Big Problem With My Newfy

You said: BUT the breeder needs to be given the first option of taking the dog back.

But that is in the perfect world senerio.

They don't have to give the Breeder first option.

That is all I am saying.

I didn't say they have to. I said I think they need to.

It's not illegal to rehome or resell a dog. But if you come on to a purebred dog forum looking for advice about it, then you need to contact the breeder about it.

I think we are saying the same thing, just misunderstanding each other! :)

Edited by redarachnid

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raven, no disrespect intended or meant in any way by my post.

Another poster mentioned that you have a disabled son. I of course are not aware if your Son is disabled intellectually,physically or both.

What degee of disability your son has,as you know of course affects how your son,moves,behaves,see's the world and responds to the enviroment.

I have seen these situations before and in those cases it came down basically to two aspects.

Dogs are predators and naturally have the instinct to hunt. This of course is Prey drive.Prey drive is much more complex than just chasing or seizing a prey object. Inorder to improve the chance of making a kill,dogs through an aspect of prey drive have the ability to easily spot a prey animal that is an easier target. Easier prey targets may include the young,the old,the sick and the injured. a Dog will notice these soft targets at a distance due to abnormality" s in their movement.For example a sick or injured prey target will move much slower or movement will not flow but be very jerky. Some disabled People will set off this aspect of prey drive in a dog.

Another factor that could well be playing a part here is dog"s ability to pick up on sickness or illness. Dogs in the wild will often abandon,hunt away or even kill a sick or injured pack member,because its a threat to the survival of the remaining pack.

Raven, it is your right to take the course of action that works best for you and your family.

Yes it may be courtesy to contact the breeder, but one has to bear in mind that just because somebody is a breeder,do"s not austomatically means they are a full bottle on dog behaviours.

All the best with whatever choice you make Raven. Tony

Sharon I'm sorry to read this thread, I had no idea you were having some troubles with Digi :) This must be incredibly hard for you, just want you to know that you have my full support ok hun :hug: You are doing the right thing for everyone involved, first and foremost your precious son who, naturally, is and should be your number one priority. Digi is a gorgeous boy and I'm sure he will make someone else very happy. Don't feel bad for letting him go.

Yes it may be courtesy to contact the breeder, but one has to bear in mind that just because somebody is a breeder,do"s not austomatically means they are a full bottle on dog behaviours.

I now the breeder personally & there not nobs.

You said: BUT the breeder needs to be given the first option of taking the dog back.

In our sales contract you have too & often we may have people on our list looking for adult dogs or would be able to deal with a dog with issues & that have previous breed experience/knowledge.

We have also worked in with breeders east who have sold dogs in different states to access & help again with rehoming to simply ensure the new owners are aware of the breed.

The OP has contacted the breeder so that is all that matters.

There is nothing worse than finding out second hand that your pup has moved on.

We have only had one case & the owners dumped it in a boarding kennel .

Luckily we new the kennel owners & the dog has been rehomed & to a super family

that is if the current owner is not trying to recover $ by selling the dog

???????

I have no idea who the owner is, I'm just saying.

All I was saying is that an owner of a dog doesn't 'have' to give first option to take a dog a dog back, it would be nice but they don't have to.

Some people prefer to sell to recover monies spent rather FTGH.

Not saying this person, just saying in general.

Edited by sas

In our sales contract you have too

I'm sorry but once a person buys a dog they can do as they wish, a sales contract 'most' of the time isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Sorry I wasn't looking to make anything into a debate, just making a correction to something that was said.

I believe in many cases the dog would be better off with the Breeder so I'm not suggesting the Breeder isn't a suitable person....never made mention of that of all, just stating the legal status.

Edited by sas

That is all I am saying.

I didn't say they have to. I said I think they need to.

It's not illegal to rehome or resell a dog. But if you come on to a purebred dog forum looking for advice about it, then you need to contact the breeder about it.

I think we are saying the same thing, just misunderstanding each other! :hug:

Seems like it.

In our sales contract you have too

I'm sorry but once a person buys a dog they can do as they wish, a sales contract 'most' of the time isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Sorry I wasn't looking to make anything into a debate, just making a correction to something that was said.

I believe in many cases the dog would be better off with the Breeder so I'm not suggesting the Breeder isn't a suitable person....never made mention of that of all, just stating the legal status.

Sales contract are worth the paper there written on when done correctly :) The new purchasers sign it per the agreements & its a binding contract.

Our contract has been done & approved via solicitors ,its a case of how much you want to spend fighting it

Its seems breeders are dammed if they do & dammed if they dont buy you.

If they dont take there dogs back they called names.when its suggested they atleast be informed of whats happening its known of there business.

common sense will tell you wont get your money back selling an adult dog nor should rehoming be about that ,its about finding the prefcet home for that individual dog & its needs.

The OP seems to be doing a good job thus far & hopefully these people will be the the owners she is wishing for

Sharon I am sorry to hear that you have been having problems with Digi :D

Try not to beat yourself up over your decision, I'm sure you will be able to find Digi a lovely home, you have a lot on your plate so take care.....

Have you posted in the Newfy thread? Someone there might be able to help you finding a new home for Digi.

Update:

I still have Digi, the couple from the weekend didn't work out.

I have made contact with some other people so will be hoping someone can

give Digi the home he deserves.

Cassie,

OMG this has been so hard as you know how much I love the big boofa.

I was trying so hard to work through the problems with Digi as I really thought it was

his Teen stage coming to light LOL you know how these boofas can be at that age.

BDL,

I wish we could keep Digi but after speaking to our trainer and her saying the best action

is to rehome Digi, it's best this way.

I have been in touch with The Newfoundland Club NSW so I'm hoping they can help with this

situation but I might also go on the Newfy Thread and ask there.

Tony

Some disabled People will set off this aspect of prey drive in a dog.

Our trainer said something similar and that's why she has reccommended Digi gets rehomed.

Sharon

Edited by Raven

Hi Raven,

I have a Collie Rough (actually I have two but he is one of the pair) who was surrendered because he was showing the same behaviour. I had never come across a dog like that before and it really made me think hard.

Firstly, we don't have young children so we do have the luxury of retraining. But, in all the reading I did on this the thing that made the most sense was that this behaviour didn't happen overnight. What starts out as pushing between a child and the parent or the dog growling as a puppy over his dinner bowl can become - at puberty - a dog that is pushing the boundaries in a very unreasonable way.

I don't know your dog but the age that this has occurred is exactly the age this collie started showing it as well. One of the reasons I read was that as a pup or juvenile, these dominant natured dogs aren't wanting to be head of the pack, but come the onset of adulthood and they start to flex their muscles.

We were so shocked to see this dog launch at the front door and his level of agro over his dinner was just crazy. We made minor headway until I reached a deadend and then a friend mentioned Cesar Milan. I don't think his methods would work for my other collie but they have made this young lad that we have here into a delightful happy friendly dog. We pay about $15 per month to do the online modules and it is the best money I ever spent on training.

He is still a boofhead but he is able to be recalled from any potential situation now and last night my 18 year old daughter walked in the door and he offered her a sit as opposed to leaping on her - it was so subtle - we nearly forgot to reward for it.

Good luck, you must be feeling very down about this situation and I am sure he is a great dog. But I guess he is also a big dog and your son's needs have to come first.

Thanks Mym,

I'm continuing all training with Digi but the situation with my son will never get better.

If my trainer had've said to me "Sharon, we can fix this" I would be doing it in a flash ( I was hoping she would say it)

Yes it has happened over time and I blame myself not reading the signs, I thought Digi was going through his puppy

stage of jumping etc and I never thought he would get so aggressive with my son.

I feel as if I have failed Digi and it's breaking my heart :) .

Thanks again for the support

Sharon

Thanks Mym,

I'm continuing all training with Digi but the situation with my son will never get better.

If my trainer had've said to me "Sharon, we can fix this" I would be doing it in a flash ( I was hoping she would say it)

Yes it has happened over time and I blame myself not reading the signs, I thought Digi was going through his puppy

stage of jumping etc and I never thought he would get so aggressive with my son.

I feel as if I have failed Digi and it's breaking my heart :rofl: .

Thanks again for the support

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

You havent failed Digi- this is just something that happened, you could never have guessed it would and you are doing the best you can. :laugh:

Its a shame it didnt work out with the people on the weekend but Im sure it wont take long for you to find him a new home.

:thumbsup:

Dee x

Update

I thought I would come in and update you all with what is happening with Digi.

He had his assessment done last week and he was such a good boy until a young child

went past on his bike. The trainer saw then he is stressed by young children. She said he is

a beautiful boy but will need someone who has experience with Giant Breeds and without

young children.

I was notified yesterday that a Foster Home has been found for Digi, I have to take him to meet

his new foster mum on Wednesday. I have been in tears since finding out he will be gone on Wednesday

but I know that he will find a loving home and that's all I want for him.

I will be spending all my free time with him and taking lots of photos before I say goodbye forever.

Thankyou to everyone that has given me so much support with your posts here and the PM's I have recieved

they have helped so much.

Sharon