Tracking

l'm wondering what behaviour everyones dog offers to indicate articles ? Our girl has been a show dog all her life so sitting or dropping is not something that comes easily to her. Are dogs required to indicate articles in a TQT ?

Elka, indicating an article

542605_10151292004799628_386171413_n.jpg

This is IPO tracking though..

For ankc tracking they are just required to acknowledge the article. We put treats in the socks and the dogs forage through them, that is the start of the indicating behaviour. In a trial you are required to indicate to the judge that your dog has found an article. As the dog is often way ahead (and in my case my eyesight isnt great) you cant see article so the judge is happy if you think your dog has found something in the area they asked the article to be left.

Both of mine have independently decided to pick up and carry the article. It seems a lot of gundogs do this. Other peoples dogs just pause and sniff before continuing.

ANKC rules are becoming much stricter where article indication is concerned as of next year. A sniff on the move will no longer be considered indication - at least in QLD. The dog must either sit, drop, stand or physically pick up the article for it to be considered indication. Thats what we have been told here at any rate. Then again QLD would appear to be a bit more precise shall we say in their interpretation of the rules. :)

The interpretation of the rules seems very different state to state. Vic is pretty relaxed about it, but I'm trialing under a S.A judge soon and have heard that they are much stricter.

My puppy will pick up articles and the boy used to, but the older boy thinks hes too good for that so we have been putting treats under the article to get him to spend longer on it.

• 3 weeks later...

My not so little man got his first title yesterday after passing his test 3 up at Ballarat. He ran the entire track and my fear of getting pulled into a tree didnt come true - he pulled the two trees the lead got caught around out instead.....

Thankfully there were no kangaroos on his track. I found out afterwards that there was a whole lot of them standing watching on the first corner the day before and upset the previous dog.

Unfortunately no joy for Milly with her 7. She started so well but missed the first turn then got stuck on the acute. Seems a few dogs had some trouble going from one type of vegitation to another this weekend. Oh well her champion title will be all the more sweet when it comes now.

The food and atmosphere was fantastic and Im dissapointed its all over and back to reality.

ANKC rules are becoming much stricter where article indication is concerned as of next year. A sniff on the move will no longer be considered indication - at least in QLD. The dog must either sit, drop, stand or physically pick up the article for it to be considered indication. Thats what we have been told here at any rate. Then again QLD would appear to be a bit more precise shall we say in their interpretation of the rules. :)

CURRENT rules state "the dog must positively indicate the articles by either sitting, standing, downing, picking up or at least pausing to the satisfaction of the judge", so unless revised rules have tightened up on what a pause is, nothing has changed, it has always been up to the judge to deem it an indication or not

My not so little man got his first title yesterday after passing his test 3 up at Ballarat. He ran the entire track and my fear of getting pulled into a tree didnt come true - he pulled the two trees the lead got caught around out instead.....

Thankfully there were no kangaroos on his track. I found out afterwards that there was a whole lot of them standing watching on the first corner the day before and upset the previous dog.

Unfortunately no joy for Milly with her 7. She started so well but missed the first turn then got stuck on the acute. Seems a few dogs had some trouble going from one type of vegitation to another this weekend. Oh well her champion title will be all the more sweet when it comes now.

The food and atmosphere was fantastic and Im dissapointed its all over and back to reality.

Congratulations!!! And reality is harsh after a weekend away tracking isn't it. Better luck on the 7 next time.

We passed a 5 on Saturday and are trying a 6 next weekend. Fingers crossed

Congratulations to both RubyBlue and kathq on the successes. And commiserations on the 7, RB - next time. My boy will have his first go at 7 in July, I think. Need to ramp up the training (in between working on his other disciplines LOL.)

congratulations Kathq on your pass on test 5 and also congratulations to RubyBlue with TD and I was the lucky person laying at the end of the track when your gorgeous boy found me and he had no hesitation in coming under the tarp to get his reward :laugh:

I also had a fantastic weekend where our beautiful little girl Zforce Rock Ina Frock aka Pink got a very good on her test 2....the next trial in three weeks we will have all three dogs entered with Pink for test three, Dezzy test 7 and Jessie and Tamika test 6....hope we continue our good luck at the next trial :)

Should get out and see if Ness remembers what to do since she is currently up to a track 3. Hmmmmm but I don't do cold and wet anymore and it sounds like effort.

Edited by ness

thanks Tassie and yes I have to get Dezzy hopefully his Test 7 soon cause he has to go in and have a lump removed and that could hold up his tracking season a bit....would be nice to get his Tracking Champion before he goes in for op and Ness you should go out and continue with your dog and tracking is a winter sport so just rug up and I find you get warm cause of all the walking you do :)