Allergy

Nichole

I know there has been heaps of topics on allergies and I have done a search but still not sure.

My Amstaff has really pink skin inbetween his toes on his feet and a red belly. He licks at his feet and paws.

He gets fed Royal Canin, Chicken Wings, sardines, Beef mince and rice. Not all at the same time but mixed up.

Is there anything in that diet that could be causing? or maybe its just Grass which we unfortunatley can help having...

There is no welts or pimple like things just some redness.... puzzled! :thumbsup:

If your dog just started doing all these licking suddenly, then chances are not food coz you have been feeding them the same all these while isn't it? Unless you switched to a new meal source, then you can suspect your food vendor.

Usually when my dog start licking themselves all over, I suspect my house cleanliness 1st. Because we use cleaning agents on the floor, sofa, curtains etc and our dogs touches them all the time, I have better chance over it. It might me the cleaning agent have a new formula, or simply its just not clean enough. When my parents come over and overhaul my cleaning agents to what they prefer, all my dogs start licking their paws and the belly got red....and all these do not happen over night, they happen over a period of weeks which they gradually start licking more and more.

Next I will go and check out the surrounding...like are there any construction causing pollution of any kind etc. Noise, air and water pollution can trigger allergic reaction.

Also I will check your grooming products...are they expired, high in chemical contents etc? I have experience with grooming products that when apply over time, the dog gets to itch. Things like leave-on stuffs such as conditioner, rinseless shampoo, whitening powder, creams, sprays etc all will irritate your dog over time which you do not find any problem when you just apply them.

If you suspect its food, do a elimination diet. That works every time. If its cleanliness, just use natural cleaning agent. All my human clothes, their doggie stuffs I use a eucalyptus based cleaning solution to laundry. They are mild and effective against bacteria. If its grooming products, I'll just switch to all natural organic forms.

Hope that helps.

It is not a food allergy. Food allergies are generally characterised by all over itching and repeated problems with the ears.

Your dog sounds like it has a contact allergy, shown by the fact the irritation is on the paws and underbelly.