Puppy With Worms

I was just been told about a situation with a 13 week old GSD pup - they are about a week younger then my boy who is 15.4kg.

There are 2 pups from the same litter (different owners) - one pup is about 14.5kg while the other is about 6.5kg!!!! :confused: We believe the owner of the 6.5kg pup hasn't wormed his pup since he got him ... (when they guys found out about it last night they were furious and will be doing something about it today). It wasn't that the guy was "neglecting" or "mistreating" the pup as such - he just had no idea about worming and couldn't understand why the pup wasn't growing.

Is it a case of just of just giving the pup a worming tablet/paste - or will this be too much stress on his little body? I have no idea if this pup is on heartworm preventative or even vaccinated - I will hopefully find out some more tomorrow.

Now - even if this pup is now wormed correctly and fed decent food - what are his chances of developing properly? Is he likely to have skeletal issues? What can we do to help him develop?

It may be worms.... then again- there are many other reasons for a puppy to be a poor grower.

I would also recommend a vet consult first.

Have the breeders seen the pup?

Do they know how much it is being fed?

Any chronic loose stools or vomiting?

If it was wormed before going to its new home... I would be surprised if it was carrying such a large worm burden... maybe I'm wrong?

If it is carrying so many worms- then vet treatment may be necessary anyway- it could have anaemia ,etc.

I am not 100% sure what information this guy was given. The other guys will be going around to see this guy today and go through "proper care" schedule for the pup.

I believe they will be getting him to take the pup to the vet for treatment (hopefully a decent vet) - so they should be able to sort out the treatment side of things. The guys just don't tolerate dogs/pups not getting proper treatment and care.

I know not a lot of vets know a great deal about nutrition - is that anything special they need to look at to bring the pup to a better condition? Or is it a case of just feeding him decent food like you would normally feed? I don't want to see him then grown too fast to make up for this.

Do you really think they are from a "breeder", I doubt it very much.

Is that because the pup is full of worms you think that?

We got a pup years ago from a reg breeder, a top breeder (so we were told by many people) Pup was sick when he got to us, full of worms, vet said it was one of the worst cases he has seen in a long time, we got a diet sheet, and that was it. No idea what worming program, if any he was on.

Atlas is the only dog that i know that came with a detailed list of when he was wormed, and when he needed to be done again, all other dogs i just got the papers and a vaccination cert. All from reg breeders.

Registered breeder does not automatically mean ethical breeder or one that has a clue!

The pup should have been wormed by the breeder & wouldnt require another until 3 months of age in a "normal " situation.

If the pup is of such poor condition it can indicate something more serious than worms......a Vet should be the first point of call, and the damage done by the malnutrition needs to be addressed to minimise further long term damage :confused:

Registered breeder does not automatically mean ethical breeder or one that has a clue!

Spot on! In fact, failing to ensure that the new owner is aware of care requirements is a direct breach of the COE for a registered breeder.

20. A member shall ensure that persons acquiring dogs from that member understand the requirements for the care, welfare and responsible ownership of the dog, and that they have the time and facilities, e.g. adequate fences, sufficient room and proper shelter, to fulfil their responsibilities.

Do you really think they are from a "breeder", I doubt it very much.

One of my dogs was from a well known registered breeder. She had long term hook worm infestation and had obvious daily anal prolapses where blood also trickled from her anus. It took some time to bring it under control, and by this stage I was well aware that I now had hookworm on site :confused:

Breeder didn't give a sh*t.

Hope this GSD gets vet attention asap. I wouldn't even be contemplating heartworm prevention at this stage.

Just a quick update.

The puppy has been removed from the guy's care and his boss is currently working on trying to save the pup (under the care of a vet).

It is not looking real good for the pup at this stage - but fingers crossed.

I can think of at least 2 pups purchased from high profile registered breeders by people I know who've had significant worm burdens on arrival in their new homes.

Never say never..

Fingers crossed for the GSD youngster. He must have had one hell of a worm burden or there's more to the story. :thumbsup: