Microchipping

Hi Guys,

Just a quick questions regarding microchipping. We have moved from one town to another, our 3 dogs were lifetime registered at the old town, and the new town has agreed to let us do a transfer rather than re-register. the problem is the old town did not microchip, and the new town does. now the new town has been great, the boss at the council has stated that the rangers will come and do the chipping.

I had a call from one of the rangers this morning, he is concerned the dogs might bite him when he needles them with the chip (understandable) and that i should pay for a vet to do it. I told him that i was comfortable with doing the needling if he was really worried, and he told me that he will assess the situation when he comes around.

My questions is this, how big is the needle, as when i googled it most sites stated it was no different from a normal needle, just a fraction bigger. They stated the dogs did not usually need to be sedated and it could be done during a normal visit. As these are dogs that I have stictched up myself in the past, I am not worried about thier pain threshold, but if it is a huge needle maybe a bit of local anesthetic could assist? Even just to make the ranger more comfortable.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by erinb

Where are you?

I have seen many dogs and cats chipped, the biggest sooks are the cats, and every Staffy :)

ETA If they are worried about being bitten, muzzle the dog, for a few seconds of pain, you have a dog that is chipped for life.

Edited by Teebs

Is the ranger suggesting he's going to come and chip the dogs on his own/while you're not there?????

Otherwise any sensible person would say I will need you to be there to hold their head while I chip them.

It takes no time at all and except for extremely small dogs, is absolutely nothing to the dog. The needle is slightly larger than the needle used for vaccinations.

Hundereds of dogs are chipped wide awake every day at vets without any problems. Many states now have laws that all breeders have to microchip their puppies before they are sold. These pups are under 8 weeks and have no problems.

I had my boy done years ago when he was about a year old and he screamed before the needle came near him but he is a total sook. I had my girl done, again years ago, when she was under 6 months old and she didn't bat an eyelid. I have had other pugs done, whilst awake, and they didn't care really.

Maybe a vet can comment but I don't think I have ever heard of local anesthetic being used for microchips. If the dog is going to bite someone when it has a microchip inserted it will bite them when they have the LA needle.

Muzzel your dog if you think it may cause problems but I doubt there will be any.

Edited by puggy_puggy

I'm in Alice Springs, I would need to be here when the ranger was here, they are also seeing if I qualify for a kennel licence. So I would be holding the dogs and to be honest, I would do them myself if he wants to stand back, I thought he was being a bit narky, he had a pretty prickly attitude.

At least its not some great needle that is going to leave a massive hole, when he said the vets 'put them under an anesthetic' I thought he was being a complete :laugh:

My puppy got her C5 vac and her microchip in the same few minutes. She made a tiny muffled cry (her mouth was too busy eating treats the vet gave her to make a good yelp!!)

Just give your dog a treat that he needs to chew or put a few down that can be easily swallowed. It only takes a second.. no problems at all!

My pup got out 3 days after she was chipped... and she was taken to the vet, they scanned her and got all her and my details.. they are a must.

Well they came around, no problems, the dogs were just happy to have a cuddle from mum in the middle ofthday and lapped up the attention. Was a good visit, they granted the kennel licence as well and while they didn't apologise for the other bloke (was 2 different people) they were really good to deal with. So :cheer: At least it is all done now :cheer:

I had a needle go through the dogs skin and straight into the fleshy part of my thumb :cheer:

I didnt feel it, they are that sharp. I did have to pull the microchip out though :cheer: vet was mortified she had stabbed me with it!