Rear Dew Claws

Was just wondering if it's usual for vets to remove any rear dew claws? Dropped my rescue girl off for desexing today and he said he'd remove her dew claws at the same time for an extra $40. Feel like an idiot cos I never even noticed them before he mentioned it ! :(

Came home and checked the others...none of them have any, and I'm sure none of my previous dogs had either. Is this because the breeder has already removed them?

Not all dogs have them, some have single dew claws and some have double.

Usually they are removed because they are reasonably floppy and the nails can grow very quickly and they can catch on things and hook together whilst they are running along-which of course is very painful and results in a dog landing in a screaming heap.

I would remove hind dewclaws as a matter of routine. If not as babies(don't breed so won't have this choice!) then when they are desexed. If they have fairly thick bone they can leave a decent sized wound, DO NOT let the dog lick or chew at them at all as this can complicate healing and they will pull open and take forever!

• 2 months later...

Just bumping this topic because partners GSD had her rear dews removed last Monday and the vet said after 4-5 days take the bandages off.

Now we have a yard full of mulberries and her bandages got covered in mulberry mess so I took the bandages off last night (at 4 days after) and it was not what i was expecting. There appears to be stitches but there is a dull red fleshy, sticky wound on top. The original bandages were bloody and it looked like the wounds had been weeping. I put a non stick pad over each wound and re-wrapped it.

Im guessing thats not normal? I should have taken a photo at the time but didnt think! I am going the vet on Monday for my cat and am going to ask but how did other peoples dogs wounds heal up after surgery?

What did they look like after 5 days? Is it meant to look like a fleshy wound?

At had his bandages on for a week (Front dew claws) and it just looked like a normal cut - they removed them and stitched them up, They didnt look horrible or 'fleshy'

If I remember rightly, one of her cuts was a bit red and fleshy looking when I took the bandages off. I just sprinkled Medipulv antiseptic powder (human variety from chemist ) to dry it up, put non stick pad on top and vetrap. Was fine after a few days. :)