Ccd

Another question, you know how you can trial from 6 months and you need 3 passes under 2 different judges, Is there an age limit for when the dog is awarded the title? Like does the dog have to be 12 months old like in the show ring? Or can they be any age?

Also, If I enter 3 events on 3 consecutive weekends, and we receive a pass for each, can he then be awarded a title or is there a time frame?

Another question, you know how you can trial from 6 months and you need 3 passes under 2 different judges, Is there an age limit for when the dog is awarded the title? Like does the dog have to be 12 months old like in the show ring? Or can they be any age?

Also, If I enter 3 events on 3 consecutive weekends, and we receive a pass for each, can he then be awarded a title or is there a time frame?

No there is no age limit to when your dog will be awarded a performance title, just that they are over 6 months of age to compete (but remember that with Agility your dog should not be jumping before they are twelve or more months of age to allow the growth plates to close).

And if you get a pass for each of the trials that you enter over the 2 consecutive weekends, you can apply for your dog's title straight away. So there is no time frame.

Hi, guys hope you dont mind a newbie question. Just out of curiosity how long did it take you guys to reaach the level CCD? Its amazing whats out there to compete in with your dogs.

Cheers

Bec

It depends on you, your dog and how much you have trained for it. With my boy we trained for only five weeks before we trialled in encouragement (I only entered him for the restricted to breed trial) and passed.

For those newbie's, encouragement was pre CCD ( has only been a class since 2006 ) and it was scored out 130 with a passing mark of 115 or higher.

And CCD is a title that goes after a dogs name? Sorry stupid Q I know but am getting my head around it all. We start obedience on sunday if he's good enough maybe one day :mad lol

Yes that is correct.

Have fun at your classes on Sunday

The age of the dog is not as important as their maturity and the handler's experience/confidence IMO.

I held off trialling my Dally because he was, shall we say, a late bloomer.....physically and mentally :mad He was doing all the required exercises but I just sensed that he lacked confidence and wasn't as relaxed as I'd like him to be. I needed to refine my approach to training too :D

I have a 16 month old and people keep asking when she will be ready to trial. She is shy in temperament so will struggle with a SFE so I have been in no hurry to introduce her to that until I can get her comfortable around people without being forced to do anything. She has reasonably solid foundations and can already do some of the preliminary stages of the higher level work. There is certainly no rush to get them in the ring. After all you could conceivably pass all the titles in 15 trials if the dog is trained :mad . 12 if you don't enter CCD, so 3 for CD, 3 for CDX, 3 for UD and 3 for UDX (and then another 5 UD trials for OC). Of course it doesn't work like that in real life but anything is possible. If your dog can happily complete the UD/UDX exercises in a variety of situations then CD and CDX should be a walk in the park.

Gosh Daisy will be three years old in October and there's no way we'll be ready to trial by then, so she'll be a late, late bloomer :mad

How's she going huski? I have a dreadful soft spot for Beagles after growing up with a stunning tri............he was a right rat bag but I'd love to turn the clock back and apply what I've learned to him.

Gosh Daisy will be three years old in October and there's no way we'll be ready to trial by then, so she'll be a late, late bloomer :mad

How's she going huski? I have a dreadful soft spot for Beagles after growing up with a stunning tri............he was a right rat bag but I'd love to turn the clock back and apply what I've learned to him.

She's ok. If I had kept going with obedience club we'd probably have progressed to the trialling class by now (we were only one level away), but like I mentioned in another thread, I had problems with her consistency where if she was focused on me she'd be fantastic but her drive to scent was always stronger than what I could offer. She can do everything required to compete in CCD, but I couldn't compete with her and know I could keep her nose off the ground if she caught a scent. I can put food under her nose when she's scenting and she doesn't even notice it :D We've been doing a drive training program for a few months now and she's coming along nicely. I only wish I had started her on it earlier! ETA: I wouldn't train a beagle any other way now. Their level of drive can be surprising (and they are so strong and determined) it's just harnessing it that can be the problem :(

I will one day have a male tri colour, his name will be Burt :)

Edited by huski

Our lad was "Bomber" as in bomber pilot....the ears, you know :D

Yep - Bomber was a sucker for food and it was the only way to train. Not sure if it's useful but I use sniffing as another reward for Zig - he is obsessed with sniffing and leg lifting and this has been a fun way to harness an otherwise annoying tendency :mad

Our lad was "Bomber" as in bomber pilot....the ears, you know :(

Yep - Bomber was a sucker for food and it was the only way to train. Not sure if it's useful but I use sniffing as another reward for Zig - he is obsessed with sniffing and leg lifting and this has been a fun way to harness an otherwise annoying tendency :mad

Oh what a sweet name!! I love it!

I've used it as a reward too - just on our walks when we get to our local sports field, I'll do a bit of training then I'll release her to scent, then call her back, release her etc. So I try and make it a fun game. She really associates training with food though - any chance to eat... :D She enjoys doing the drive work too, it makes her so enthusiastic!

I probaby didn't search hard enough, but I found some stuff on the net about CCD and was wondering if this was correct. The following is what I found and the numbers represent the max points that can be gained.

Heel on Lead 30

Stand For Examination on lead 10

Recall 20

1 minute Sit Stay 20

2 minute Down Stay 20

MAXIMUM SCORE 100

Less deduction for misbehaviour

QUALIFYING SCORE 75

Once your dog has gained 3 qualifying scores of 75 points or more you are now eligible to apply for the Title - Community Companion Dog (C.C.D.).

I have some questions, how old does a dog have to be to compete?

Is the only stand the stand for examination or is there stands throughout the heeling and if so how many and are they seperate to the sits in phases or are they mixed up within the heel on lead.

How far is the recall?

1 min sit and stay - where is the handler standing? is it on or offlead?

2 min drop and stay - where is the handler standing? is it on or offlead?

the recall is about 15 mtrs the stays are off lead and you leave your dog about 10 paces.the healing also has a figure 8 around 2 stewards. normal pace slow pace and fast pace in the healing pattern as well with stands downs and sits in the 3 paces.

agreed here on no rush. My girl was 2 before she entered the ring, there was no way she would have been ready earlier and I would have held her back even longer if I thought she wasn't ready.