Blood In My 8 Week Old Cavalier King Charles Poo

cavalierlover

We picked up our 8 week old cavalier king charles cocker spaniel puppy two weeks ago on sunday, and noticed that when she had a bowel movement there was a small amount of blood in her poo. we bought her from a reputable breeder, and when contacted, said that it was normal for a pup to have some blood in their poop, for a few days after worming. Is this normal and correct. we have a two year old male and when we bought him home he didn't have this problem. Any thoughts would be great.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We picked up our 8 week old cavalier king charles cocker spaniel puppy two weeks ago on sunday, and noticed that when she had a bowel movement there was a small amount of blood in her poo. we bought her from a reputable breeder, and when contacted, said that it was normal for a pup to have some blood in their poop, for a few days after worming. Is this normal and correct. we have a two year old male and when we bought him home he didn't have this problem. Any thoughts would be great.

No it is not normal for a pup to have blood in their stools after worming. Is it a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or a Cocker Spaniel you have?

I just saw the vet about my Golden Retriever who is having issues with diarrhoea and he said to me that it was normal to see a small amount of blood if they have been straining whilst doing their business.

I would probably go and see the vet just to make sure, or even give them a call and discuss it with them!!

Good luck!!!

No it is not normal for a pup to have blood in their stools after worming. Is it a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or a Cocker Spaniel you have?

she is a cocker spaniel

Welcome to DOL. It definatley is NOT normal for your pup to have blood in her stools unless like Sahla said she has been straining? Have you changed her diet at all since you got her? This could cause her bowel movements to vary somewhat. You said you got her 2 weeks ago and she is 8 weeks now so that makes her 6 weeks when you got her?? Is your other dog Cocker Spaniel as well? Would love to see photos of your pup can you post some??

Edited by tlc

When was she wormed, and what with?

Worming in young puppies can sometimes cause them to have some specks of blood in their droppings, has it recurred at all?

she was wormed last thursday with the worming tablet we were given by the breeder, she did tell me the name however have forgotten as i didn't write it down, it did start with a D though. It has only been a few drops but still causes concern.

Welcome to DOL. It definatley is NOT normal for your pup to have blood in her stools unless like Sahla said she has been straining? Have you changed her diet at all since you got her? This could cause her bowel movements to vary somewhat. You said you got her 2 weeks ago and she is 8 weeks now so that makes her 6 weeks when you got her?? Is your other dog Cocker Spaniel as well? Would love to see photos of your pup can you post some??

She was a bit young we thought when we bought her, however we we were prepared for a little one and took a week off work to stay with her and Wilson ( her name is Sally). Yes he is a cocker spaniel aswell ( very spoilt i might add) and they look alike, ( will definately post some pics of them both. her diet was changed by the breeder, which she said gave her pups the runs then changed it back. Could this be the problem. her food is shaped like love hearts. Is she able to have a small amount of puppy mince yet? She is very interested in Wilson's food.

Do you know what the food is called??

Even though you may be prepared for a young pup, they really are not ready to leave thier fur families till at least 8 weeks so they have some coping skills with the outside world. Did the breeder give you a reason as to why she wanted you to take her so early?

All mine were eating meat, veg, dry food, chicken necks and wings by the time they were 10 weeks old. But if you are going to change pups diet you need to do it gradually and you should definatly get to the bottom of why she has blood in her stools before even considering changing her diet!

Do you know what the food is called??

Even though you may be prepared for a young pup, they really are not ready to leave thier fur families till at least 8 weeks so they have some coping skills with the outside world. Did the breeder give you a reason as to why she wanted you to take her so early?

All mine were eating meat, veg, dry food, chicken necks and wings by the time they were 10 weeks old. But if you are going to change pups diet you need to do it gradually and you should definatly get to the bottom of why she has blood in her stools before even considering changing her diet!

Will be taking her to the vet next week for a check up and discuss introducing new foods to her diet. She did not say why she was letting her go so early although she did have a few pups from some other litters ready to go and only had a couple of females left, which she knew we wanted. Did not question her about this. She seems to be settling in very well with both Wilson and my 4 kids, has fun playing out in the backyard in the playpen my hubby made for her, chewing lots and sleeping even more.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Cocker Spaniels are two totally different breeds - is she a cross between the two breeds?

I'd be taking her off to the vet for a check up.

Was it a once off?

She might have just eaten something which irritated or inflamed her bowel or intestine which resulted in the little bit of blood otherwise might have strained a little blood vessel when she has eliminated.

I have seen blood in my dogs' stools in the past and not been concerned.

Speak with your breeder again if you are concerned. Otherwise go to the vet for a check up.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Cocker Spaniels are two totally different breeds - is she a cross between the two breeds?

She is a cavalier king charles spaniel, not a cross however the breeders we bought our dogs off referred to them as cavalier king charles cocker spaniels, so i assumed that was the correct name. They are not cross breed dogs, and thanxs for pointing out the correct name for them.

She is a cavalier king charles spaniel, not a cross however the breeders we bought our dogs off referred to them as cavalier king charles cocker spaniels, so i assumed that was the correct name. They are not cross breed dogs, and thanxs for pointing out the correct name for them.

But you just said she was a cocker spaniel :hitself:

she is a cocker spaniel

Sorry, but they don't sound like reputable breeders at all, they sold her too young and don't even know what the breed is called! If the name they sold you the pup under is any indication I would bet that she's a crossbreed.

Edited by huski

she is a cocker spaniel

Can you please post a picture of your dog/s?

What breed do you have??????

But you just said she was a cocker spaniel :hitself:

she is a cocker spaniel

Sorry, but they don't sound like reputable breeders at all, they sold her too young and don't even know what the breed is called! If the name they sold you the pup under is any indication I would bet that she's a crossbreed.

I found the breeder for our new pup on this website, and she also has her own webpage for her pups with quite an extensive breeding history, with many photo's and generations of dogs on her website, so she obviously is a reputable breeder . I could send you an email of our dogs if this would be o.k and you can tell me what you think?

Hi there, sounds like you have bought from a less than reputable breeder. Pups should not leave the breeder and their littermates/Mum till they are at least 8 weeks old.

As has been said, Cavs and Cockers are two very different breeds. You may have a cross between the two if the breeder has called them by the two names.

You need to get the pup checked by a vet, ideally you should have had her vet checked as soon as you bought her home.

A little blood may or may not be normal, but keep a very close eye on her stools and report to the vet whatever you observe.

How old is she, what is the worming history (and vacc) and how much does she weigh?

I found the breeder for our new pup on this website, and she also has her own webpage for her pups with quite an extensive breeding history, with many photo's and generations of dogs on her website, so she obviously is a reputable breeder . I could send you an email of our dogs if this would be o.k and you can tell me what you think?

Not necessarily. A good website and plentiful puppies does not necessarily make a reputable breeder.