At Witts End

MrBusy

Earlier this year we lost our lovely young Border Collie who was a gift from the Dog God, his only vice was pulling on the lead which we were working on and he was improving.

We were devastated and of course let the breeder know. As luck would have it she had a litter coming up from the same Dam but different Sire. As we had not meet the Sire before we travel to see him - he was a great big gentle sook of dog. So we decided to put our name down for a new pup from this litter. WELL - this new pup(he is now 5 1/2mths old) is a gift from the Dog Devil.

His vices - Pulling on the lead, we are addressing this and he is getting much butter. Running around the yard and house (if he gets a change) like a total twit. When he is confined -moaning and groaning no barking. Chasing the vac cleaner, broom, mower & cars I am sure if he got the chance. Everything you touch or pick up he tries to take. Wining and moaning at any movement especially bees, flys & shadows in and outside the house. Nipping at legs and feet. When you pat him he sometimes mouths which is a definite no no & at times he will actually snap (almost bite) at my otherhalf. Not too bad I suppose consider some stories I have heard about other dogs.

He obviously thinks he is the top dog.

I have tried as many methods as I can find on this site to try and curb his behaviour but nothing seems to be working. I do not subscribe to any physical reprimands. He is with either one or both of us 90% of the time. He is getting basic obedience training, regular walks and has a huge yard. At obedience training the trainers indicated that we were over indulging him and this would cause problems so we have not been paying as much attention to him.

We are at our wits end and have even considered the option of sending him back to the breeder but we could not live with ourselves he is our responsibility so any help/comments would be very appreciated.

Welcome to the world of owning a dog with some "drive".

I'd suggest some formal sessions with a trainer that help you to "harness the power". They can show you how to use your dogs drive and energy to your advantage, rather than allowing it to create the frustrations that you are experiencing.

I agree with SBT :laugh:

Dogs with plenty of drive can be frustrating if you are not used to harnessing all that energy, but once you know how to use it rather than fight it, they are great dogs with quick responses for training.

yup he has drive and he sounds bored! He needs activities to keep his mind stimulated and for you to show you are the boss in the house!

http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_7888_dog-tri...lling-over.html

there is a list here of videos that have tricks. The pulling you can stop in a session. Instead of stopping, I want you to change direction and call the dog happily, have him on a long leash, and when he comes to you immediately say 'YES!! GOOD DOG!' pat and walk on. Every time he looks at you PRAISE! you do not need food constantly, just as a jackpot when he's really behaving.

If he looses attention, when you change direction do little tugs on the lead, sharp POP POP POP on his collar to snap his mind out of it. This redirects the dog, dont be afraid if he's ignoring to make them a little sharper! As soon as he turns keep talking 'COME, COME BOY COME ON GOOD DOG!' until he reaches you. The trick is to flood the mind and keep him focussed and motivated. You know the technique when police are apprehending a suspect and they constantly yell at them? Same theory behind it - flood the mind and other actions/thoughts are hard to do when the mind is so focussed on the flood of speech or sensation.

Also maybe consider some herding classes if there is a club around. You will find he settles once he learns some more structure. He is a working dog and wants to work!

Dear All,

Thank you for all your help. Now just need to find a qualified and good trainer in my area. Will check out the yellow pages.

Herding classes - never heard (pardon the pun) was thinking flyball. But will check out the hearding.

Cheers

Dear All,

Thank you for all your help. Now just need to find a qualified and good trainer in my area. Will check out the yellow pages.

Herding classes - never heard (pardon the pun) was thinking flyball. But will check out the hearding.

Cheers

Agility is also a good option. Where are you located? Someone may know a good local trainer/club.

Dear All,

Cheers

Agility is also a good option. Where are you located? Someone may know a good local trainer/club.

We are located in the Maitland area of NSW. I though of agility but need to wait until he is at least 18mts I have been told.

Dear All,

Cheers

We are located in the Maitland area of NSW. I though of agility but need to wait until he is at least 18mts I have been told.

14-18 months for agility.. .and I'd recommend the same for flyball. That leaves obedience or herding (which can be hard on a young dog)

Hi MR BUSY...Welcom to my World!

Jane sounds very similar to your dog and the best thing we did was get a pheromone diffuser that you plug into the wall. Apparently it mimics the calming pheromones the mother dog gives out to her pups. Its odorless but has worked a treat with our very hyper-stimulated pup and has enabled us to actually enjoy our beautiful dog. We can know pat and cuddle her without her getting over excited and then esculating into DOG from HELL!

Apparently it can take up to a month to work but with us, we could see an improvement from the first day. We have now had it for a week and while we still do loads of training with Jane and she is still a naughty 'out there' pup,she is, for the first time, able to RELAX with us!

Check it out...love to know what you think!

Hi Mr Busy. That sounds like my vizsla :rofl: You were so lucky with the other dog, but this is the real deal.

I agree with PoodleFan and others. I tried ignoring my viz when she was 'out of control', but that did not help at all. I have never used physical reprimands either, ever, for kids or animals. However, I did find that a sharp ARGH!! would get her attention and stop the unacceptable behaviour. It is easy to be 'indulgent' when you have had an easy dog, but some dogs will really be over the top if you do not teach them how to behave. I have to keep my wits about me at all times with the viz, with my spinone I can be as soft as I like, and she is always an angel. Very different personalities.

It's a great idea to get a little outside help with a trainer etc. and will really boost your confidence and hopefully things will start to improve. You have a fantastic dog for doggy sports :hug: and I'm sure will notice great changes by maturity. Dogs like this are great fun and work really well. It's worth the hard work, I ADORE and love my viz to bits and wouldn't have her any other way :rofl:

I just remembered a game I would play with her (and still do) when she was little. Hide and seek. In the garden or the house. She loved it, kept her mind and body busy. They learn to 'find' very quickly. So if you can use a person or a toy (and have a name for the toy), then tell the dog to FIND BUNNY (after hiding it in an easy spot graduating to a difficult spot later), this can give hours of fun and enjoyment while they are learning something. We would also hide in the bushes or behind a tree etc. in the garden. Just an idea you might like to try. Of course you have to train them for this slowly by teaching all the steps, starting with the object in full view and praising when they 'find' the object, then moving it a little further each time, or placing it under a pillow or in a box, in view, and so on.

Qualified trainer is definitely the go- but please find one who is open to a variety of techniques and methods. You have a high drive pup who is likely to need a correction of some kind, at some point and its best for a qualified person to show you exactly what needs to be done. He also needs to spend time away from you- independence training and crate training if you haven't already would be a good idea.

Edited by Cosmolo