Luxating Patella In A Ckcs

pmiller

Hi All,

I took my CKCS out for a walk this afternoon. We got down to the park and I let him off lead and he had a bit of a run. As he ran back towards me, I saw his back left leg "a bit limp" as he approached. I quickly put him back on lead and walked home. He struggled up the stairs and really looked like he was favouring his good leg.

So I quickly got onto the VET and took him in. The VET felt around and believed he had a grade 2 or low grade (sorry can't remember which one) luxating patella. He has been ordered plenty of rest (4 days), some Rimadyl (pain reliever?), slow walk, building up to a run in 7 days and reassessment of his condition. My feeling was that the VET thought it would fix itself, although he flagged the possibility that surgery may be required in the long run.

Has anyone else had any experience with this sort of condition? I spose I'm wondering if anyone has any more information. Sadly, once I leave the VET I think of all the questions I should have asked! Oh, I should add that he is 9 months...a young fella in otherwise good health.

Cheers...

Edited by pmiller

Aww poor boy.

Unfortunately, it is a very common problem in cavaliers and most of the time it is hereditary (not always).

Im sure you will get multiple replies about this from some knowledgeable cavalier breeders on here and they will be more than happy to answer your questions about it. I know for a fact a couple of people who had their cavs patellas surgically repaired and their recoveries were fantastic.

Cuddles to Shiraz (I think that was his name?)

Hope he feels better soon... :eek:

Yes it is not uncommon in toy breeds. Sometimes their knees are good when they are younger but as they grow and the back legs straighten a bit the problem begins. Hopefully he will come good and not need surgery but it's a wait and see. A good idea to speak to his breeder too.

My Tentie had some symptoms when he was about 9 months - laid down and when he stood up couldn't straighten his leg. I was advised not to worry or make any decisions until he had finished growing, after a few weeks he was fine and has never had a problem since.

Pmiller, sorry to hear about your cavalier....

Have you let the breeder know about the Patellas they also may have some suggestions as to what you can do...

Firstly, keep the cav away from stairs... if required carry them up and down the stairs..

Dont let him jump on the lounge, or really jump on anything...

Patellas can be a problem and they may need sergical intervention, but not always, if you are not heepy with what your vet told you then go see another one.

Sometimes building up the muscles around the patella can correct it... I would try some hydrotherapy to strengthen the muscles.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Great advice as always! Have contacted the breeders and also put a ramp the ramp back up that allows Shiraz to go down the stairs into the backyard. He yelped a few time last night just randomly when he obviously "twinged" it a bit. I really hope it clears up like some of you mention and he's not in too much pain. Will let you know the upshot.

• 2 weeks later...

It has probably been a couple of weeks and Shiraz's leg is settling down. He hasn't had an luxations (if that is the word) for the last 4 days. I've started walking him just a little bit again. The vet has told me to just watch him and see what happens. I'm glad he doesn't need to go in for surgery just yet, if at all.

Oh, and spoke to the breeders again. They constantly check the patella's of their dogs so I guess I was just a bit unlucky or he might have simply injured it.

My fingers are crossed...I really hope he continues to improve.

• 4 weeks later...

Another update on my little man's condition. His leg has worsened over the last couple of weeks. Had him in at the vet the breeder recommended today. He had no doubt what the problem was and felt the options were as follows:

He listed 3 options:

1. Do Nothing

2. Walking him up hills to strengthen his muscle (said there was a 20% chance that this would work but we would have to keep doing the hill walking...well...forever)

3. Surgery

We opted for the surgery option which will be done this Friday. We have to keep him confined to one room for the next 4 weeks after that, and then another 4 weeks of slow build up (least I think that is what he said). Poor little guy doesn't know what is in store for him.

it will be worth it in the long run :(

You wont know the difference to Shiraz once it has healed...

But I would like to stress that he must be confined during recovery as you want him to have the best recovery possible.

Is is just the one being done or both?

Good luck to Shiraz! Such a handsome boy....he will feel so much better once this is all over.

Off the top of my head - pennyw74, Benji&Cuddles and kissindra's Cavs have all had the patella surgery - Benji&Cuddles and kissindra quite recently - I'm sure they would be happy to chat if you had any questions.

Big :( from me.

My big boofa standard poodle has bilateral luxating patellas, too :laugh: .

Talk to your vet about the problem.

My dog had XRays done at 9 months (he's now nearly 3) and vet advised to wait and see as the XRays looked OK.

He was doing the classic of holding up his affected leg and "hopping", but it seemed to come and go over time.

At one stage, I didn't see him dislocate for many months.

Arthritis develops if you leave it too long, but vets vary as to when they recommend surgery.

Some prefer to leave a lower grade (i.e. less severe, e.g. grade 1 or 2).

No surgery can guarantee 100% success, but you do what you think is best all-round.

Will watch this thread as my dog's just started to dislocate more often and may have to reassess for surgery.

Best wishes.

eta: Vet said Grade 1 at time of XRays. No pain killers seemed to be needed at that time.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Oh dear sorry to hear he has worsened. I've had several Cavaliers had the surgery over the years and they have come through it very well. I've not had to confine mine that much but then I'd say the vet is doing surgery a different way. I've just crated them for the first few days and then after that gradually gotten them back to normal but avoided all jumping. Of course it is important to follow your vets instructions. I hope all goes well.

Boo is nearly in the last phase of recovery, he had both back legs done and the results have been fantastic. As others have said you really do need to keep them as quiet as possible post surgery, but there are lots of ways you can keep them entertained yet contained :mad

Edited by Kissindra