Tracking

We had our first go at a 7 this weekend and for about 1180 meters she was brilliant then 20 meters before the hide in the middle of a herd of cows she did a hard left and kept going. I couldn't see the tracklayer either. Gut wrenching is about the best way to describe it when called back by the judge and pointed out the hide :( will take a few days to get my head around it I think

Oh man!!!! Oh that'd hurt big time. Cows are nasty.

Oh what a heartbreak, kathq. So near and yet so far. Better luck next time.

RubyBlue ...awesome day for you. Big congratulations on the TCh, especially.

We're missing the first tracking trial of the year ...at an agility workshop instead, so out first go at 7 with Rory had to wait till July, I think. Kirra has a go at TSD Test 4 before then, so I have to try to get some training in while we're on the .mainland.

my weekend at the tracking trial was a 50/50 one.....Dezzy was going for his test 7 but decided that playing was a much better option so about 100 metres from the end decided to just stop and refused to go any further...oh well maybe next time....my daughter Tamika and Jessie also failed due to Jessie changing the way she tracked and Tamika was unable to read her....will get this team going again with a bit of practice.....our gorgeous little girl Pink passed with a good score on her Test 3 which means she now has her Tracking Dog Title....I am sure the others will do better at the next trial at the end of July :)

:( :( :thumbsup:

Good for Pink - another title for the family. Bummer about the other two.

You know you guys are not filling me with confidence about the 7. :laugh: But I did manage to get through it with the feral agility kid, so here's hoping.

Better luck next time. It's hard when a dog is hard to read - that was one of my problems with Miss Kirra - that and the fact that she thought (and still thinks in TSD) - that everything should be done at warp speed :D .

thanks Tassie...I am sure you will be fine for your test 7....Dezzy has made me work really hard right from the start so I am used to him but we have some training techniques in store for him :laugh: .....Tamika will just be a confidence thing now and learn how to help Jessie when she loses the scent....I have one more chance to get Dezzy's test 7 at the end of July cause he has to have an op as he has a skin tumour that needs to be operated on.....if he doesn't he will be back for the last trial in September to try again but needs a few weeks off training which is not a good thing with him :D

my weekend at the tracking trial was a 50/50 one.....Dezzy was going for his test 7 but decided that playing was a much better option so about 100 metres from the end decided to just stop and refused to go any further...oh well maybe next time....my daughter Tamika and Jessie also failed due to Jessie changing the way she tracked and Tamika was unable to read her....will get this team going again with a bit of practice.....our gorgeous little girl Pink passed with a good score on her Test 3 which means she now has her Tracking Dog Title....I am sure the others will do better at the next trial at the end of July :)

Oh I can so sympathise on the 7, but you're right there's always another chance . Congrats on the three though

She finally did it!!!! After two years and several health and training setbacks I got my first Tracking Champion yesterday!!!! Dyson also completed his test 4 yesterday. Two for two :-) it was a very good day.

It was a day for the black labs at the GSD trial yesterday with 7 in total, 5 entered and 4 passes. Good luck to all those competing today.

Congratulations on your Tracking Champion and your Test 4...you guys did so well.....well done :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a second go at our TD7 this morning and we passed. Woohoo!!!!! Pixie dancing in the house. It was damn hard work after lots of rain yesterday there was a heavy fog this morning that lifted for the track layers and came back down again for the competitors. Added to that there was a large percentage of the track under ankle deep water which confused her a bit. But she never ever gave up kept working and we finished with a grading of Good. Never have I been so happy to see a body in the grass ;)

Had a second go at our TD7 this morning and we passed. Woohoo!!!!! Pixie dancing in the house. It was damn hard work after lots of rain yesterday there was a heavy fog this morning that lifted for the track layers and came back down again for the competitors. Added to that there was a large percentage of the track under ankle deep water which confused her a bit. But she never ever gave up kept working and we finished with a grading of Good. Never have I been so happy to see a body in the grass ;)

:cheer: :cheer: :champagne::thumbsup: That's great news. Well done on a super achievement .. never easy tracking through water. And the fog would have made it even harder. T.Ch. .... nice ring to it :cheer:

HUGE congratulations kathq....would have been hard tracking through the water but glad your furkid never gave up and passed :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone following the AKC tracking list drama? :o I assume mixed breeds are able to compete in tracking in Australia?

Haven't seen it .. but in answer to your question .. yes, all ANKC disciplines other than conformation, and gundog and herding competitiosn, are open to any dog registered with the ANKC as a pure bred (Main or Limited Register), or Sporting Register (based on a number of working registries, such as ISDS) or on the Associate Register - can be pure bred, not otherwise registered, or mixed breed - but Associates must be neutered in order to be registered.

• 3 weeks later...

What a weekend for us all last weekend......Dezzy was going for his Test 7 but failed beautifully (I think he wants to keep tracking instead of going on to track and search) :laugh: we will have to wait unti September to see if he decides to pass as he has had an operation to have a lump removed so will not be entered in the trial next weekend.....Tamika and Jessie went for their Test 6 and passed so now have their tracking dog excellent title and keeping fingers crossed for them next weekend as they go for their Test 7.....our little girl Pink also went for her Test 4 and passed with a very good....she is also entered next weekend for her Test 5.....we had a very successful weekend last weekend :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::cheer: That's super dezzyno.1! Special congratulations to Tamika and Jessie on their TDX. Commiserations to Dezzy on the 7 - Rory feels his pain - we failed our first go at 7, but were lucky enough to get it on Saturday - so on to T&S for us - which will really annoy Kirra - she thinks it's all hers. She's up to TSD Test 5 now - urban 800 metres, which will make training a bit easier - though it's a long set time.

Good luck to your two tracking next weekend, and to Dezzy for a successful surgery.

Hmm should have posted my brag in here to - my old girl Ness at the age of 12 years 10 months finished up her TD title the other weekend at the second to last tracking trial for the year. She is now retired and it was very much a case of great dog shame about the handler. :laugh:.

Well done everybody else on their passes.

fantastic news Tassie....I wish Dezzy would see that Track and Search will be fun but he seems to want to stay tracking....this was his second attempt... :laugh: ....good luck with Test 5...Dezzy has had his surery and lump came out easily and didn't look nasty but we are waiting for histology to come back which we should have it on Friday when Dezzy gets his stitches out....keeping fingers crossed :)