150 Dogs Seized Wondai

neorotic

I've donated 50 brand new collars to the shelter. :madThey are going to need extra supplies to be able cope with such a large number of dogs. I'm guttered to see such shameful breeding program. :laugh:

Extra supplies which they will not be paying for.

Sorry but I disagree completely with donating goods or money to the SPCA for these dogs when all their expenses are going to be met by an agency other than the SPCA. Practical help - go for it but even volunteer groomers I would think twice about since surely this cost will be paid for for those requiring it. As it would probably get the dogs groomed and comfortable more quickly then perhaps yes but not with the thought that otherwise it won't happen at all.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is good and bad everywhere, in every organisation. My little donation of goods and time to the RSPCA might have a minute increase on their ability to pursue things I am not in agreement with, but my CCCQ membership would also fund an organisation which currently lends credability to and provides services for some people who pursue activities I am not in agreement with either.

I've been seeing paralels between this thread and the documentary thread, maybe I'm the only one who has but it's given me a bit of a rethink so yeah, I'll be making a donation of goods and I'll be fostering some of the poor unfortunates.

Edited by Kissindra

kissindra

but my CCQ membership would also fund an organisation which currently lends credability to and provides services for some people who pursue activities I am not in agreement with either.

Which organisation is that? :laugh:

If you give stuff to the RSPCA rather than money, I do believe it does go to the dogs. I wouldn't give them anything, except bubonic plague or boils, but people have to make up their own minds, and if you think they are ok, go for it, I guess.

Edited by Jed

...that would be the CCCQ minus a C, duly edited :laugh:

I do have to be honest and say that in the scheme of things I would advocate many other animal welfare organisations ahead of the RSPCA, but in terms of this time, this seizure and these dogs I'm choosing to give some items and some time fostering.

Kissindra

but my CCQ membership would also fund an organisation which currently lends credability to and provides services for some people who pursue activities I am not in agreement with either.

I knew what you meant by CCQ ... It was "organisation" as bolded above I was enquiring about. Or were you saying the CCCQ provides services for people whose activities you are not in agreement with?

If so, yep, but I have no choice.

Like paying taxes really, don't agree with what they do, but have to cough up anyhow. :( Must say, I do agree with most of what the CCCQ does. I am not regulated into giving to the RSPCA, so don't.

Jed - a fair point I had not considered, though that does raise some questions for me! One factor people cite as an issue with forming how the RSPCA operates is a lack of members with a broader perspective to vote. Since with the canine control councils membership is necessary for a broad range of stakeholders, how does this then translate into voting power/members being able to influence policy etc.? If you could give me a bit more info on this or point me in the direction of where to find it I'd much appreciate it :laugh:

Cavalier - at this stage they are not able to seek permanent homes, when they will is dependant on the outcome of legal proceedings and how long those end up taking. So yes, just foster carers at this stage, I'll put the word out when I know more but you could certainly give them a call and see if they are recording names of people interested in adopting specific breeds.

You could also get in touch with the breed rescue :laugh:

I've donated 50 brand new collars to the shelter. :cry:They are going to need extra supplies to be able cope with such a large number of dogs. I'm guttered to see such shameful breeding program. :noidea:

Extra supplies which they will not be paying for.

Sorry but I disagree completely with donating goods or money to the SPCA for these dogs when all their expenses are going to be met by an agency other than the SPCA. Practical help - go for it but even volunteer groomers I would think twice about since surely this cost will be paid for for those requiring it. As it would probably get the dogs groomed and comfortable more quickly then perhaps yes but not with the thought that otherwise it won't happen at all.

My understanding is that BQ will only be paying food and veterinary costs they aren't supplying goods as such, they actually sent out an email asking for donations of stuff as the agreement doesn't cover collars and things.

Kissidndra

Since with the canine control councils membership is necessary for a broad range of stakeholders, how does this then translate into voting power/members being able to influence policy etc.? If you could give me a bit more info on this or point me in the direction of where to find it I'd much appreciate it

There is no voting by CCCQ members for the council, which is appointed by the RNA. There was a postal vote of members (oh, last year maybe?) to change the way the council is appointed - to annual elections. The motion was defeated.

So there is no choice, but it is what the members decided. If you have points of issue, you can either raise them with the CCCQ office, or one of the councillors, or one of the members of a subcommittee. Bottom line is that members don't have a lot of power, and apparently are happy with that.

I am a member because I must be, to register my dogs, and although I think the CCCQ missed the boat/didn't act/or acted inappropriately in certain circumstances (not to do with breeding matters), generally it's ok with me, and I am happy to abide by the coe.

As long as you realise it is a body for the registration of dogs, and running shows etc, training judges etc. you don't expect anything else much, so you are not too unhappy.

Re the dogs seized - I hope they will be fostered into very kind and loving homes. They haven't had a very good deal so far, and they deserve better. People who foster them should realise that a lot of them will have issues, and some have never been inside a house, or recived much attention, and in my experience, dogs like this are often perceived to be behaving badly, when they are confused and stressed, and trying hard to oblige.

Suppose someone will explain that to would be fosterers.

Cavalier, if you want an adult cavalier, there are often rescues available, or breeders rehoming ex show dogs or ex breeding dogs -- not many, and you need to be fast. Cav rescue often has dogs looking for good homes.

:confused: Jed ;)

There was new footage on the news today of some of the dogs being cleaned up and treated :)

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland...90915-fp5o.html

Pregnant dogs crowd RSPCA shelterMARISSA CALLIGEROS

September 15, 2009 .

Puppies born to dogs seized from a central Queensland property last week may soon be given homes if the State Government successfully gains ownership of the newborns.

Of the 244 malnourished and diseased dogs seized from a South Burnett property during an animal welfare raid last week, more than 20 are pregnant.

The expectant dogs have been housed at the RSPCA's Fairfield shelter, which is already overcrowded due to an influx of runaways, strays and surrendered dogs.

-------------------------------

RSPCA shelter fills to capacity with seized dogs

-------------------------------

Labradors, cocker spaniels, beagles, golden retrievers, fox terriers and Jack Russells were among the breeds seized from the Wondai property.

Biosecurity Queensland will apply for "forced forfeiture" of the puppies born at the RSPCA shelter in a bid to have them swiftly re-homed, a department spokeswoman said.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said one litter was born at the shelter on Thursday, while another female unexpectedly gave birth over the weekend.

"We have another dog here that could give birth within a matter of hours," Mr Beatty said. "It's a nightmare. We think up to 100 females could be pregnant."

Biosecurity Queensland will apply for ownership of the newborn puppies via the courts, although the application process may be prolonged.

ETA - I Removed a section here

"In the short term we would obviously be looking for foster carers. Inspectors seize a number of animals sadly on a yearly basis and without our foster carers we probably wouldn't be able to cope," Mr Beatty said.

He said people willing to care for a desperate dog or two needed to complete a three-hour training session at the RSPCA shelter and a property check to become a volunteer animal foster carer.

"We're hoping that in this particular case more foster carers do come through. We are just coping. The dogs are now happy at least."

Edited by Kissindra

Attention : ALL RESPONSIBLE LABRADOR RETRIEVER OWNERS / BREEDERS

The Labrador Retriever Club of Qld Inc "Rescue & Rehome Service" has been approached by RSPCA Fairfield

to assist with the fostering of a number of Labs and litters seized from the Wondai property.

A brief RSPCA training and assessement session will be required prior to fostering - this could be coordinated as a group session via the Lab Club.

If you reside in SE Queensland and can assist by fostering a litter until 8 weeks of age or an older Lab for an indefinate period please contact so you details can be added to the list of possible foster carers:

The President

LRCQ Inc.

Ms Di Rapson

[email protected]

The Labrador Retriever Club of Qld Inc "Rescue & Rehome Service" has been approached by RSPCA Fairfield

to assist with the fostering of a number of Labs and litters seized from the Wondai property.

A brief RSPCA training and assessement session will be required prior to fostering - this could be coordinated as a group session via the Lab Club.

If you reside in SE Queensland and can assist by fostering a litter until 8 weeks of age or an older Lab for an indefinate period please contact so you details can be added to the list of possible foster carers:

The President

LRCQ Inc.

Ms Di Rapson

[email protected]

I can't do a thing about taking a dog or puppies. I moved to a smaller property a few weeks ago and can no longer do rescue. I took on my last rescue lab and rehomed him a few weeks ago.

However, I do now live within 5 minutes of the Fairfield shelter so have volunteered my services there wherever I can help out. For those who have an opinion about the RSPCA, I care not for politics but for the dogs. I will not with hold the help I can give to the dogs because of politics.

Blackdog, you have a lovely big area to foster a few labs now don't you. :laugh: Every breeder should be participating in rescue. If a breeder has ever homed an entire puppy then they may well be partly responsible for some of these dogs. The purebred dogs in puppy farms have to come from somewhere.

The President

LRCQ Inc.

Ms Di Rapson

[email protected]

I can't do a thing about taking a dog or puppies. I moved to a smaller property a few weeks ago and can no longer do rescue. I took on my last rescue lab and rehomed him a few weeks ago.

However, I do now live within 5 minutes of the Fairfield shelter so have volunteered my services there wherever I can help out. For those who have an opinion about the RSPCA, I care not for politics but for the dogs. I will not with hold the help I can give to the dogs because of politics.

Blackdog, you have a lovely big area to foster a few labs now don't you. :laugh: Every breeder should be participating in rescue. If a breeder has ever homed an entire puppy then they may well be partly responsible for some of these dogs. The purebred dogs in puppy farms have to come from somewhere.

Yes - but my property is comfortably filled with our own Labs thanks very much.

And fostering the adults could be for an indefinate period.

But I have volunteered to assist with one of the litters + mum.

And as for "every breeder" being responsible - well I'm not just that into desexing baby puppies.

Hard to get my head around "chopping" into a 6 week old baby.

And as for "every breeder" being responsible - well I'm not just that into desexing baby puppies.

Wonder if your vet agree with the "chopping" terminology? The desexing is generally done at 8 weeks rather than 6. Whenever you sell an entire pup you have to consider that it may end up in a puppy farm, regardless of how well vetted the puppy buyers are.

Great that you're helping out with a litter and mother. :laugh: Rescuing a dog isn't always convenient but I do believe it is the shared responsibility of all breeders.

Wonder if your vet agree with the "chopping" terminology? The desexing is generally done at 8 weeks rather than 6. Whenever you sell an entire pup you have to consider that it may end up in a puppy farm, regardless of how well vetted the puppy buyers are.

Great that you're helping out with a litter and mother. :laugh: Rescuing a dog isn't always convenient but I do believe it is the shared responsibility of all breeders.

Dear Pointeeblab - Actually most vets won't go near EAD (early age desexing) of puppies.

It is not supported by AVA nor was it found to be justified in a report commissioned by Qld Govt by Dr Linda Marston (Monash Uni).

It is a valuable "shelter management tool" where litters of unowned puppies are surrended.

But for me to have a baby Lab desexed (and still ready to go to new families at 8 weeks of age) desexing would need to be done at 6 weeks.

That allows for sufficient recovery time post op, wound treatment etc.

So yes - chopping is a really accurate term - removing the entire reproductive system of a baby bitch is MAJOR Surgery.

Oh and just BTW - if that baby puppy dies whilst on the table who's to blame?

Will the do-gooder, tree huggers come and wrap an arm around my shoulder and comfort me in my time of loss.

No way in the bloody world.

And just in closing - my responsibility is to my dogs and my clients - something that I have done very successfully for 30 years.

It is NOT my responsibility to rescue dogs at all - but in cases like the Wondai seizure I am more than willing to help.

Which is exactly why LRCQ Inc runs a Rescue & Rehome Service.

"Here endeth the first reading".