Runny Poo

justnikky

:laugh: My 8 week old Frenchy has developed very squirty smelly poo. Its foul. She eats, plays and is normal every other way just terrible poo.

She is very fussy eater. I tried to give her supercoat puppy dry and soaked in puppy milk ( she wont eat it), optimum ( wont eat it), puppy milk ( wont eat it), Out of desperation, Pal natural puppy in tin she likes it. She does'nt like raw chicken so I gave her cooked breast ( loves it). She is drinking water and seems healthy in every other way. The poo is squirty and very very smelly. She also tries to eat it as well! Gross! Is there a remedy? She was wormed 4 days ago. Any help greatly and gratefully accepted :)

Hi

The runs are possibly due to all the changes in diet and also a result of a change in environment. At 8 weeks I am assuming you have just got the puppy?

What was the breeder feeding?

Stay on one food (and not one you get from the supermarket but one which has a protein as the first ingredient) and feed that.

If you chop and change food on a puppy they can become a fussy eater knowing that if they refuse something better will come along.

However, at that age, I would take the pup to the vet if the runs persists past one day or sooner if pup is not drinking or is lethargic.

Yes baby pups go through a big upheavel leaving the breeder so it really is best to keep them on the food they are used to and gradually change it if you don't like it. Give her tummy a little rest and miss her next meal. After that I would give her just a little boiled rice and cooked chicken for a few meals. It's very bland. Then slowly add what you want her to be eating. If she looks unwell at all off to the vet. Little ones can go downhill quickly.

:) My 8 week old Frenchy has developed very squirty smelly poo. Its foul. She eats, plays and is normal every other way just terrible poo.

She is very fussy eater. I tried to give her supercoat puppy dry and soaked in puppy milk ( she wont eat it), optimum ( wont eat it), puppy milk ( wont eat it), Out of desperation, Pal natural puppy in tin she likes it. She does'nt like raw chicken so I gave her cooked breast ( loves it). She is drinking water and seems healthy in every other way. The poo is squirty and very very smelly. She also tries to eat it as well! Gross! Is there a remedy? She was wormed 4 days ago. Any help greatly and gratefully accepted ;)

justnikky congrats on your little frenchy :D there is a fab frenchie thread in breeders forum and photos must :eek: also they give great advice to newbies :)

my little otto had same problem and I too was very worried but kept him on bland cooked chicken & rice as mentioned and slowly start to introduce what I wanted him to eat (kibble etc) it worked :eek: he is fussy too,isn't into canned food which is fine by me as I prefer him to eat kibble/raw meat/chicken etc...he is now nearly 7 months and is feed 2 meals a day which is working out well :D Otto also ate his poo :laugh: but the breeder & I put it down to boredom & separation - he grew out of it once he started eating better

took about 3 weeks but we got there :(

When our GSP puppy was 12 weeks old we wormed her and had the same upset tummy problem, apparently it is quite common. Our vet and breeder's advice was to fast her for 12 hours, making sure she was still drinking to give her tummy a chance to settle. We were feeding optimum biscuits as the breeder had as well as chicken wings and were told to cut out everything except the biscuits and introduce in small meals. Of course, watch carefully for dehydration and get to the vet if you are concerned.

I'm afraid I'm mean and our animals get 1 chance - if they dont eat the food given to them in 10 mins or so, it is taken away and offered again at the next meal! Although I have to say that I have never had a picky animal - most are more likely to eat everything and anything and it has to be kept well away from them in sealed containers or they will have a go.

Edited by CareyJ

:( My 8 week old Frenchy has developed very squirty smelly poo. Its foul. She eats, plays and is normal every other way just terrible poo.

She is very fussy eater. I tried to give her supercoat puppy dry and soaked in puppy milk ( she wont eat it), optimum ( wont eat it), puppy milk ( wont eat it), Out of desperation, Pal natural puppy in tin she likes it. She does'nt like raw chicken so I gave her cooked breast ( loves it). She is drinking water and seems healthy in every other way. The poo is squirty and very very smelly. She also tries to eat it as well! Gross! Is there a remedy? She was wormed 4 days ago. Any help greatly and gratefully accepted :eek:

justnikky congrats on your little frenchy :laugh: there is a fab frenchie thread in breeders forum and photos must ;) also they give great advice to newbies :eek:

my little otto had same problem and I too was very worried but kept him on bland cooked chicken & rice as mentioned and slowly start to introduce what I wanted him to eat (kibble etc) it worked :p he is fussy too,isn't into canned food which is fine by me as I prefer him to eat kibble/raw meat/chicken etc...he is now nearly 7 months and is feed 2 meals a day which is working out well :o Otto also ate his poo :eek: but the breeder & I put it down to boredom & separation - he grew out of it once he started eating better

took about 3 weeks but we got there :D

OMG! :love: Otto is Yum Yums twin! he is absolutely fabulous. Yummy is doing a bit better today. Little monster and very cheeky. I will post fotos soon. can't wait to show her. Thanks for advice.

;) My 8 week old Frenchy has developed very squirty smelly poo. Its foul. She eats, plays and is normal every other way just terrible poo.

She is very fussy eater. I tried to give her supercoat puppy dry and soaked in puppy milk ( she wont eat it), optimum ( wont eat it), puppy milk ( wont eat it), Out of desperation, Pal natural puppy in tin she likes it. She does'nt like raw chicken so I gave her cooked breast ( loves it). She is drinking water and seems healthy in every other way. The poo is squirty and very very smelly. She also tries to eat it as well! Gross! Is there a remedy? She was wormed 4 days ago. Any help greatly and gratefully accepted :eek:

justnikky congrats on your little frenchy :laugh: there is a fab frenchie thread in breeders forum and photos must ;) also they give great advice to newbies :p

my little otto had same problem and I too was very worried but kept him on bland cooked chicken & rice as mentioned and slowly start to introduce what I wanted him to eat (kibble etc) it worked :o he is fussy too,isn't into canned food which is fine by me as I prefer him to eat kibble/raw meat/chicken etc...he is now nearly 7 months and is feed 2 meals a day which is working out well :D Otto also ate his poo :eek: but the breeder & I put it down to boredom & separation - he grew out of it once he started eating better

took about 3 weeks but we got there :(

OMG! :love: Otto is Yum Yums twin! he is absolutely fabulous. Yummy is doing a bit better today. Little monster and very cheeky. I will post fotos soon. can't wait to show her. Thanks for advice. Where is the forum? Can't find it. :eek:

:( My 8 week old Frenchy has developed very squirty smelly poo. Its foul. She eats, plays and is normal every other way just terrible poo.

She is very fussy eater. I tried to give her supercoat puppy dry and soaked in puppy milk ( she wont eat it), optimum ( wont eat it), puppy milk ( wont eat it), Out of desperation, Pal natural puppy in tin she likes it. She does'nt like raw chicken so I gave her cooked breast ( loves it). She is drinking water and seems healthy in every other way. The poo is squirty and very very smelly. She also tries to eat it as well! Gross! Is there a remedy? She was wormed 4 days ago. Any help greatly and gratefully accepted :o

justnikky congrats on your little frenchy :thumbsup: there is a fab frenchie thread in breeders forum and photos must ;) also they give great advice to newbies :D

my little otto had same problem and I too was very worried but kept him on bland cooked chicken & rice as mentioned and slowly start to introduce what I wanted him to eat (kibble etc) it worked :D he is fussy too,isn't into canned food which is fine by me as I prefer him to eat kibble/raw meat/chicken etc...he is now nearly 7 months and is feed 2 meals a day which is working out well :D Otto also ate his poo :eek: but the breeder & I put it down to boredom & separation - he grew out of it once he started eating better

took about 3 weeks but we got there :D

OMG! :thumbsup: Otto is Yum Yums twin! he is absolutely fabulous. Yummy is doing a bit better today. Little monster and very cheeky. I will post fotos soon. can't wait to show her. Thanks for advice. Where is the forum? Can't find it. :confused:

go to general discussions page ...on top column is breeders sub forum - click it open and all threads are there - the french bulldog one is somewhere there :D

you'll see photos of my ewok "otto' at 6 months...will update them when he is 7 months :D glad to hear Yum Yum is better :thumbsup: looking forward to seeing pics

Shiraz has had his fair share of stomach upsets. Definitely chicken and rice for a few days.

One of the best things we did in combatting his fussyness is persist with feeding him the one type of food (Hills). He didn't go for it at first, but with persistance and dishing the same thing up each mealtime, he now eats it regularly (still misses a meal here and there at 9 months...probably 1 a week). He gets 15 minutes to eat it or else he loses it. It feels cruel but you'll be creating a fussy eater by varying his meals too much. Good luck with the pup!!!

Shiraz has had his fair share of stomach upsets. Definitely chicken and rice for a few days.

I had a whole litter that had a case of diarrhea. I fasted them for almost 24 hours, gave them lectade (electrolyte replacement) and then fed them boiled chicken breast and white rice for quite a few days. After about 4 days their stools firmed up, so I slowly added into their chicken & rice a little of their dry food. Slowly replacing the rice with the dry food over about a week. Then I slowly replaced the chicken with their raw mince. It took about 14 days to get them back onto their normal diet, but worth the slow change over.

However first I got their stools checked by the vet to make sure they didn't have any bacterial infection or worm infestation. Their stools were clear, so I knew it was dietary and just made the change slowly.

if you want to avoid stinky poos in the long run dont feed pal, especially canned *urgh*

slowly change the diet to a dry food that is not too packed with grains as well.

remember with pups a bland diet for diahrrea, low fat chicken and some rice as well as plenty of fluids, then gradually reintroduce food. If that fails after a couple of days straight to the vet as they can dehydrate very quickly.

if you want to avoid stinky poos in the long run dont feed pal, especially canned *urgh*

slowly change the diet to a dry food that is not too packed with grains as well.

remember with pups a bland diet for diahrrea, low fat chicken and some rice as well as plenty of fluids, then gradually reintroduce food. If that fails after a couple of days straight to the vet as they can dehydrate very quickly.

Well off to vet today, got anti biotics and scourban. So far so good :vomit:. even ate a little today. Thanks for all the advice. We'll see how she goes now

Well off to vet today, got anti biotics and scourban. So far so good :champagne:. even ate a little today. Thanks for all the advice. We'll see how she goes now

All better today, eating well she is a different puppy :thumbsup: Thanks everyone for help