Question

It's all individual, except for the group stays :)

The only advice that I can give you regarding Group Stays is to make sure that your dog understands the exercise really well and is confident to stay where you leave him/her

On the weekend, we watched the CCD Group stays there was a massive group break in the stays.. only two dogs stayed in the class of approx 10 ( it brought back memories of my bitch becoming nervous in stays as it happened to us several times). It also happened again in the p.m trial.

good news :rofl:

Have fun and enjoy the experience

If my CCD dog wasn't on a pass there is no way I would be doing stays :)

I agree here. I was sitting on a wonderful pass one day and the dog next to me got up and growled at my golden. Has taken me over a year to get him almost steady in stays again. After that I never put him in stays if he wasn't on a pass. I didn't think it was fair to the other dogs if he broke and came running to me.

They don't here and its one of the reasons I am considering skipping CCD. Hmm wonder if its poor form to enter a trial and do the ring work and be sitting on a pass and still withdraw from stays :) .

OK my question is not about stays but it is about CCD

In agility I am having an issue of Kaos running off, and what I am going to do is to disqualify myself (telling the judge beforehand) and make up a small sequence that we can do so I can end on a good note before he runs off.

Is it at all possible to do a similar thing in obedience? Say if you are having motivation or stress problems or something, is it possible to go out there, disqualify yourself and tell the judge, and have the judge call a small amount of heeling, and then finish? Or would that be exceedingly rude? If you told them beforehand, could you do a different exercise?

In agility I am having an issue of Kaos running off, and what I am going to do is to disqualify myself (telling the judge beforehand) and make up a small sequence that we can do so I can end on a good note before he runs off.

Is it at all possible to do a similar thing in obedience? Say if you are having motivation or stress problems or something, is it possible to go out there, disqualify yourself and tell the judge, and have the judge call a small amount of heeling, and then finish? Or would that be exceedingly rude? If you told them beforehand, could you do a different exercise?

Our judges in WA would allow it. I have had a dog struggling with heelwork - so I have helped her along and then done another exercise or two and left the ring on a positive note.

In WA they have now introduced Not for Competition in obedience. It costs you half a normal entry and they put you at the end of the catalogue and you can go in and have the judge call a round for you and you can do what you like (except use food or toys). There are a few people using this in novice and CCD in preparation for the Nationals which are here in October.

That sounds like a good idea! I would want to do something different in the stays though. ie stay right in front of my dog. And that might upset the other dogs.

Poppy would not cope at all with other dogs coming up to her. Kallistar's story actually made me feel sick!

It is against the rules to train in the ring. I don't think any judges would allow it.

It is against the rules to train in the ring. I don't think any judges would allow it.

Hmm think you should move states.

Where in the rule book does it say this???? as she runs off to find her little blue book.......

Edited by Ptolomy

LOL think WA are just ahead in all respects Ptolomy - watch out for a mad influx of triallers - erm ok just look out for me :thumbsup: . Maybe I know I'll plan a trialling holiday that isn't the states or the nationals and come and do NFC with Kenzie over there :p .

Is it at all possible to do a similar thing in obedience?

I have often said that I don't understand why the VCA don't cater for this (ie similar to "hor concor" - pardon my spelling, in the horse competition world) and actually wrote to VCA about it a couple of years ago. I don't recall ever getting a response .... or perhaps I did but I think it was "passed over" to somewhere else.

People still pay their entry fee but aren't up for any prizes or points. I don't understand why this is not taken up by Clubs. It is still a money spinner for them.

Edited by Erny

Im pretty sure once you fail , you can pick one exercise to do after that and thats it,so for eg if you failed the heeling ,you could than choose to do a recall or stand for exam.

If my CCD dog wasn't on a pass there is no way I would be doing stays :eek:

I agree here. I was sitting on a wonderful pass one day and the dog next to me got up and growled at my golden. Has taken me over a year to get him almost steady in stays again. After that I never put him in stays if he wasn't on a pass. I didn't think it was fair to the other dogs if he broke and came running to me.

I agree with you both. It takes alot to get your dog back doing stays comfortably after a bad experience. Unfortunally not every one thinks to do this.

Stays can be my worst nightmare, as you never know if the other dogs are ok. And lately I have seen way too many dogs breaking their stays in CCD and CD.

In WA the judges now have the option of doing 2 lots of stays one for those on a pass and one for those that aren't :eek:

So what happens if only 1 dog is on a pass in that class? Does the judge who chooses this optiion ask for a couple of stand ins'?