7kg Chihuahua..................

pesh

Sometimes feeding chihuahuas is the fault of the owner. They tend to feed their usual feeding, but because it is such a small feed they think, that's not enough. So will give more.

Even during the day, those extra little bits that the owner may have with her tea or coffee. A biscuit for me and one for the dog. Or even lunch time, a bit of sandwich can mysterious appear to the chihuahua without the owner thinking about it. At tea time, a bit of steak or hamburger is a treat for the little darlings. A slice of cheese or ham that fell off the bench, etc etc. In this case, training the owner is a good idea.

Adding vegetables to her food will help with the calories and a little walk around the back yard, twice, three times a day will help get the kilos down. Then when the weight is manageable, a walk around the block is sufficient. Don't want to wear out the heart muscles too quickly.

I feed my guys 50gms of raw meat. Weigh it up, it isn't much and you do feel sorry for them, but we chihuahua owners must be strong. When they pile on the weight, vegetables get added. So my guys weight will be up one month and down another. Always constant weight management. But I have children who don't understand that that little bit of toast or meat they dropped, adds the weight on them.

And check the teeth. The teeth is the main worry with chihuahuas. If they need to be cleaned or removed, then please try and have them done urgently. A little dog can get very sick with teeth problems.

Raz you have a pug...........how cute. My eldest thought the chihuahua was a pug when I brought her home, isn't that sad.

I have since found out from the owner she was giving her a whole smacko before bed (yes after dinner), but thought she was being good when she cut it down to half. :)

I can see this is going to be a very long process.

I'm thinking of making frozen parcels of meat and veges and giving them to the owner when she eventually returns home. That way it's pre-made and hopefully can't go wrong in that part of this feeding.

Once again, thanks for all the info.................

something for the person, for when the chi goes home, is to buy a smaller bowl. Maybe get her to feed twice a day but lots of carrot, pumpkin, bit of bran etc.

And see if you can get her to give lower fat treats (rather than half of her own biscuit). There are a range of low fat treats around.

The other thing (that works with some people) is to look at the % of food intake compared to body weight. Once that is put against their own ratio it can be easier to see exactly *how* much they are feeding too much.

Good luck

storm

Edited by jennajones

• 2 weeks later...

we've had many owners that have been too generous with their chis and given them tidbits between meals which is the real killer. sure enough they give them to us to mind and they are fat as fat. one dog my mother put her on a diet and then advised the owner that she had to change her habits for the dog. becasue at the end of the day you get the weight off for the owner and then they go back to the same old routine and kill the dog.

so we advise one meal a day about quarter of a cup of food. mine are used to plain old milk so to make them feel full i fill their bowl up with a bit of milk. and just put in half a hand full of dry food. if they don't like dry food, they always like chicken chis so bit of chicken wouldn't go astray. i wouldn't give them any dog can food as i was looking the other day and they had a layer of fat at the bottom, can't control fat intake with can food.

i cook the dogs food every day for them, also, watch that you don't drastically change the dogs diet as this can cause the runs for them. and make them sick. vegies whilst not too many can make them regular. and gentle exercise each day and gradually build it up.

sometimes to keep weight down and to keep my dogs health i will get a nice meaty chuck bone each cut small and that is their meal for the night.

never feed late at night and then get them to go to bed, sleeping on a full stomach puts weight on too. also watch carb intake. keep it low. learnt that from a body builder.

there is this page i wrote:

feeding chihuahuas

hope this helps

We now have achieved the 6kg mark, and she's going strong. No more fits. You can actually see her neck. So we going well.............................thx for all the help guys, really been great.

Have watched this thread with interest, I have a mini poodle so am trying to check what i should be feeding her.....

Maybe some photos from before and after? That may also help the owner realise how big she was.

post-3778-1249110997_thumb.jpg

A bit blurd. She's outside and took a quick shot of her.

Should have shot it from the rear. Legs spread so far it looks like it hurts.

But give credit to her, she's walking and is even trying to play. Plus having a male foxy seems to have taken her interest, lol.

No, the owner is not having her back, she's realized what has happened and knows she can no longer cope with her. I get a phonecall from her almost everyday, she's missing her so much, it's sad.

Should add, the photo is through a dirty back door. Looks worse than it really is.....................lol

Edited by pesh

How sad re her owner missing her :):) It breaks my heart re elderly/unwell people no longer coping with their pets.

The poor thing really is overweight....or maybe she has that infamous "small head" syndrome :D

Here's to her enjoying her new male companion and getting fit and trim!

Edited by Miss Helena

Poor thing, she must be having such a hard time :rolleyes: Her teeny weeny legs aren't built for carrying all that. Looking forward to seeing the 'after' shots! Good luck with her.

Thx everyone...................as for a foreva home, I MIGHT have a friend who will take her. If not, yes I would be looking to rehome the gal. She's so use to one on one and I'm working longer hours and feel she would gain in health with someone home more frequently.

Will keep you updated.

Thx Sharon