Are Bananas Ok For Dogs?

Not sure if they are ok Fainty_Girl, but I know mine have enjoyed a munch on Nannnnas before. Have about 10 banana trees in the backyard are the evidence is often left for me to slip on :rolleyes:

for some reason I have a feeling they are not great for them though .... not sure why?

To my knowledge - yes. I've fed them to my boy (who loves them) although I only give him a bit of it, rather than the whole thing and from what I've read of others' opinions, they do the same. A couple of bites rather than a whole mass of them or you risk upsetting their tummies.

Of a morning for breakfast i have porridge with chopped up banana .... i cut off a tiny bit both ends and that is Sashas :rolleyes: she loves banana :laugh:

I guess its ok in moderation... but i wouldnt give her a whole one... not sure why though.

I guess its ok in moderation... but i wouldnt give her a whole one... not sure why though.

Agree - I think that counts for most foods (save for the known 'toxic to dogs' foods) that are not meat.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for your replies. :laugh:

Sometimes Tilly will have a whole banana or she will have half with Jessie, or other times I just break a piece off if i'm eating one myself.

In the past i've mashed them (sometimes mixing with puppy/dog milk) and frozen it in a kong and she enjoys that as a treat too.

She gets veeeeeery excited about them and has even gone as far as eating a banana skin (yuck!) when I wasn't home... :laugh:

fainty girl mine like the skins too when they go all black and sweet smelling, I think the sugar must come out in them.

:laugh: Eating a banana skin must be pretty unpleasant though :laugh: . If I take banana skins outside to put in the worm farm or in a birds nest fern she starts jumping around with her eyes popping out, thinking they're for her.

Tilly will eat just about anything though...the only thing she draws the line at is eating citrus and lettuce.

fainty girl mine like the skins too when they go all black and sweet smelling, I think the sugar must come out in them.

:cheer: Eating a banana skin must be pretty unpleasant though ;) . If I take banana skins outside to put in the worm farm or in a birds nest fern she starts jumping around with her eyes popping out, thinking they're for her.

Tilly will eat just about anything though...the only thing she draws the line at is eating citrus and lettuce.

:D :D

Mine dont stop there, they love oranges and mandarins and even a lemon will be tasted, and its juice will be drunk if it's the left over salad dressing, lettuce is good too.

Edited by Kirislin

I have banana trees in the back yard and the dogs are forever pulling them down. My old Dane used to stand up on his back legs and get hold of the whole bunch and pull till the tree snapped off. He would then take his time munching through them. I do not have a hills hoist anymore as he managed to drop two heavy trees directly onto the top of it and snapped it off. All of my dogs seem to like them, skins included. They also will spend hours shredding the trunk of a fallen banana tree which is quite helpful as it driews out faster and I can get it into the green waste bin faster.

Banannas are a good source of potassium, so in small amounts they may do some good.

Otherwise they are mostly a carbohydrate . . . about as good for your dog as white bread.

Gosh, I wouldn't compare bananas to White bread. Bananas are rich in a great number of Vitamins, minerals and enzymes and are known as the happy food and actually help fight depression.

White bread is just overrefined sugar and overrefined flour with preservativesin it....just rubbish.

I don't think there is anything in it to hurt dogs but have never fed it, as well, they are a different species to us and it's amazing what some animals can't tolerate that we love. Only recently read in a Veterinary journal that Garlic is bad for them and has a sedative effect on dogs. Yet is has been given a a vermifuge (worm and parasite deterent) for centuries.

That said my yougest Cavalier shows great interest in the smell of a banana and banana peel when we eat them???

My pup will choose fruit over meat anyday.

Banana and manadrin are his absolute favorite... although i don't give it to him much. But, he would do absolutely anything for them, and he isn't usually food motivated at all!!

Oh, he will only eat a peanut butter if i spread it on a red apple.. weird.

I tried taking a banana to the park a couple of times in the past week and it has definitely gotten her attention way more than a dog treat ever did.

Whatever works I guess...some people take dog treats for rewards, for Tilly I take a banana and her favourite squeaky ball. :laugh: