Tracking

congratulations on your Test 1 pass Ness...off to a good start....Dezzy's lump is nothing nasty so he is now over his surgery as the stitches are out and he is back tracking training again on Saturday.....Pink passed her Test 5 with a Pass...she hunted, air scented and even had three cross overs due to a car parked on her track cutting down trees...lol but we persisted and got through

The most exciting news is my daughter who is 13 years old gained her Tracking Champion title so now is the youngest handler in Australia to gain the Champion title together with our gorgeous girl Jessie who is also the first American Staffordshire Terrier in Australia...some great PR for our breed and hopefully Pink will gain her TDX at the next trial which will be the last for the season and Dezzy passes his Test 7 but I think we will be trying with Dezzy for his Test 7 next season :laugh:

was a very successful trial for us and we are over the moon with Tamika and Jessie :thumbsup:

So glad Dezzy is fine. Relief all round I reckon.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Huge congratulations to Tamika and Jessie on the T.Ch - what a great achievement for them both - how lovely to have two "firsts".

Fingers crossed for a clean sweep at the next trial.

Are you going on to Track & Search?

My guys like T & S. The feral Kirra thinks it's more fun because it's more challenging. Just about to do entries for our next T & S trial - Test 5 for Kirra - urban - will be fun, and Test 1 for Mr Rory.

Track and Search comes after you have completed your Tracking Champion title. Tracking trials are conducted where there is vegetative surfaces and using socks as articles whereas Track and Search tracks must have some "hard" surface and have everyday items as articles.

Edited by ness

Tracking trials are held in areas like farm paddocks, where it is unlikely that there will have been any humans walking in the area on the day of the trial - so the tracklayer's scent is the only fresh human scent on the area (though there may be stock and/or wildlife - just to make things exciting.)

Track & Search trials were developed partly to give Tracking Champion dogs something to go on to, but also to develop tests more closely resembling "real" search and rescue situations. The trials are held usually in parklands where ther are likely to be other people, dogs, bicycles etc., before and during the test. The tracks may follow paths - and there should be a variety of surfaces - grass, gravel etc. ... working up to streets at the Test 5 level, and then finally a night time urban track - Test 6. The delay on the tracks, and the deliberate contamination by diversion tracklayers and crossovers, gets greater with the level of the track.

You can have a look at the rules on the ANKC site ANKC rules - scrolll down the list and click on Tracking - then you can click on Tracking rules or Track and Search rules and information.

But beware - it's addictive :laugh: .

:rofl: Tassie if your lucky or if your unlucky you get local randoms walking all over the tracks anyway. The "locals" seem to make a habit of adding cross tracks to the lower level tracks. Hmmm Ness was really "unlucky" and had a cross track on her test 1 by some local. A friend had cross tracks on her test 2 at the last trial :laugh:.

ROFL - Our tracking trials are held on big sheep or sheep/cattle properties in the midlands. You do occasionally get the odd shooter that can sound a bit close, but usually the randoms are roos or wallabies, or like I had a couple of weeks ago, a mob of sheep - could hear this sort of clomping noise - at first thought it was the dog and handler coming with the handler in clogs :laugh: , but then heard the munching noises, and realised that the mob was happily munching its was around the clump of sags I was hiding behind. Guess you don't have those excitements in SA, with not leaving the tracklayer at the end of the track.

I actually usually train even for tracking trials in an area where there are peole and dogs walking around. Gets the dogs used to coping with it early on.

What fascinates me is that my dogs do pretty much all their training (and that's nowhere near as much as they should get) on tracks that I've laid myself, but they seem to really get that the game is "follow the given scent" .. I keep expecting them to turn round and say "found you" :rofl: .

Judge Josie put tracklayers back at the end of all her tracks last trial and I had fun and pleasure of snoozing in the sunshine while waiting on the end of a track 1 and a track 7. Agree though that place we train there are dogs and people and plenty of cross tracks so its really a non-issue.

The biggest distractions at trials are the sheep, roos and native inhabitants :laugh:.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW what a season we have had....we had our last tracking trial on the weekend and our wonderful furkids did not let us down....Zforce Rock Ina Frock aka Pink gained her Tracking Dog Excellent Title with a grading of very good and Amerykus God ov War aka Dezzy (who I thought would not get his title this season) pulled out all the stops and gained his Tracking Champion title with a score of good and of course Zforce Sweet Surrender aka Jessie and Tamika pulled off their Tracking Champion title the trial before this one.....it has been a wonderful and tiring season and we are sad that it is over but look forward to the new season with 2 dogs going on to Track and Search and Jessie will be trained by my son Jordan and Pink will continue on to hopefully gain her Tracking Champion title and we are so proud of this little girl who only failed her Test 1 once due to mice being in the paddock has gone through without a fail to gain her TDX.....go the Amstaffs :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: That really is a great set of results dezzyno1. I know what you mean about being a bit sad at the end of paddock tracking.

Track & Search trial for us this weekend - Kirra on her 5 - urban track - which she finds very exciting - and of course wants to do at warp sepeed :laugh: , and the Rory man on his 1. The the last T & S trial for the year a couple of weeks later. Good in a way - can concentrate on a busy month of agility (and conformation for Rory) in October, and then rally and obedience and agility in November, and obedience December. What fun. How lucky we are to be able to play such fun games with our dogs. :rofl:

LOL ... we get quite a variety. If we're lucky we get a nice hide, in the sun, out of the wind ... sometimes with s view of passing traffic, like I had the other week. Other times it's freezing cold, lying on the ground wrapped in a groundsheet. Our terrain is often such that it's not feasible for the tracklayer to get out ....either not safe for vehicles..or we'd waste too much ground having the TL walk out.

Track & Search we tend to be able to get the tracklayer out and put them in again.

Other than our Test 1 and Test 2 we normally don't have a track layer at the end of normal tracking trials. One judge did this year but tracklayer was put back out once the track was being run (well just prior). TSD trials the track layer gets put back out at the appropriate time prior to the track being worked.