Sending Blood Overseas

Rebanne

There appears to be a disease manifesting in greyhounds (show bred ones) that scientists may have discovered a marker for. They are based in Switzerland and are asking for blood to be sent to them for testing. They are quite specific in how they want it, plastic tube, not cooled, to be with them within 3 days of being drawn! The call went out on a greyhound list I am on and seems to be mainly aimed at the USA people. I am interested in participating, still looking for more info, but is it possible to get blood from here to there in 3 days? and if so how?

A while back AHT in the UK developed DNA tests for Staffords. A lot of people from both Australia & NZ tried to send blood (which could be chilled) and ended up with nothing but a big freight bill.

Thankfully both tests can now be done in Australia plus they are doing it by cheek swabs now.

You could contact the lab and ask if they have a specific freight company they prefer to work with, and ask for their advice about packaging etc. One issue is that not all freight companies will deal with biological samples and another being that Australia to Switzerland is not exactly a direct route :-)

Another option would be to see if the DNA can be extracted in Australia instead then the lab receives the information it wants not the whole sample - but this might not be possible until they've actually figured out which part of the DNA they need to see.

I would be ringing an international courier such as DHL and asking them

Hopefully there is a way for Australian greyhounds to be tested too. Good luck!

yes, thankfully none of mine have it ( from the symptoms described ) and it's doubtful if Fern or Miller are carriers as they are fairly certain it comes from a European dog for the 70's and that is not in their background but still, it would be nice to know. I have asked on the list about sending blood from here. Australia gets forgotten a bit!

Another option would be to see if the DNA can be extracted in Australia instead then the lab receives the information it wants not the whole sample - but this might not be possible until they've actually figured out which part of the DNA they need to see.

This is a good idea, it seems they may be close to knowing what they want but need more samples to test on first. At least that's how I read it.

Best to go through a freight company as they can organise and liase with AQIS on your behalf, but you have to go through EXDOC at AQIS to get all the certificates etc for the blood to be shipped out of the country.

I sent dog bloods to the USA via FedEx Couriers a few months ago. I declared it, of course, and there were forms/triplicats of forms that I had to provide to satisfy customs (FedEx supplied the forms). Filling out the forms was a bit confusing at the time, but once done and sent I didn't have any problems.

Edited by Erny

I sent dog bloods to the USA via FedEx Couriers a few months ago. I declared it, of course, and there were forms/triplicats of forms that I had to provide to satisfy customs (FedEx supplied the forms). Filling out the forms was a bit confusing at the time, but once done and sent I didn't have any problems.

I have used FedEx with success to send blood to the US before too - no dramas, there very quickly and not outrageously expensive for an international courier.