Why Do Some Pups Have "puppy Breath"

joanne76

Ive always loved the smell of puppy breath and was told the smell was caused by intestinal worms. All the puppys that i have owned have had varying degrees of puppy breath but I have never noticed worms in their poo and all were wormed regularly. At the moment I am the lucky foster carer of 2 nine week old Shar Pei x pups. They both had a really bad worm infestation which they are still recovering from yet they have no puppy breath...

Is that becasue the smell isnt casued by worms at all???

Sorry if thats a dumb question :laugh:

I wouldn't have thought it was caused by intestinal worms.

I would have thought a combination of diet and immature digestive system? I know once the digestive system matures, the puppy breath seems to disappear. Or possibly it's because by that stage, you've simply stopped adding milk to their diet?

I have never heard the worms theory - most pups are born with roundworms, but I can't imagine that would cause their breath to smell different? And haven't noticed my pup's breath changing in odour after she got her first worming pill either.

I've always just supposed it's what dog breath smells like when you still have perfect teeth. :laugh:

OMG, puppy breath withdrawal here!

Will somebody PLEASE learn how to bottle it? :laugh:

But seriously, I believe that young puppies have a unique smell in much the same way that human babies do. And both tend to grow out of it WAY too quickly and become smelly little grubs before you know it! :(

I always thought it was the residual smell of mothers milk as I dont feed my pups milk. I was horrified to read it here on DOL that its caused by worms.

I feel much better knowing it isnt worms at all. :laugh: thanks

I think puppy breath (and looking cute) is their secret weapon that they use on us when they are naughty .... :(

It is the same reason babys smell so sweet and look so cute ... so you don't mind the sleepless nights and the endless dirty nappies :laugh:

Its not their breath I like, it's the puppy smell you get when you snuggle them. Never understood the term puppy breath, but baby puppies themselves smell delicious - clean fluffy warm ones that is.

We mix a little garlic in with pups food every other day. This gives her lovely 'neutral' breath (not garlic breath!)

Its not their breath I like, it's the puppy smell you get when you snuggle them. Never understood the term puppy breath, but baby puppies themselves smell delicious - clean fluffy warm ones that is.

Ok, so what doe puppy breath smell like.

Both my former and current dogs, well pup, have really neutral clean smelling breath, is that what you mean? Calling it puppy breath makes it sound like it should have a distinctive smell about it.

Can't use baby smell as a reference point, I'm allergic to babies. Or maybe they are allergic to me, anyways I tend to make them cry.