to in Perth said dogs are fully covered by the vaccine, i was told today theres around 8 different kinds of kennel cough that they don't have a needle for yet.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my two C5 vaccinated dogs have got kennel cough, Tyson and my old fella, Little Dude are both coughing like mad and little dude is throwing up every now and then.

They've been to the vet, have their medication and I've got them dressed in their jumpers and both dogs are separated from the others.

Brodie and Kyra seem fine and don't have any symptoms, hopefully it stays that way as today i had to fork out...

2 x vet consults - $105

Is there anything else i can do to help ease their discomfort? I was quite disappointed to hear that the C5 doesn't cover kennel cough completely, the vet we went to in Perth said dogs are fully covered by the vaccine, i was told today theres around 8 different kinds of kennel cough that they don't have a needle for yet.

That is terrible, hope they get well soon!

2 x vet consults - $105

Did the vet put them on antibiotics because they have an infection along with the kennel cough. Unless they are very old or very young dogs usually they will get over kennel cough. Yes, just because they have been vaccinated doesnt mean to say that they are immune as there are different strains. Hopefully your other dogs wont get it as well.

Gosh two vet consults. They know how to sting you.

edited to add hope they come through fine

Edited by stonebridge

Gosh two vet consults. They know how to sting you.

edited to add hope they come through fine

and anti bios!!

I have only taken my dogs to the vets for CC once, that was when kaos lost a heap of weight and couldnt keep food down. the other few times i just let them go, they get over it :laugh:

Hope your guys are feeling better

oh, i also kept kaos with Atlas when only she got it, figure if he was going to get it, he is going to get it, so didnt owrry about it!

2 x vet consults - $105

More so to help ease your discomfort, your vet should have mentioned to try avoiding going between your infected dogs and any other dogs that you may have or your friends and family have.

Disinfect everything. F10 is usually a good start or bleach, including the soles of your shoes especially when entering and leaving kennel blocks. The last thing you need is more veterinary bills.

BTW: You mention them both having C5 vaccinations. Any ideas of how they contracted? It just may help in looking at ways to prevent in future.

Thanks for the advice :laugh:

BTW: You mention them both having C5 vaccinations. Any ideas of how they contracted? It just may help in looking at ways to prevent in future.

We have just moved from Perth to the middle of nowhere on an acerage so most likely got it from here or the river a few k's away that we've been taking them to.

Disinfect everything. F10 is usually a good start or bleach, including the soles of your shoes especially when entering and leaving kennel blocks. The last thing you need is more veterinary bills.

Have done, we used MYO hospital grade disinfectant & a bit of bleach as that's all we have at the moment.

2 x vet consults - $105

I'm so sorry your dogs aren't well and hope that they recover soon without infecting the others.

When my dogs got kennel cough a few years back the only one that didn't get it was the one that was not vaccinaited. I was thankful that he didn't though as he is old and has heart problems. When the other dogs got it I treated them with Apple Cidar Vinegar and also dosed the one not displaying any symptoms. The second dog to get it showed alot less symptoms than the first dog and the other didn't get it at all so perhaps the ACV did help.

The reason I tried the ACV is that it has stopped me from getting a fully fledged cold for many years as it breaks down the phlem (sp*) and I figured as the first dog was coughing up abit of phlem that it might help them too. I do think it helped, but that is only my opintion as I have never had cause to test it again.

The very reason I never vaccinate against it!

Ester C tablets twice a day, and honey & crushed garlic 4-6 times a day.....

If they are off their food, make a chicken broth to lap at.

Don't know anything about giving honey to dogs, but we all have a cold and sore throats in my house and I give my kids the Manuka honey (there are a few brands of it in the supermarket) it's supposed to be the best for antibactirial, so helps with sore and infected throats. It's also good to put on any wounds to prevent infection, but I suppose only if you cover them or the dog would lick it off.

Get the ACTIVE Manuka Honey - but not the stuff from supermarkets as they sell only the low "active" factor (+5). Get it from the Health Food Shop. Try to get the highest UMF (which I think is around +35) if you can. The more "active" it is, the better healing and immune support qualities it has. Expect it to be pricey. I swear by it for more than just this reason.

Did the Vet give antibiotics because your dogs have got a secondary infection? If they don't, the antibiotics won't do anything as they can't treat a virus.

Like for us if we have the flu - keep your dogs warm and draft free; keep them a bit quiet; make sure they keep hydrated. A bit of the AMH in a small amount of water every so often throughout their convalescence will help with this. Otherwise, feed it to them from a teaspoon. They'll love it.

Edited by Erny

OT - My dog doesn't like honey - she turns her nose up at it! Maybe because she's allergic to bees!!! (I know there shouldn't be a correllation between the two, she just won't go near the honey. Wish she'd stay away from bees)

Sorry to hear your pups are not well. I was about to post the same thing as Ernie, with regards to the antibiotics. usually they only perscribe AB's if there is a secondary infection, if there isnt your giving them the AB's for no reason. Usually CC clears up on its own. A few months back 2 of mine had it I kept them quiet for a few days and I didnt seperate them from the other 2 and they didnt catch it.

I cant believe the cost of the vets. If I take two of mine together they give me a discounted price on the consult so instead of charging me 2 consult fees they charge me around 1 and 1/2. They certainly get at you with the cost!!

Edited by tlc

Disinfecting things won't help dogs spreading an virus that's passed on by droplet infection. It would be no more effective than disinfecting the seats on a train full of flu-laden commuters.

I wouldn't even bother seperating them - they will have already been in contact with it during the incubation period.

Unless my dogs show signs of secondary infection I wouldn't even take them to the vet with KC. I've used homeopathic drosera and benadryl. I've been through several cases of KC amongst my dogs and rescue dogs and had good results in keeping them reasonably comfortable. It's a self limiting virus, just like the common cold.

Like Erny said - keep them quiet as they will cough more when excited or running around. They will probably have a cough reaction that goes on for a few weeks that you'll see when they pull on their lead. That can take some time to clear up but isn't serious.