We Just Qualified For The World Dog Games!

:)

Mr CK has had a VERY cool day today. We started with an hour and a bit of flyball training, but then raced off to get to a frisbee comp and qualified for the World Dog Games late in October.

The little man was just brilliant and in the process managed to get the first every FDM (Frisbee Dog Master) quali ever awarded in Australia!! Ever time I threw the frisbee he was just awesome :) . So fast and so focussed.

Now hopefully we can see an even better performance later in the year!

WOO HOO!!

:)

Mr CK has had a VERY cool day today. We started with an hour and a bit of flyball training, but then raced off to get to a frisbee comp and qualified for the World Dog Games late in October.

The little man was just brilliant and in the process managed to get the first every FDM (Frisbee Dog Master) quali ever awarded in Australia!! Ever time I threw the frisbee he was just awesome :) . So fast and so focussed.

Now hopefully we can see an even better performance later in the year!

WOO HOO!!

Well done, quiet an acheivement, did you get any pictures, would love to see your clever pup. Best of luck for the WDG's in October, I hope you will post and let everyone know how Mr CK does.

Here are photos of both puppies. CK has the blue frisbee and Xena has the pink. The little girl had a good day, but just isn't as consistent as CK.

The WDG is being held on the last weekend of October in Sydney at Acer Arena and will be televised on Channel 7 over summer.

post-30032-1251018351_thumb.jpg

post-30032-1251018366_thumb.jpg

Fantastic!

Love the action photos, Xena looks like she gets good air! Any dog of mine would be seriously handicapped with my frisbree throwing skills. Jazz loves her frisbee, shame it is lost over the fence yet again :)

What a huge achievment for you and CK. Good luck for the games.

No - he did crack his elbow when he was 4 months old after slipping on one - that put his career on hold for about 9 months while we got him right.

We do a LOT of foundation work with the puppies teaching them how to jump and more importantly land properly before going for a lot of distance. Like anything if they understand their bodies and have been trained to play the game the risks are minimised.

Xena (the one WAY off the ground) is part cat and has always landed very nicely, but CK took a bit of work to get him landing nicely on all 4's every time.

The only injuries they have suffered in all the sport they have played are CK's silly puppy mishap, Xena on a see saw at agility when she thought it was a dog walk and Xena again when she had a collision at flyball.

Other than that we have had a dream run.

We do a LOT of foundation work with the puppies teaching them how to jump and more importantly land properly before going for a lot of distance.

Congratulations, Agility Dogs. I bet you are more than just chuffed :rofl:. Sounds like a big achievement so :laugh: and well done.

I have a question given that I've never trained for frisbee jumping/catching. If it is not too difficult to give a brief overview, are you able to explain how you structure "foundation work" to teach the pups how to jump and land?

Hey AD

Congratulations on your qualie for the WDG.

Cooper and I will be there competing the flyball racing so we can cheer each other on!!! :laugh:

I think i want to start Cooper and Crash in Frisbee. Where and how do I get started? Though we have a busy few months coming up with the Flyball Nationals (are you going?) and the WDG only 2 weeks after that. So I may leave that one for next year and concentrate on getting Crash running flyball...finally...

Well done again on your qualie for the WDG, awesome effort.

I have a question given that I've never trained for frisbee jumping/catching. If it is not too difficult to give a brief overview, are you able to explain how you structure "foundation work" to teach the pups how to jump and land?

Safe landing is landing on all four paws at once, not only back or only front as many dogs tend to do naturally. The most common exercise we do to teach them to jump out rather than up and to land flat is called "overs".

You start out sitting down with your feet against a wall (so the dog can't go around you - not everyone needs to do this nor continue to do it). You hold the disc above your legs and give a command to take the disc. Your dog jumps over you legs taking the disc out of your hand. They have to lift the back end or hit your legs. You do this from both sides - you the start making the jump higher by lifting your legs and eventually moving into a standing position.

The Getting Started page on our club's website has a PDF brochure with more information as well as Training Tips (including a far better descriptions over Overs :champagne: ).

Where and how do I get started?

There currently are clubs in Townsville, Gympie and the Brisbane area.

Congrats on qualifying AD.

Edited by molasseslass

Safe landing is landing on all four paws at once, not only back or only front as many dogs tend to do naturally. The most common exercise we do to teach them to jump out rather than up and to land flat is called "overs".

You start out sitting down with your feet against a wall (so the dog can't go around you - not everyone needs to do this nor continue to do it). You hold the disc above your legs and give a command to take the disc. Your dog jumps over you legs taking the disc out of your hand. They have to lift the back end or hit your legs. You do this from both sides - you the start making the jump higher by lifting your legs and eventually moving into a standing position.

The Getting Started page on our club's website has a PDF brochure with more information as well as Training Tips (including a far better descriptions over Overs :champagne: ).

Thanks for taking the time to explain, Molasseslass. I'll have a look at the link later (in the midst of bookwork at the moment :champagne: .... I hate paperwork). It was just a curiousity but it would have bugged me not to know :champagne:.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, Molasseslass. I'll have a look at the link later (in the midst of bookwork at the moment :champagne: .... I hate paperwork). It was just a curiousity but it would have bugged me not to know :champagne:.

Thanks ML.

The other thing I've seen CK in particular improve from is general proprioception excerises that a lot of people do for agility foundation. Walking along a ladder on the ground, walking backwards, walking on his hind legs, spinning on the spot, front feet on a box walking in a circle with his hind legs etc etc.

Wherzaball - will talk to you at Redlands about starting and where the next clinics etc are. Your doggies will be AWESOME!

Cheers

Tony

Guest Clover

Congrats ADs, that is great news. I am pouting i wanted to try out for Flyball with one of mine, but just don't have the time :grouphug:.